Nobby Solano

Skirge

• 1 month later...

Just came across a wee highlights video of Nobby's goals for us on Utoob.

What a player he was :smitten:

Always loved a bit of Nobby action  :whistle:

See he's managing out on Peru now, perhaps he could do a bit of scouting work on the side.

• 3 months later...

http://www.cronicaviva.com.pe/index.php/deportes/futbol-internacional/54309-universitario-jugaria-amistoso-contra-newcastle-y-aston-villa

According to this, us & Villa are going to play a friendly in Lima against Universitario.

Ties in with the talk last month from Llambias of us going to Brazil for a pre-season tour perhaps?

I think that's what it means anyway, seems to mention something as well about the English clubs covering the costs of them travelling here...feck knows. Where's VI?

His crossing used make me hard.......rock fecking hard.

Always loved a header, just dont see enough these days.

Wasn't just his crossing either, his all round game and passing in general was f*cking class.

In todays game where it's more about midfield than anything else he would be a class CM IMO

Him and Robert on either side man  :smitten:

Guest bimpy474

His crossing used make me hard.......rock fecking hard.

Always loved a header, just dont see enough these days.

Wasn't just his crossing either, his all round game and passing in general was f*cking class.

In todays game where it's more about midfield than anything else he would be a class CM IMO

Him and Robert on either side man  :smitten:

Oh aye, it was just his crossing that made me purr the most. I cant remember the game but he was playing on the left, he crossed the ball with the outside of his right foot (like Neil describe for his great goal) for Shearer i think to head in.

Just simply brilliant  :smitten:

Guest Dontooner

A intelligent player that always picks a pass, ordinary looking crosses but always pins the tail on the donkey. Still remember his crossing stats were better than Beckham at his peak.

Nobby seems to be doing well as a manager.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news//tm_headline=ignored-for-hartlepool-job-but-now-solano-s-on-brink-of-glory%26method=full%26objectid=32236454%26siteid=72703-name_page.html

Ignored for Hartlepool job but now Solano's on brink of glory

by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle, Nov 15 2012

NOBBY SOLANO is on the brink of one of the most remarkable turnarounds in South American football as boss of Universitario.

The Geordie fan favourite and former Newcastle United star took over the Peruvian giants earlier this year with the 25-times Peru champions battling against relegation and lying cash-strapped at the bottom end of the table.

However, step by step Solano has turned it round with the club he played for in 2009.

And incredibly, after hauling the Peruvians up the table with 10 wins, eight draws and just four defeats, they now go into the final game of the regular season with a shout of qualifying for the Copa Libertadores – South America’s version of UEFA competition.

Solano told the Chronicle from Lima today: “We have one game left against another of my old clubs, Sporting Cristal, where I started my career. If we win we are in with a chance of qualifying for the Copa Libertadores which would be like qualifying for Europe.

“We’ve gone from scrapping at the bottom to climbing our way to the top. It has been a good season for us.”

Solano could not have wished for a better start to his managerial career.

Indeed, many questioned whether another good player would make a good manager.

Well, Solano has proved the sceptics wrong and boosted his managerial reputation as part of the bargain.

His application to be manager of faltering Hartlepool United was rather arrogantly dismissed out of hand at Victoria Park.

But Solano has proved in his home country he has what it takes to be a manager. He said: “When I first got the job, a lot of people wondered if I could do it. But I didn’t have time to worry about it.

“I knew there was a job to be done to save the club. So that’s what we have focused on.

“We have a lot of young players here and they have all pulled together.”

Toon fans will have their fingers crossed for Solano’s fourth-placed side against Sporting Cristal on Sunday.

And Nobby said: “That’s nice to know. I still think of Newcastle and the brilliant fans every day.

“I’ll be keeping an eye on the result for the Swansea game and hope my old side get back on track.

“I can’t wait to visit Newcastle again at the end of the season.

“But we still have work to do here first.”