Toon Army: North America

Guest toonarmymia

1 hour ago, madras said:

Fanfest? What's this ?

Town centre full of full kit wanker Yanks badly organised for the TV channel showing EPL games yesterday. 

Shearer and Richards (iirc) there as well. 

In Philadelphia. 

Looked shit

Edited by Groundhog63

1 minute ago, Groundhog63 said:

Town centre full of full kt wanker Yanks badly organised for the TV channel showing EPL games yesterday. 

Shearer and Richards (iirc) there as well. 

In Philadelphia. 

Looked shit

Fair enough ;D

1 hour ago, SEMTEX said:

Went to the fanfest in Philadelphia yesterday.

Probably top 10 worst experiences in my life. Dragged my 3 year old to this "family event"... 3 hours in line to get in. Got in with 20 minutes of the match left, having arrived an hour and a half before kickoff. And then everything inside was a massive wait too.

As the father of a 4 & 6-year-old, I can't believe you didn't about-face after 30min. I respect your perseverance to make sure the entire experience made your top 10 shit list. Please tell me it was free? 

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

3 hours in line with a 3-year old? Don't know if there's a worse experience on paper than that, other than actual torture

Taking my 2-year old to Disney World next week with the in-laws*, not looking forward to trying to keep her on track during all the queueing there.

*jesus fucking christ

Just now, Miercoles said:

Taking my 2-year old to Disney World next week with the in-laws*, not looking forward to trying to keep her on track during all the queueing there.

*jesus fucking christ

Trying to do Disney on hard mode. Respect the hustle, but RIP.

1 hour ago, Miercoles said:

*jesus fucking christ

Oof...I did that for my son's 10th, brutal experience with the in-laws

3 hours ago, SEMTEX said:

Probably top 10 worst experiences in my life. Dragged my 3 year old to this "family event"... 3 hours in line to get in. Got in with 20 minutes of the match left, having arrived an hour and a half before kickoff. And then everything inside was a massive wait too.

Ouch. Sorry, sounds like a disaster. You’re welcome to come to the Missing Falls Brewery in Akron for a game. They have a load of classic pinball machines too.

2 hours ago, Miercoles said:

*jesus fucking christ

Go when the parks open, if you can make that work. Like literally be in line while they are about to open. If you can somehow do that on a weekday versus a weekend, even better. School is still in session here so you will be better off doing that. If you go to any of the parks on weekends, again, go in the morning, first thing. You will literally deal with a fraction or no lines. 

4 hours ago, SEMTEX said:

Bummer man, sorry to hear that. I wanted to go to just try and meet Big Al. 

4 hours ago, SEMTEX said:

Saw a bit of it, looked bad. Loads of snotty kids wearing Man City and Liverpool shirts and aggressively pointing at the badges on the shirt like they grew up in Moss side or Bootle or something and have been fans for years. Had to turn it off, couldn't imagine queueing for that shit.

35 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Bummer man, sorry to hear that. I wanted to go to just try and meet Big Al. 

Wore my BIG AL Testimonial shirt in hopes I'd see him and get it signed. Sounds like he fucked off sharpish after the game. Smart lad. Ian Wright and Ben Foster (and SHEAMUS!!) randomly walked past me at one point, but fuck them y'knaa.

In general though, this was a rare opportunity to take the kid to something football related, and a rare opportunity for football fans in Philly/the US to go to an event that actually catered for them. I think people in the UK maybe don't get how isolating it can be when nee fucker gives a shit about the sport/team you're obsessed with. Just a shame they fucked it up so badly... It would've been fine if they released like.. half as many tickets.

Still, they had a big wall of sequins and free shirt printing with nee wait! Profit.

29 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

Wore my BIG AL Testimonial shirt in hopes I'd see him and get it signed. Sounds like he fucked off sharpish after the game. Smart lad. Ian Wright and Ben Foster (and SHEAMUS!!) randomly walked past me at one point, but fuck them y'knaa.

In general though, this was a rare opportunity to take the kid to something football related, and a rare opportunity for football fans in Philly/the US to go to an event that actually catered for them. I think people in the UK maybe don't get how isolating it can be when nee fucker gives a shit about the sport/team you're obsessed with. Just a shame they fucked it up so badly... It would've been fine if they released like.. half as many tickets.

Still, they had a big wall of sequins and free shirt printing with nee wait! Profit.

It’s a bit weird that they fucked it up quite so badly. I wonder if they haven’t worked out exactly who they’re doing it for.

Like, when I first went to my local Spurs fan club earlier this year I figured it would be a load of ex-pats, but no, it’s not clear if anyone there actually has any physical/familial connection to the club. I felt a bit like I was on display at the zoo - a weird and fabulous creature that they were slightly in awe of.

That said, the NY Spurs meet-up I went to years back in Brooklyn (special guest, Ossie Ardiles) was a bit more old-school. Probably a function of how much more cosmopolitan NY obviously is.

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

Go when the parks open, if you can make that work. Like literally be in line while they are about to open. If you can somehow do that on a weekday versus a weekend, even better. School is still in session here so you will be better off doing that. If you go to any of the parks on weekends, again, go in the morning, first thing. You will literally deal with a fraction or no lines. 

Aye that's definitely the plan, we're not going to any parks on the weekend and hopefully it will help that it's off-season as well.

Still, my daughter is extremely 2, so I'm bracing myself for a ten day shit show lol.

Also my in laws can be a lot sometimes, the dad is a control freak the mom is in a mobility scooter, and the sister is one of those who orders their meal with 5 modifications.

The crux will be whether they understand the practical impact of a toddler on the day to day experience, pre-covid they did this trip every other year and did everything the exact same way every time, same hotel, same rides, same restaurants... It's bizarre to me but whatever it's a well entrenched edifice and I am not going to try to uproot it at this late hour.

If, I get back from the trip, I still have my kid and I'm still married I'll consider that a result :thup:

23 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Like, when I first went to my local Spurs fan club earlier this year I figured it would be a load of ex-pats, but no, it’s not clear if anyone there actually has any physical/familial connection to the club. I felt a bit like I was on display at the zoo - a weird and fabulous creature that they were slightly in awe of.

It's always weird to me when I go to the Mile High Magpies meet ups on Saturdays/Sundays and they're singing songs about Sunderland like what the hell? :lol: Dudes, we have no relation to that actual rivalry. It always rubs me the wrong way (which is another reason I don't go that often). It feels so fake and hollow.

I’ll always cherish the moment I was asked to leave NYC’s number 1 NUFC fan club in Legends for being too negative and arguing with cunts that Pardew was shite as we were getting pumped by Arsenal. 

11 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

Aye that's definitely the plan, we're not going to any parks on the weekend and hopefully it will help that it's off-season as well.

Still, my daughter is extremely 2, so I'm bracing myself for a ten day shit show lol.

Also my in laws can be a lot sometimes, the dad is a control freak the mom is in a mobility scooter, and the sister is one of those who orders their meal with 5 modifications.

The crux will be whether they understand the practical impact of a toddler on the day to day experience, pre-covid they did this trip every other year and did everything the exact same way every time, same hotel, same rides, same restaurants... It's bizarre to me but whatever it's a well entrenched edifice and I am not going to try to uproot it at this late hour.

If, I get back from the trip, I still have my kid and I'm still married I'll consider that a result :thup:

You can preorder food on the Disney app (i'm sure you know this) and the scooter may help you cut some lines too! Good luck mate. Just take the bairn and fuck off with the Mrs. if you need to! 

11 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

If they do the trip on the regular I think I’d just go with their flow. I mean, a lot of the rides will have changed by now but the advantage you have is that your kid is two and pretty much everything will be amazing. Just have a plan for what the kid is going to do when you’re in the lines.

We went for the first time (at least, for me and the kids) a few years back with friends. Fortunately they’re really chilled, go-with-the-flow people like us so it worked. My guess is that the control freak will have it planned out, so you can just go with their itinerary. Let THEM get stressed out if need be. Having in-laws might be a bonus because they can take a turn watching your daughter to give you a break.

1 hour ago, leffe186 said:

It’s a bit weird that they fucked it up quite so badly. I wonder if they haven’t worked out exactly who they’re doing it for.

That said, the NY Spurs meet-up I went to years back in Brooklyn (special guest, Ossie Ardiles) was a bit more old-school. Probably a function of how much more cosmopolitan NY obviously is.

I mean, it was ticketed and they "sold out" of tickets for the Sunday. But I guess with free events they're anticipating a certain percentage of people don't show up. Liverpool vs Man City likely fucked on that percentage.

1 hour ago, leffe186 said:

If they do the trip on the regular I think I’d just go with their flow. I mean, a lot of the rides will have changed by now but the advantage you have is that your kid is two and pretty much everything will be amazing. Just have a plan for what the kid is going to do when you’re in the lines.

We went for the first time (at least, for me and the kids) a few years back with friends. Fortunately they’re really chilled, go-with-the-flow people like us so it worked. My guess is that the control freak will have it planned out, so you can just go with their itinerary. Let THEM get stressed out if need be. Having in-laws might be a bonus because they can take a turn watching your daughter to give you a break.

This is all really good advice and I needed to hear all of that haha, thank you.