Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

Internazionale Milano

AC Milan

One uses the English name, the other the Italian. You don't ever call AC Milan: 'Milano', because while its an alternative name for the city, it is not an alternative name for the football club.

Nobody ever says Inter Milano.

Have heard plenty Paree San Germain tbf to Madras. Might have even used myself in the past.

Any excuse to post this.

How was he deemed employable after that :lol:

Haven't checked when that was or if they'd done it before but I'm guessing at " because he won them their first ever title"

Internazionale Milano

AC Milan

One uses the English name, the other the Italian. You don't ever call AC Milan: 'Milano', because while its an alternative name for the city, it is not an alternative name for the football club.

Have heard plenty Paree San Germain tbf to Madras. Might have even used myself in the past.

'Inter' and 'Milan' is the correct way.

Using your spellings, Paris Sanjerman.

Well you're the first if true.

Show your working.

Just when yo hear people talking, it stands out a bit. Roma, Torino etc were good examples aswell that I just couldn't think of aswell at the time. Seville last night set me off.

Why do you say the first bit in an English way and the second bit in the French way?  Should say Paris saynt jorman if you really want to be consistent.

I'm with madras here, like, everybody says Paree, not Paris don't they?  Everybody I know does anyway.

Internazionale Milano

AC Milan

True that. Nobody ever goes Bayern Munchen though, which I assume is their official name.

Why do you say the first bit in an English way and the second bit in the French way?  Should say Paris saynt jorman if you really want to be consistent.

This is true like, all or nothing.

Internazionale Milano

AC Milan

The main one  for confusion I'm told is Bayern Munich, it should be Bavaria Munich or Bayern Munchen, is that true ?

Aye Bayern seem to be the one that doesn't follow the rules. I distinctly remember watching CL highlights on Rai in Italy and every team had their proper name, except Bayern who were inexplicably called Bayern Monaco.

I'm with madras here, like, everybody says Paree, not Paris don't they?  Everybody I know does anyway.

To be fair the two S's merge into one, so you could argue I'm just saying Paree anyway. But it's not on purpose.

Aye Bayern seem to be the one that doesn't follow the rules. I distinctly remember watching CL highlights on Rai in Italy and every team had their proper name, except Bayern who were inexplicably called Bayern Monaco.

:lol: :lol: dunno why I found this so funny like. Caught me completely by surprise.

EDIT: Seems to actually be a common Italian name for them:

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fu%C3%9Fball-Club_Bayern_M%C3%BCnchen

To be fair the two S's merge into one, so you could argue I'm just saying Paree anyway. But it's not on purpose.

:thup:

Parisanjerman, sorta.

[emoji38] [emoji38] dunno why I found this so funny like. Caught me completely by surprise.

That's simply because the city of Munich is called "Monaco" in the Italian language. Which doesn't do much for confusion, especially in the context of football.

At least it means Bayern remains the exception by having the city name declined in local language.

:lol: :lol: dunno why I found this so funny like. Caught me completely by surprise.

Not just the club, city is called Monaco in Italian. Sometimes Monaco di baviera

Parisanjerman, sorta.

What is up with most English pronunciations  :lol:

Leice= less helps but it doesn't tally with where the word comes from so you just have to chalk it down as English language being its own mysterious self.

Happens locally aswell. You get used to pronouncing Ovingham and Bellingham with a "j" but then you pronounce the "l" in Alnmouth and the River Aln.............but then Alnwick  :rant: