European U21 Championship

Guest sicko2ndbest

Spain are miles ahead of us in every single department. I think alot of it has to be blamed on the way in which the English game is structured. Over here, as soon as you get to secondary school at the age of 11, you are thrown onto 11-a side pitches, meaning the players are not developed enough for the large pitch. This means British school kids have a tendancy to just hoof it, whereas the Spanish play on small pitches until they are 16, meaning they get used to pass/move situations. Something that needs looking at as soon as possible really.

"Javi Martinez seems built for the Premier League." - Alan Smith.

In that statement he sums up everything that's wrong with our game. Don't primarily judge a player by how he's built, judge him by how good he is with the ball.

"Javi Martinez seems built for the Premier League." - Alan Smith.

In that statement he sums up everything that's wrong with our game. Don't primarily judge a player by how he's built, judge him by how good he is with the ball.

Exactly. I've known a few lads turned down at academy's because they were deemed too small. Woopdy fucking doo man, they had far more ability than anyone else my age but it seems as though all scouts etc are looking for these days is big, built lads.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Are English kids not taught to dribble or pass?

You're not too far away from the truth. Probably be another 5-10 years before you see anything remotely like Spain or Germany, and that's being optimistic. Most of the work done at the Academy at the moment is ball work, building confidence in 1v1 situations to be able to beat players. Not just with pace and knocking it past them, but with deft body movements, and close ball control. We're decades behind.

this tournament was a great opportunity to get mceachran and wilshere playing together in midfield. OH WELL. at least we have mancienne and muamba in the squad.

It shocked me when I found out that Mancienne had went to Hamburg. For the length of time he was on loan at Wolves, he must have been close to breaking their appearance record.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

In 35 minutes, I've seen little adventure or 'creativity' from this team beyond direct balls, and using a bit of pace. Nice wake up call for everyone.

In 35 minutes, I've seen little adventure or 'creativity' from this team beyond direct balls, and using a bit of pace. Nice wake up call for everyone.

Playing 4-4-2 and trying to hit the wings early seems to be gameplan but it's crippling us in the middle of the park when they have the ball as the central 2 aren't doing anywhere near enough pressing. They'd be getting bypassed it was 2v2 but since its Spains 3v2 its even worse. Need to get one of the strikers to drop back onto Martinez or something, the amount of space/time he's getting everytime is embarrassing.

I'm not able to see the game but I have to say that Stuart Pearce doesn't sound overly inspiring when I hear him interviewed.

I switched SSN off ealier when he started saying how important "passion and team spirit" were.

england at under 21 level have always been disjointed but they generally get by through having a good amount of end product in the side. i've seen us be outplayed by the likes of macedonia but still score a few out of nowhere.

the under 21 formula seems to be hoy a few big lads on the pitch, one or two speed merchants, a tricky but ultimately shit right winger (SWP, Pennant, Lennon, Routledge, now Rose) and someone everyone knows won't make it but tries hard so builds up a ridiculous amount of caps (Milner, Barry, Prutton, Muamba). add a flat track bully like defoe, jeffers or welbeck and you are good to go.