Sammy Ameobi released

James

Guest bimpy474

Hope he gets played in the match at Colchester (Iceland game), taking the kids to see that one.

Well done Sammy, deserved. :D

Ameobi Exclusive On England Call

By Dan King - Newcastle United Club Reporter

Sammy Ameobi has spoken exclusively to nufc.co.uk about his dream call-up to the England under-21 squad and revealed: "It's been a good time for me."

Newcastle-born Ameobi only made his senior debut in May, as a late substitute in a 2-2 draw at Chelsea, but those long, thin legs of his have made huge strides in recent months.

After an impressive pre-season, he scored a spectacular first career goal in the Carling Cup win at Scunthorpe in August and has made six further appearances this season as the Magpies have enjoyed an unbeaten start to their league campaign.

Now his latest achievement has came in the form of international recognition, with Stuart Pearce drafting him into the squad for the European Under-21 Championship qualfiers against Iceland and Belgium this month.

And the 19-year-old told the official Newcastle United website: "I've always wanted to represent my country, so to get the opportunity is an excellent thing and I won't take it for granted if I get a chance to play.

"I'd heard a few people say that Stuart Pearce was looking at me but I had no idea that I would be in the squad. I just got told after training on Monday. I was told 'you're in the squad' - that's how I found out.

"Then I had to rush home and get everything packed!

"It's been a good time for me. Getting the opportunity to play for Newcastle and show what I can do means I'm getting noticed a lot more, which is good.

"Hopefully if I keep on doing what I doing, I'll keep getting opportunities to play."

Sammy follows in the footsteps of his brother, Shola, who won 20 caps for England at under-21 level and scored seven goals.

The youngster, who looks up to his elder sibling as a person and as a player, said: "He's played for England under-21s so I'm glad I've got the opportunity to do so as well.

"And hopefully I can go even further than he has."

Before leaving to link up with the England under-21s, Ameobi was given a few words of advice by his club manager, Alan Pardew, at United's Benton training centre.

It was Pardew who promoted the gifted attacker into the senior set-up at St. James' Park, and he is a firm believer in the huge potential possessed by the former Heaton Manor School pupil.

"He told me to keep doing what I'm doing, and said to work hard and make an impact," the teenager said.

"And he said that if I get the opportunity, I should play like I have been doing for Newcastle. Hopefully I'll be able to do that and he'll be able to see that I'm making progress."

Guest bimpy474

My lads and me will go the Iceland game with our Toon tops over the jumpers, although my two are young they can bloody freeze because i will not allow coats, got to catch Sammy eye like :D