Sammy Ameobi released

James

Sammy will need a lot of work putting in to him if he's ever going to become a player we can regularly rely on.  He's got the ability to do good stuff but I don't think he has the footballing intelligence to bring everything together and like has been said, our coaching staff are unlikely to help him out in that department.  If he's going to come good, he's going to have to do it on his own.

Guest neesy111

This is it. He's an attacker with very poor awareness of those around him and no goalscoring instinct. I just don't see him having what it takes between the ears.

Would argue he has all the attributes to make it at the top level but he needs coaching massively, this isn't going to happen here.

:thup:

He's still the same as he was at 19 and he's now 22. No improvement in the meantime, massively frustrating.

Aye, he's basically the same player as he was in 2011.

Sammy will need a lot of work putting in to him if he's ever going to become a player we can regularly rely on.  He's got the ability to do good stuff but I don't think he has the footballing intelligence to bring everything together and like has been said, our coaching staff are unlikely to help him out in that department.  If he's going to come good, he's going to have to do it on his own.

You're talking about the player of a year ago, who was trying to do too much a lot of the time he had the ball, and was unreliable in helping his full back. He now plays much more to the situation in front of him, and puts in a decent defensive stint.

You can never be certain, but I think the lad has turned the corner.

You're talking about the player of a year ago, who was trying to do too much a lot of the time he had the ball, and was unreliable in helping his full back. He now plays much more to the situation in front of him, and puts in a decent defensive stint.

I'm talking about the player that he currently is, the one who falls over if the wind changes direction.  As for the defensive shift he puts in, I don't care about a forward putting in a defensive shift.  I care about what a forward does when trying to get at the opposition and he makes the wrong decision far too often and I don't know if he's capable of getting past that or if we're capable of coaching it out of him.  A forward doing work at the back is a bonus for me and one that comes after his work at the front.

I'm talking about the player that he currently is, the one who falls over if the wind changes direction.  As for the defensive shift he puts in, I don't care about a forward putting in a defensive shift.  I care about what a forward does when trying to get at the opposition and he makes the wrong decision far too often and I don't know if he's capable of getting past that or if we're capable of coaching it out of him.  A forward doing work at the back is a bonus for me and one that comes after his work at the front.

In Pardew's footballling philosophy of keep it tight and nick one late, Sammy wouldn't be in the team if he didn't put in a defensive shift.

Sammy's obviously improved over the last couple of years, his increased physical maturity is the main reason for that. He's now got to improve his end product and that includes getting more goals. He needs to be busting a gut to get on the end of crosses from the other side.

I don't see much improvement whatsoever since he got his first game 3 1/2 years ago. He's a very nice lad apparently but I don't think he's got the mentality to push his way into being a PL player.

He's a nice lad who's had a sound upbringing. Sometimes you need that drive from adversity to make it, he doesn't have it I don't think. The club are in part to blame for his lack of improvement, though.

This is it. He's an attacker with very poor awareness of those around him and no goalscoring instinct. I just don't see him having what it takes between the ears.

Would argue he has all the attributes to make it at the top level but he needs coaching massively, this isn't going to happen here.

:thup:

He's still the same as he was at 19 and he's now 22. No improvement in the meantime, massively frustrating.

How do you expect him to improve without regular football? Unless you think Pardew's coaching techniques are enough for him to show improvement?

Is that a deliberate wind up? The same as every f***ing player you idiot! Normally they show maturity in between 18-22 and become better and more game inteligent

Eh? A good amount of it comes from playing professional football in a competitive environment. Ameobi hasn't had that. 12 months playing week in week out did wonders for Abeid.

Guest neesy111

He hasn't had that because he doesn't want to go out on loan.

Went on loan to boro and he was crap according to their fans.

He hasn't had that because he doesn't want to go out on loan.

If it's his own doing then he's a fool. Even if it's League 1 - go and play.

Well he's playing now, and for the first time he seems to be first choice for his position.

Perhaps he made the right call.

As much as he could have benefited from more good loan spells, this run in the team is getting is more likely to improve him as anything else.  If this run doesn't improve him and he doesn't start showing consistent progress, then the progress probably isn't coming.  I think he has contributed during this run, but I'm not sure if he's really improved, or if what he's always had is what he's delivering.  He can do do productive things in attack, but he's still wildly inconsistent and prone to moments of absolute brainless play.  There was a moment today when he should have absolutely crossed it.  There were men getting into good areas in the box and he was at a tight angle, but he went for the shot.  He got a weak shot on target, but it would have taken a van Persie like strike to score from there and the cross was a much higher percentage play.  I wouldn't complain if he did it once, but it's the kind of error he makes all the time.  It turns a created chance that doesn't come along that many times in games, into an absolute nothing.

His game is based around one thing, which is to get a yard and put a cross in. This isn't necessarily a bad option for a winger, especially one as weird and ungainly as Sammy. Aarons has bags more potential though.

At least Sammy can take people on and get a cross in every now and then, which makes him a massive improvement over the useless b****** that was on the other side tonight.

I honestly didn't know he was playing until 20 minutes in when he got the ball near our corner flag. Towards the end of the game he was actually running away from the ball, he was getting no end of shit from the crowd.

Hard for him to get the ball when the gameplan is to let Burnley have it, and on those rare occasions when we do have the ball, just smack it vaguely towards Perez.

In the second half we actually had a plan of note, quite genius by Pardew standards. Push up on the left as much as possible to give Janmaat space for when the ball is switched across. This gameplan didn't involve Gouff at all though lol, poor bloke is completely lost and broken.

His game is based around one thing, which is to get a yard and put a cross in.

I disagree completely. He's got a decent shot on him, and he can also be effective down the middle eg when he set the goal up for Sissoko against QPR. And when he beats an opponent, he often gets right past - it's not only a matter of gaining a yard.