Newcastle United 2010-11: a season review

The Prophet

Overall reflections

What a ridiculous season. At times I've been sky high, at others rock bottom,

Really? Struggling to think when I've felt 'rock bottom' this season, even the uncertainty surrounding Hughton's departure was tempered by the fact we'd thrashed the mackems 5-1, won at Arsenal and already had a decent number of points in the bag.

The 'worst' part was probably the Stevenage match. We were abject, suffered abysmal performances from under-motivated players (something I thought we'd eradicated with the new team morale and attitude around the club) and we managed to throw Tiote on and get him banned for 3 league matches.

:dave:

Losing 3-1 away to WBA was pretty dismal too, we were awful.

Getting tonked 5-1 at Bolton wasn't as bad (mitigating circumstances), nor was the 4-0 thrashing at Stoke...we played fairly well but got punished for sloppy individual mistakes.

I genuinely thought we were going to nose dive when Hughton left, it was a pretty low feeling. Really I should have added a category for 'biggest suprise' because it would have to go to Pardew. I've been very impressed at how he's mangaged to maintain a lot of the early season momentum.

Simpson's transition has been amazing?

He's contributed less than zero going forward and has done OK defensively.

Maybe amazing is being too generous, but most people saw right back as a problem area coming into the season and to be fair to him he's improved greatly and done well. He maybe an average player but its a damn sight better than what we've had at that position in years gone by, Habib Beye aside.

Player ratings:

Generous marks for Harper, whilst slightly harsh for Gutierrez and Guthrie imo.

I was all ready to slate these 'ratings' but when reading your comments you've actually hit the nail on the head with most of them :thup: a very decent read on this board, nice work :)

Yorkie - would you agree?

Go on, i'll bite... why've you singled me out?

Player ratings:

I was all ready to slate these 'ratings' but when reading your comments you've actually hit the nail on the head with most of them :thup: a very decent read on this board, nice work :)

???

Overall reflections

Season of contrasts, many highs and several lows.  When I look back on this season I will consider it to be a resounding success based on the same squad, effectively, coming up as Championship winners and doing a tremendous job in the Premiership.  The difference in apparent team spirit over the last two seasons in comparason to previous years, where infighting has been obvious, has been easy to note.  This group (to quote Pardew) of players have done us all proud and brough credibility back to our club.  I enjoyed the Championship season but, this has been something else entirely.

High Moment

Without doubt the 4th goal in our comeback game against Arsenal.  The atmosphere in the ground was electric, even the East Stand was rocking.....  Beating S***er***d was a high but, the derby games are always very tense for me as a supporter so I don't really enjoy them.  Tiote's goal went in against Arsenal and the euphoria was immeasurable!  Total high!!

Low Moment

Haven't really had a moment this season that would rate as an absolute low, being relegated the previous year was a painful pill to swallow but, everything since then has been very enjoyable.  My brother in law texting to say that Carroll had left was a serious low, one that we have recovered from, got up and just carried on with the job in hand to the best of the remaining players ability!  Wasn't too chuffed with the WBA and Bolton away results but, poor results are quickly forgotten as soon as a good one comes along.

Best Player

Colo without doubt.  We have never had such a stylish centreback at our club, in my memory anyway.  He oozes class and hardly puts a foot wrong.  Special mentions must go to Barton and Jose for solid performances and consistancy.

Best Individual Performance

Nolan in the 5 - 1 was a sublime Captains performance, understood the magnitude of the game and stepped in with a masterclass in how to humiliate your opponent.  Ben Arfa in the Everton game will take some beating as well.

Best Buy

Going with concensus here and saying Tiote.  Solid and incredible value for his transfer fee. 

Most Improved

Barton, Colo, Simpson, Best, have all thrived in the current set up and improved measurably.

Player ratings:

???

Sigh. You're hard work.

Overall

NUFC in a nutshell, plenty of reasons to be proud and optimistic, tempered by tons of stuff to moan and despair over. The difference this time is we're new boys again and for the first time since SBR left, we can hold our heads high.

High

4-4, 5-1, 6-0, yeah, all of them. I'll throw in Arsenal away. Such an assured performance against the self-styled barca of the prem.

Low

Citeh away. The last time Geordies were violated that badly, our assailants turned up in longboats.

Best player

I'll split it between Colo and Jose, rarely bettered. You run at them, they take the ball off you and you eat their dust.

Yeah, Cheik at Everton stands out, Thought AC and Nolan were unplayable on Halloween too. Bartons second half in the 4-4 takes it for me. Also like to mention Saylor's shift last weekend, the lad takes a lot of shit on here (correctly), but credit where it's due an all that..

Best buy

Tiote right now, but i believe HBA will be when we look back at 11/12 season.

Most Improved

Bearing in mind the word 'player' is not in the heading, I'm putting on a tin hat and nominating the fat b.........  Nah, f##k it, Joey B. The angry boy became a man this year, on and off the pitch. A total turnaround of his life and, if it continues, an example to all. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

So lets hit the beaches of Europe and beyond this summer, not cringing at the question "you a newcastle fan, eh?"

Great post!

:indi:

It was, as was Pinkeye's above - certainly couldn't argue with anything.

Maybe a shout for Krul in most improved category - we knew he was pretty good - but this season he's had to sustain longer runs in the first team and done very well. Saves against Man U home and Arsenal away were world class - dare I say it.

We have had a lot with shouts for player of the season and I can't think of one player who has put on a black and white shirt this season and not given 100%. I've seen more talented players playing for us and there again I've seen far worse too, but this squad compares with anything I've seen in terms of team spirit, effort and pride.

I really hope that they get a great reception on Sunday for what they've achieved over the last two seasons.

Im surprised nobody's given Nolan a mention in Most Improved,because from last time we were in the Premier League,his improvement is major.

