Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

Wolfswinkel is slightly above average. 10M€ + 2 seems a bit excessive. But he does have a cool name and is young.

Reminds me when Reading fans were excited about Daniel Carriço. Poor guys.

Wolfswinkel is slightly above average. 10M€ + 2 seems a bit excessive. But he does have a cool name and is young.

Maybe in Portugal when you some how get very good players for little to nothing, over here its called a bargain  :lol:

Maybe in Portugal when you some how get very good players for little to nothing, over here its called a bargain  :lol:

Wolfswinkel isn't a "very good player". At least not yet. Maybe he can develop in Norwich? Dunno. He's not horrible, but 12M€ isn't cheap for him, that's all. Sporting never bought a player for 12M€, their record is 8,8M€, for example. But yea, our clubs invest a lot in Scouting and therefore can make some good deals, so maybe we are the ones seeing it wrong.

He's no Carriço btw, he'll be a regular starter for Norwich, no doubt.

Completely forgot about that transfer. Can't remember him playing a game yet.

He's horrendous in the air. He had trouble with the portuguese league strikers, I can only imagine him playing in England, in such a physical football. ;D

Wolfswinkel isn't a "very good player". At least not yet. Maybe he can develop in Norwich? Dunno. He's not horrible, but 12M€ isn't cheap for him, that's all. Sporting never bought a player for 12M€, their record is 8,8M€, for example. But yea, our clubs invest a lot in Scouting and therefore can make some good deals, so maybe we are the ones seeing it wrong.

He's no Carriço btw, he'll be a regular starter for Norwich, no doubt.

I know i'm saying in England paying 10m euros is normal practice as we like to waste money by comparison  O0

Completely forgot about that transfer. Can't remember him playing a game yet.

He's horrendous in the air. He had trouble with the portuguese league strikers, I can only imagine him playing in England, in such a physical football. ;D

Quick internet research says he made his debut on 12th of January and was subbed off after 45 mins, and he hasn't appeared since. Maybe they've been mugged by some agent.

He'll leave, that's for sure. Unfortunately. Surely one of the better centre backs in XXI century portuguese football - one step ahead of David Luiz (which is good offensively, but a bit of a risk in the back). Pepe (world class c***), Ricardo Carvalho (world class), Garay, Luisão, maybe missing one or two more. But yea, good deal for anyone buying him. We would like to keep him longer, but Real Madrid has 50% of a future transfer and they surely want to make some money. I only hope Garay wins some trophies this year. Garay's transfer was like Ramires; we bought him knowing already that in the next year or two we probably would've to sell him.

According to portuguese newspapers, Benfica's already searching for a substitute.

He'll leave, that's for sure. Unfortunately. Surely one of the better centre backs in XXI century portuguese football - one step ahead of David Luiz (which is good offensively, but a bit of a risk in the back). Pepe (world class c***), Ricardo Carvalho (world class), Garay, Luisão, maybe missing one or two more. But yea, good deal for anyone buying him. We would like to keep him longer, but Real Madrid has 50% of a future transfer and they surely want to make some money. I only hope Garay wins some trophies this year. Garay's transfer was like Ramires; we bought him knowing already that in the next year or two we probably would've to sell him.

According to portuguese newspapers, Benfica's already searching for a substitute.

Bruno Alves? or was he never in that class?

He's good. Not a potential top player like the others, but quality. Immense in the air. He does have some childish mistakes sometimes; his brain freezes. And since he went to Zenit he stagnated a little. But well, even better players chose the same path (Witsel, Hulk), so I'm not judging him. Money is important.

I like the Benfica people.

I appreciate that. Newcastle fans have been class as well.

He's good. Not a potential top player like the others, but quality. Immense in the air. He does have some childish mistakes sometimes; his brain freezes. And since he went to Zenit he stagnated a little. But well, even better players chose the same pact (Witsel, Hulk), so I'm not judging him. Money is important.

