Sammy Ameobi released

James

Think he and Aaron's are our best wingers so far this season.

With Aaron's and Obertan out injured it has to be sammy on the left and Cabella on the right with Perez up top.

Sammy has really bulked up and is looking much better than last season. I'd rather a chance or a one on one with a goalkeeper situation fell to him than to Cabella at the moment.

Think he and Aaron's are our best wingers so far this season.

With Aaron's and Obertan out injured it has to be sammy on the left and Cabella on the right with Perez up top.

Sammy has really bulked up and is looking much better than last season. I'd rather a chance or a one on one with a goalkeeper situation fell to him than to Cabella at the moment.

To be honest I don't think he's been better or worse this season than is his sparse cameos last season. He will never be a world beater, but he's a decent squad member to have at this level, preferably to be used as in impact sub.

I like the lad played ok today was one of our better players first half, I just hope he doesn't get the Ben Arfa treatment from some fans moaning like fuck when he occasionally loses the ball, that's going to happen sometimes when u actually attempt to take defenders on.

He definitely won't be getting the Ben Arfa treatment on here. :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

He has skill in certain situations but his match awareness is terrible. He nevers seems to know where to run or what to do on a football pitch.

Unless you're naturally gifted in that area, its not an easy thing to suddenly develop, it takes games, and lots of them. I personally don't think he's a winger either, he's more of a free forward in a central position, similar to how Kanu used to play for Asrenal and especially Pompey in his later days.

The thing with a lot of these kind of players is they need to play regular games in a position that best suits them. Krul or Colo hitting it long to Ameobi constantly like at the weekend isn't going to bring the best out of him nor is it conducive to his development. Nor is expecting him to have amazing awareness or football intelligence. The only player with what I'd call good game intelligence and awareness in our team is Colo - and he's a CB!

I like Sammy, he has something about his game that is different. He is a threat and is the kind of player that can make things happen and influence a game. I'd play him off Perez, let him come deep, turn, run at defenders, draw fouls and play through balls which I think he has shown himself capable of.

HTT  :thup:

He needs to play a regularly, and get used to seeing the ball regularly in order to develop the traits people are saying he doesn't have.

He really should be looking to leave the club, and go somewhere that he is always going to be in the team, and where he'll be given freedom to play.

He should have done this a few years ago tbh.

Can't see it happening with Pardew, unfortunately.

I like him but I think he needs to leave here for the best of his career. Because of his surname I don't think he'll ever get a fair shot here from our fans.

I don't often disagree with you Tooj but I do here. I think he gets cut more slack because he's an Ameobi, rather than the other way round. People were singing his name on Sunday for example.

I actually think he's got skill and technical ability but he has no idea how to play in a match situation. None at all. His movement off and on the ball are all over the shop and it stands out in top flight football. His moments where he skins two or three players or smacks it off the bar from 25 yards are mixed in with a whole load of playing like a fan has wandered onto the pitch unfortunately.

He has skill in certain situations but his match awareness is terrible. He nevers seems to know where to run or what to do on a football pitch.

Unless you're naturally gifted in that area, its not an easy thing to suddenly develop, it takes games, and lots of them. I personally don't think he's a winger either, he's more of a free forward in a central position, similar to how Kanu used to play for Asrenal and especially Pompey in his later days.

The thing with a lot of these kind of players is they need to play regular games in a position that best suits them. Krul or Colo hitting it long to Ameobi constantly like at the weekend isn't going to bring the best out of him nor is it conducive to his development. Nor is expecting him to have amazing awareness or football intelligence. The only player with what I'd call good game intelligence and awareness in our team is Colo - and he's a CB!

I like Sammy, he has something about his game that is different. He is a threat and is the kind of player that can make things happen and influence a game. I'd play him off Perez, let him come deep, turn, run at defenders, draw fouls and play through balls which I think he has shown himself capable of.

Agreed on all counts. Didn't think about the Kanue reference but it makes sense. He can barely run for 60 minutes, not sure he'll ever be able to string 90 minutes together frequently. Seems to have a good shot on him.

I like him but I think he needs to leave here for the best of his career. Because of his surname I don't think he'll ever get a fair shot here from our fans.

I don't often disagree with you Tooj but I do here. I think he gets cut more slack because he's an Ameobi, rather than the other way round. People were singing his name on Sunday for example.

I actually think he's got skill and technical ability but he has no idea how to play in a match situation. None at all. His movement off and on the ball are all over the shop and it stands out in top flight football. His moments where he skins two or three players or smacks it off the bar from 25 yards are mixed in with a whole load of playing like a fan has wandered onto the pitch unfortunately.

Needs to play regularly. Has needed to do so for 2 years.

Compare him to somebody like Perez who in many ways should be more raw because he was dumped out of an academy system at 16, but he moves like a proper footballer with intelligence.

Perez has played 72 professional competitive matches in 2 and a bit years.

Sammy is a year older and hasn't managed 50 yet. 30 games in the Championship and Sammy will come on leaps and bounds i'm certain.

Nailed it.

Sammy needs to go out on loan for a full season, he makes far too many errors and needs to do that at a lower level where he might get away with it.  He seems to fall over every time the wind changes direction and often seems to trip over his own legs.  I can't work out if that's him looking for a free kick or if he genuinely can't synchronise his leg movements.

Loads of deluded people used to sing Sholas name as well mind.

Sammy has always looked like he has potential but it has never really come off for him…… yet!

This could be his year though. He looks to have bulked up and is a lot stronger on the ball for starters and he's playing really well at the moment. Great goal against Spurs, very unlucky to have only hit the bar against West Brom. He will chip in with goals and assists if he plays. He's very awkward and unpredictable to play against, quick, strong, big, very skillful, tracks back well, can hold the ball up well and is causing opposition teams problems. Better than Cabella thus far this season. i.e. I'd prefer Ameobi to be one on one with the keeper than Cabella at the moment. Ameobi is one of the players that has contributed to this great run we are on. Although in all fairness i think Cabella will get better and maybe one of those players that just takes a bit of time to settle in.

Our best team at the moment is arguably imo:

Krul

Janmaat Taylor Colo  Dummett

Sissoko  Abeid Colback

Aarons    Perez  Ameobi