Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

It may be a big deal to them, but it's no more absurd really how out of proportion top level footballers wages are to the rest of society, admitably France's are generally lower

but, in the immortal words of one Christopher Samba

You all moan about players and wages, but we don't just entertain you we entertain millions around the world, without us what would you tweet about.

What would we tweet about, indeed.

Pretty sure the 75% idea was rejected by the French government no?

Not exactly, no. Hollande wanted it but a constitutional council said no.

It was changed to apply to companies so that it comes off as a payroll tax before it goes to the footballer. The reason it was declared unconstitutional was because it could be stacked and would add up to over 100% if applied by the individual, if I understand correctly.

Apparently Manchester University are interested in Nemanja Matic. Either in this summer or the next I believe he's the next really big sale. 30M+ €. Looking at their current squad he would fit perfectly. In the last three years only: Matic - Witsel - Ramires - Di Maria. World class midfield. Such a shame we aren't rich as fck in order to keep this guys longer.

Apparently Manchester University are interested in Nemanja Matic. Either in this summer or the next I believe he's the next really big sale. 30M+ €. Looking at their current squad he would fit perfectly. In the last three years only: Matic - Witsel - Ramires - Di Maria. World class midfield. Such a shame we aren't rich as fck in order to keep this guys longer.

I heard they were looking at Garay too. Your club must be pretty healthy financially with all those departures and others not mentioned (Luiz, Garcia,  Coentrão).

It was intended. There's only one United, or am I wrong?

I heard they were looking at Garay too. Your club must be pretty healthy finacially with all those departures and others not mentioned (Luiz, Garcia,  Coentrão).

We faced a really severe financial crisis not much time ago. We still have a lot of debt (as most clubs; don't really know how's Newcastle doing). To buy a player for 3M€ was a real challenge 7 or 8 years ago.

Fortunately we are improving, but portuguese clubs still need to sell in order to keep themselves competitive. To put it in perspective, we receive 8M€/year for our TV rights. 8M€. The contract expires this year and we refused a 22M€/year from the same company (imagine the money they have been doing for almost a decade thanks to this atrocious contract...). We bought Premier League broadcasting rights in Portugal instead, Brasileirão as well, and we'll keep our home games and make BenficaTV premium. Around 7,5-10€/month for Benfica home games and Premier League, plus some extra games. No other club done that so far, manage their own TV rights. Portuguese clubs really need to be creative and efficient in order to survive. We now have consistently positive turnovers (20M€, 25M€, etc) but we need to sell, scout, find some bargains, sell, etc. Hopefully this new TV rights deal will help change that a bit.

Wasn't Matic at Chelsea for a while?

Yea. Traded for David Luiz (plus 25M€).

Arnesen spoke of him about a week ago.

Chelsea don't give youngsters a chance insists former youth development director Frank Arnesen

(...)

'I am happy with many of the players I signed for Chelsea; just think, Borini and Sturridge are now at Liverpool, Stoch scored the Fifa goal of the year for Fenerbahce, Nemanja Matic is the star man at Benfica'.