Leon Best

Godot

Nothing ever seems to make me laugh more that Alan Pardew's celebration at 1:32 in Leon Best is Mint. The synergies with the music are incredible, it's just out of this world.

Nah, it's the little eyebrow-raise at 0:29 that gets me every time.

Nothing ever seems to make me laugh more that Alan Pardew's celebration at 1:32 in Leon Best is Mint. The synergies with the music are incredible, it's just out of this world.

:snod:

I was going on about that the other day, and don't get me wrong it's arousing, but this is a bit special. It's like he's only just realised how good Leon is, it's incredible.

Guest palnese

Left foot, right foot, head.

He's very two footed like, I think he's right footed, but I'm not 100 % sure.

He's right footed.

What was Best like?

Booked, missed a good chance and subbed at half time is all I heard.  Not doing himself any favours by the sounds of things as he was poor against Spurs aswell.

Did well I thought, one of two creative sparks in our side first half. Did well to create some openings from nothing on the left flank, but always a bit too much to do. Worked hard and was unlucky to be taken off IMO.

Hit a very tame header from point blank that he ought to have buried though.

What was Best like?

Booked, missed a good chance and subbed at half time is all I heard.  Not doing himself any favours by the sounds of things as he was poor against Spurs aswell.

Did well I thought, one of two creative sparks in our side first half. Did well to create some openings from nothing on the left flank, but always a bit too much to do. Worked hard and was unlucky to be taken off IMO.

Hit a very tame header from point blank that he ought to have buried though.

:thup:

One thing you can always rely on from him is that he'll work his socks off every match.

He wasn't poor against Spurs at all, that's nonsense. He wasn't poor today either. It was a good chance which he probably should have buried, but in fairness to Al-Habsi, it was a really good reaction save and i thought Leon was a touch unfortunate. We could have used his centre-forward play in the second half; i think there were more long balls than Pardew had envisaged - purely cos the substitution to counter Wigan's centre-mid didn't really come off.

I'd start with Ba and Best again at Stoke like.

He wasn't poor against Spurs at all, that's nonsense. He wasn't poor today either. It was a good chance which he probably should have buried, but in fairness to Al-Habsi, it was a really good reaction save and i thought Leon was a touch unfortunate. We could have used his centre-forward play in the second half; i think there were more long balls than Pardew had envisaged - purely cos the substitution to counter Wigan's centre-mid didn't really come off.

Agree with all of that.

Agree with all of that.

agree about spurs, he got subbed at a point when he'd started winning the ball and holding it up and laying it off well.....today it never looked like it was coming,lucky not to be sent off, poor movement and poor when he had the ball.

He was very hit and miss today I thought. One minute he was Leonel Besty and the next he was Peter Lovenbest.

Pretty much this. Was shitting myself when he essentially took out the Wigan player in the first half (mis-timed challenge, that was all). Really thought he was going to get sent off.

Do the majority of the crowd unfailry criticise him, or is it just my area?  In particular me mates Dad has a massive agenda when it comes to Besty.  Anything good, it's 'about time he done something worthwhile, he's been shite' etc.  Any tiny mistake, fuck up or missed chance it's 'get him off he's shite, disgraceful, atrocious, terrible etc etc.  Similar comments from most around me as well.

Not trying to sound like a sanctimonious know it all tosser, but do people not actually realise what he brings to the team?  He wins so much in the air for his size, his holding the ball up and link up play is usually tidy and he gets in goalscoring positions.  Don't get me wrong, he can be frustrating and he has his faults, but the amount of stick he gets is a bit OTT, it borders on abuse, he's hardly Alan Smith FFS!

Ba doesn't help either, I know he's instructed to drop deep and help out, but at times against Spurs and Wigan, the nearest NUFC player was about 30 yards away and Ba was off playing left wing. 

In time I would bloody well hope he becomes 3rd choice, I only really see him as a 5-10 goal a season back up striker, but his all round game is very underrated.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

He was very hit and miss today I thought. One minute he was Leonel Besty and the next he was Peter Lovenbest.

Pretty much this. Was shitting myself when he essentially took out the Wigan player in the first half (mis-timed challenge, that was all). Really thought he was going to get sent off.

Thought he got lucky with that one.