Newcastle United 1 - 2 Everton - 05/03/11 - post match reaction from page 26

Dave

Looks like there'll be more goals. They're finding lots of space on the break. We're forcing quite a few chances as well.

Simpson looked completely lost in that more advanced position.

A decent Everton have evidently turned up today. Two competitive sides with roughly the same about of quality about them on the pitch, both look really hungry. Hope we can turn it around, but that was hardly a shameful showing. It does, of course, suck that we're behind having looked so in control though.

Arteta has been class, but has been allowed so much time on the ball it's untrue. Neutralising him by giving him no room to breathe is half the battle against these lot. Then it's just maintaining the pressure. We are creating chances, but we're way too exposed - and while the mounting injuries/players playing out of position aren't helping - we could at least keep a decent rough shape at the back.

Also, this forum is barmy at times :lol:

This game could be a turning point in the season and not in a good way.

This kind of team selection and performance, especially at home will see us sucked in to the thick of a relegation battle.

This kind of team selection and performance, especially at home will see us sucked in to the thick of a relegation battle.

I wouldn't go that far.

Another game we're pissing away. No reason to even think of Europe when we continue to not take our chances.

We've barely created any chances to take. Though we're down to the bare bones of our squad.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

No, man.

By saying team selection you imply there was a team to choose from, ffs Pardew had no options at all. We have no squad at the minute.

Another game we're pissing away. No reason to even think of Europe when we continue to not take our chances.

We've barely created any chances to take. Though we're down to the bare bones of our squad.

And we should still be up, those goals were stupid errors that should never happen.

A decent Everton have evidently turned up today. Two competitive sides with roughly the same about of quality about them on the pitch, both look really hungry. Hope we can turn it around, but that was hardly a shameful showing. It does, of course, suck that we're behind having looked so in control though.

Arteta has been class, but has been allowed so much time on the ball it's untrue. Neutralising him by giving him no room to breathe is half the battle against these lot. Then it's just maintaining the pressure. We are creating chances, but we're way too exposed - and while the mounting injuries/players playing out of position aren't helping - we could at least keep a decent rough shape at the back.

Also, this forum is barmy at times :lol:

You what? :lol:

There are more goals in this. It's not like we've been solid, we've panicked whenever the ball's come near our goal. I think it's a fair scoreline overall so far but I definitely don't think it's the end of the scoring.

As I've said countless times, when we have space (or should I say presented with space) we're a pretty good side and that's been true for decent parts of that half. Equally, get into us more and shut us down and you can easily get something from this.

This has all come about through the desire to crowbar fat-boy Taylor back into the team despite the fact that he's not as good as the other players in his position, put him on the bench and play the best players available in their best positions, for fuck's sake!

When Williamson had that chance at the end of the half it was a bit weird to think that would have put us level, felt like there was more than one goal in it, we were that bad.

It's always like this when S.Taylor is back in the line-up! Thought we had a solid back4 and now this local lad comes in and fuck everything up

I like to keep an open mind and not have my immutable opinions on players - but I look at him, and I can't help but think "walking liability". Even after we conceded, and he went on a marauding run down the right before a one-two eventually got away from him... I was convinced he was going to big boot the Everton lad. Instead he just put in a dirty-ish-looking tackle.

Doesn't look like he thinks - just plays on instinct and emotion.

Lot of overreaction to that first half.

Bringing Shola on makes sense, moving Simpson back to defense makes sense, would maybe prefer Jonas moved right and Lovenkrands on the left, Jonas' workrate could perhaps cover for some Taylor nonsense. 

Still a chance to take all 3 points.  Everton by no means impregnable.