Aye, but he was pretty important last season

Overall reflections

It's been a bizarre season. From the painful lows of Hughton's sacking and Carroll's sale to the giddy highs of the 'demolition derby' and that 4-4 draw against Arsenal there hasn't really been a dull moment. On the pitch we've managed to keep ourselves from imploding in spite of what has went on off it and for the most part performances have been decent win, lose or draw. Interesting is the only word to describe it.

High Moment

Beating the Mackems 5-1. Yes, Tiote's volley and the sheer WTFness of the entire Arsenal match will make sure it lives long in the memory but after almost 18 months of prodding with sticks from those on Wearside it was immensely satisfying to wipe those smug smiles off their faces in just 90 minutes. After all the shite the club has put us through over the past few years they almost paid us back with that display. I particularly liked our display of keep ball in the second half, where the defenders just played it in triangles for a minute or two before giving it to Barton, who promptly backheeled it and allowed the defenders to have another touch or two. Ole.

Honourable mentions must go to said Arsenal game and the 6-0 humping of Villa, which was the best way possible to announce your return to the top flight.

Low Moment

The sacking of Hughton. Likeable bloke who had given his all for the club shat on from a great height by the ungrateful fucks in charge. Unlike other managers he didn't get a massive compensation package or a golden handshake deal to fuck of quietly into the night, he got frig all because they allowed his contract to run down and he was on a pittance anyway yet the bloke has acted with more dignity than that twat Allardyce who made millions off us yet can't wait to tell the press about Casa St. James'.

Best Player

Joey Barton. He has really embodied the team spirit this season with his performances. Whether he starts on the right or middle has really been academic as he has made it his job to be everywhere across the middle of the park. The club need to give that man a contract ASAP.

Coloccini, Tiote, Nolan and Enrique run him very close.

Ben Arfa against Everton, Tiote against Arsenal, Nolan against Sunderland, Carroll against Villa, Best against West Ham, Barton against, well...pretty much everyone. Take your pick.

Best Buy

Tiote.

Most Improved

I want to say Danny Simpson but his form has tailed off since Hughton left and he's looking like a liability, so with that in mind I have to go with Leon Best. I had no hope for him before the season began yet he looks like a Premier League footballer. 6 goals in 10 games is a great return for a bloke who couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo last season in a lesser division.

Guest Loven11

Pre-ordering will be available soon for the 2010/11 Season Review DVD, which has a retail release date of Monday June 27th

Overall Reflections:

Filled with highs and lows throughout, but overall it's been a very good season. The main objective was survival, and we achieved that with a few games to spare. Most impressive season we've had in quite a few years, and the togetherness of the squad is great to see.

High Moment:

5-1, run very close by Tiote's equaliser at Arsenal, which is a few seconds of pure ecstasy I've never felt before at a football match. Can't quite beat smashing 5 past the unwashed though.

Low Moment:

Hughton sacking, totally out of the blue, thoroughly undeserved. Pardew's done a good job since he's come in though tbf.

Best Player:

Tiote. The midfield has looked so much better this season than it has done in previous years, and he's the main reason why IMO. Jose, Colo and Barton have all been class as well though, mind.

Best Individual Performance:

Barton in the second half at home to Arsenal.

Best Buy:

Perch, lol jk. Anyone who doesn't say Tiote to this needs put down.

Most Improved:

Leon Best. Just need to compare the comments made pre and post season, about him, by near enough everyone to see why

Thought it was time for me to offer my review,

Overall reflections

In typical NUFC style, it has been one rollercoaster of a season. So many ups and downs, so many differing emotions for us fans. But all in all, I'm very content on how this season has went. Sure we were 2 minutes away from 9th place but 12th place for a newly promoted club is an achievement in itself especially when the key objective was survival. We just have to build on this finish and aim for at least the top half next season.

High Moment

Beating the Mackems 5-1, what a day that was. The 6-0 against Villa and the 4-4 against Arsenal deserve mentions.

Low Moment

For me, it was Chris Hughton's sacking. I hadn't felt so low as a NUFC fan for a while until that Monday when his sacking was announced. The man was the reason we were back in the PL and was doing a decent job at the time. (Pardew's won me over though).

Best Player

Fabricio Coloccini. The man has been an absolute rock in our defence. He has made the odd mistake here and there but he has definitely been consistent.

Ben Arfa against Everton. Absolutely controlled the left wing and caused Everton a lot of problems. His goal wasn't bad either :pow:

Best Buy

Cheik Tioté, without a doubt.

Most Improved

Joey Barton for me. He has had an excellent season and has contributed so much to the team. I couldn't have cared less if he had left before this season. But now it is imperative to secure him on a new contract (looking unlikely though :/)

• 4 weeks later...

Overall reflections

I don't want to be a downer but as good as I feel about this past season it doesn't mean much going forward because the owner is capable of anything, at any time and that takes away a lot of security about the future. 

High Moment

4-4 against Arsenal.  Tiote's strike was absolutely brilliant, the comeback was divine and wouldn't it have been crazy if Nolan's late header had bounced in?  That game typified the teams spirit and it will stay with me forever.

Low Moment

Hughton being sacked.  I was stunned and thought the club would sink like a rock.  Pardew surprised though and the players stuck together.  Still, the shadow of Fat Bastard looms large over the club.

Best Player

Colo by a nose over Tiote and a neck over Barton

Tiote against Arsenal.  yeah, maybe it was one strike in a game but BIG players make BIG plays in BIG games.

Best Buy

Tiote, easily.

Most Improved

Simpson.  I think Simpson played quite well over the entire season.  He's not a top shelf back by any means.  However, he can play a needed role going forward.  Best played a relatively small role but he gave us goals when we really needed them.  He showed he belonged.