Good point you make about the players that have gone to Zenit. Funny, I still rate the Zenit team of 08 when they won the UEFA Cup under Advocaat as one of the most aesthetically pleasing sides I've seen - but these days they are chronic to watch. Lots of individualism and little collective quality, despite having some very talented players (Hulk, Witsel, Danny, Anyukov etc).

A bit of a shame, but like you say I doubt the players are too bothered when they see their bank balance.

Good point you make about the players that have gone to Zenit. Funny, I still rate the Zenit team of 08 when they won the UEFA Cup under Advocaat as one of the most aesthetically pleasing sides I've seen - but these days they are chronic to watch. Lots of individualism and little collective quality, despite having some very talented players (Hulk, Witsel, Danny, Anyukov etc).

A bit of a shame, but like you say I doubt the players are too bothered when they see their bank balance.

That team was class. Zenit have had lots of talented midfielders in the recent years. Many of them play together in the russian national team as well.

Russian sides have had a special relationship with UEFA Cups this century (Sporting 1 - 3 CSKA :frantic: ) but oddly they were eliminated by Basel. A weaker Basel comparing to last year, after losing Shaqiri and Granit Xhaka. According to the portuguese press, Witsel and Hulk salaries affected the morale of the other players. Denisov and Kerzhakov even got relegated to the reserve squad in September, after criticizing their salaries. They spent 40M€ in Witsel and another 40M€ in Hulk (+ agent fees, signature bonuses, etc). That's insane. Witsel was bought for 7M€ one year earlier, for example. And he's quality, but certainly not a record breaker.

Somehow related, we lost our starting midfield in the last days of market (Javi Garcia, 20M€; Witsel, 40M€). Both of them in highly overrated fees, so was financially very positive, but we had no time to replace them. Still don't know how things turned out so well. Enzo Perez, and specially Matic, really surprised us. The serbian is better than Garcia. Less agressive, not so good on the tackle, but way better offensively.

Abramovich must be blind to pay 25M€ + Matic for David Luiz. Still better than the Torres deal though.

It always baffles me how hopeless Chelsea are at spotting talent at their own football club. There's quite a few they've let go for pennies who have then went on to be sold for big money. Matic, Stoch, Sinclair, Borini, Diarra to name a few. All players that although may not make the first team, could still have played a role at Chelsea yet they persisted on wasting their time with the likes of Kalou, Meireles and Mikel.

The prospect of a relatively tin pot club like Norwich spending 10m on a striker makes me realize how far ahead the PL is above everybody else money-wise. Fortunately, few clubs use it sensibly.

It makes me :anguish: a fair bit tbh. So much money spent on so much shit. You're going to have nothing clubs like Norwich/promoted teams spending more than vast quantities of European 'name' clubs put together this summer.

As you say it shows how much better a lot of Euro clubs are at identifying talent etc.

The PL has become such a cash cow obviously but it's still shit to me when you see big names like all French clubs bar PSG, Portuguese clubs, Dutch clubs, etc. hemmed in due to where they're based.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/

Sam Allardyce hoping to keep Andy Carroll at West Ham

Last Updated: March 31, 2013 2:35pm

Sam Allardyce would like to see Andy Carroll's loan agreement at West Ham United made permanent at the end of the season.

Carroll arrived at Upton Park last summer on a deal from Liverpool which dictated that he would spend the entire 2012/13 campaign in the capital.

He has struggled with injury and form at times with the Hammers, but has been firing on all cylinders again of late and netted a crucial double in a 3-1 victory over West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.

Allardyce had called on his strikers to start delivering prior to that fixture, and he has now revealed that he is hoping to wrap up a deal for Carroll when the transfer window re-opens.

He said: "Would I like him here next season? The answer is yes.

"But there are a lot of things that need to be done. We will look at that at the end of the season. There is always a possibility.

"Andy showed today that he is not just a threat in the air, but is very good on the ground as well. His volleyed goal was fantastic technique.

"In fact, we scored three fantastic goals. I was delighted with our display and it moves us closer to the 39 points that will make us safe."

West Ham had an £18m agreed purchase fee with Liverpool as part of the loan deal wasn't it? They'd be mental to pay that.