Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

Wow, what a cuntish thing to do. I guess at least they won't sell us Bent now..

Bent will still be going.

Could stop any deal until a replacement for Benteke is sorted though.  Which might just be long enough for us to escape a fate worse than death.

Honestly, there's more chance of me playing for Villa next season than Bent.

And I am 45. And not a keeper.

Or indeed a footballer.

Should just let Chelsea sign every single player, then they're allowed to loan them out to the highest bidder in a draft system.

Honestly fucking feels like it operates that way sometimes.

Yup.

What can you do, though?

Benteke threatened Genk he'd go on strike to get his move to us a year ago. It's not the biggest surprise.

He was fantastic for us, and has the potential to be a player of the absolute highest level.

WHich is why he'd be nuts to go to Spurs. He'll not go anywhere without CL football.

Earlier this week he retweeted a photo posted Be Bruyne had tweeted of him and Lukaku with the text "on our way to Chelsea".

It's pretty clear where he's going.

threaten to leave him on the bench for a season unless he gets his head on straight and see about his world cup chances then.

Well, one thing I do trust is that if he goes, it's going to be a Carroll-esque style deal.

"Aston Villa have confirmed Christian Benteke has handed in a transfer request and the striker will be allowed to leave if a suitable offer is made 'within an appropriate timeframe'.

Course he wants too move, he believes his own hype and his agent will want to cash in on him while he's hot. If the £20,000p/w is true too he'll only need to speak to any other Belgian first teamer in the league to know that's market value for what he achieved last season.

Shame like but money talks and a lot of teams have more money than Villa currently.

---

If I were Chelsea I'd just stick with Lukaku rather than buy him too though. Better off buying a truly world class player, Benteke = Ba currently for me.

It's not even money, I don't think.

He is on 20k a week with us because when he came, he was a massive punt for us. It was, what, 10 months or less ago when people were laughing at that deal.

He'll have been offered a deal - by us - on much more money, but I suspect his agent - who is apparently a childhood friend and only has him as a client - will have had a lot to do with it.

He's daft, really.

All he needs is another good season, then he goes to the World Cup with a highly rated young side, and if he does well there, he can have his move anywhere he wants.

It's a bit of a twattish thing to do but for example if his likely destination was Arsenal, I'd see it differently.

What really is depressing is that once again it's fucking Chelsea, where he'll start half the league games tops, stagnate yet pick up stupid money.  From the perspective of nearly every other club in the league it's completely demoralising to see stuff like this happen.

Could stop any deal until a replacement for Benteke is sorted though.  Which might just be long enough for us to escape a fate worse than death.

Or indeed a footballer.

Oh I don't think he'll stay, I'm just hoping for a delay while they focus on the Benteke sale and his replacement.  Which could just give us enough time for either someone to come to their senses, move onto someone else or for another club to come in for Bent.  I have to have something to hope for :(

Course he wants too move, he believes his own hype and his agent will want to cash in on him while he's hot. If the £20,000p/w is true too he'll only need to speak to any other Belgian first teamer in the league to know that's market value for what he achieved last season.

Shame like but money talks and a lot of teams have more money than Villa currently.

---

If I were Chelsea I'd just stick with Lukaku rather than buy him too though. Better off buying a truly world class player, Benteke = Ba currently for me.

It's not even money, I don't think.

He is on 20k a week with us because when he came, he was a massive punt for us. It was, what, 10 months or less ago when people were laughing at that deal.

He'll have been offered a deal - by us - on much more money, but I suspect his agent - who is apparently a childhood friend and only has him as a client - will have had a lot to do with it.

He's daft, really.

All he needs is another good season, then he goes to the World Cup with a highly rated young side, and if he does well there, he can have his move anywhere he wants.

Crux of it probably.

Not sure the WC is even too relevant, barring injury he's in the squad regardless and out of the handful of clubs that can pay £20m or whatever now I don't think those who'd be after him would change from current.

Or indeed a footballer.

I don't think he'll stay, I'm saying that the club may take the view that selling two strikers before  bringing in any replacements is the wrong way to go.  Which might delay any sale of Bent while they focus on the Benteke sale and his replacement, I have to have some hope here.. :(

Seriously, not a prayer.

Too much water under the bridge.

Last summer we sent Warnock and Hutton to train with the kids, despite it meaning us playing the whole season with two full backs with a combined age of about Shay Given.

There's zero chance of Bent staying.  And to be honest, I wouldn't be too concerned if he did. He won't, though.

Twattish from Benteke but that's the reality of football. Twats all over the place, with a few nice ones sprinkled in somewhere.

Would love us to get Lukaku, obviously.

In a way, I can see this being good timing for us.

World Cup at the end of the season. Loads left on his contract. We are going to ask for huge money.

What happens if nobody offers it? And let's be honest, he's had two thirds of one really good season in the Premier League.

Speaking of Lukaku on loan, I'm not sure how I would feel if he came in and was amazing. I mean it would be great for the team but he still wouldn't feel like our player as we would have no chance of signing him permanently.

Have we ever had someone on loan who was amazing and carried the team?

Have you been linked to other strikers to replace him and/or Bent?

Not strikers, no.

Genuinely, if we sold him for nuts money, 30m, say, and spent the money wisely, I'd be ok with it. I would rather he stayed another year, and am disappointed his loyalty has lasted all of 11 months, but really, that's just footballers today, isn't it?

It's Andy Carroll, it's Modric, it's Van Persie, it's Nasri, it's any one of lots and lots of footballers in recent years. It really comes down to how we reinvest the money. Pocket it and show no ambition, and you start to wonder what the point of it all is. Be imaginative - and I don't think for a second Lambert would be anything other than that - and you can do good work with it.

Look at how Spurs have done that in recent years when their best players have wanted out.

When Ashley Young was with us, every season we were told he was off to Spurs (he didn't), he wanted to go "back to London" (despite not being from london), he wanted out yada yada yada, but he left after four years, and then to go to Man United, who are always going to take your best players.

These last two or three seasons we are operating from a considerably reduced position of bargaining, as we've been struggling. It's going to make it harder to hold on to the likes of Benteke.

What concerns me is that he so clearly has been speaking to someone he really wants to go to, and doesn't really give too much of a shit about anything other than getting what he wants. Fair play to the bloke if that's the way it is. I don't like it, I think less of him for it, but really, what can you do other than ensure that you get enough money for him and spend it wisely.

Clearly, the fact we have referred in our statement to it needing to be "in the right timeframe", we're not going to be flogging him in August.

Unlike the weaselly McLeish or the untrustworthy Houllier, I actually would trust Lambert to refuse to sell him and leave him to stew until he realised he needed to get his shit together for the world cup.

I trust Lambert far more than any Villa manager of recent years.

Speaking of Lukaku on loan, I'm not sure how I would feel if he came in and was amazing. I mean it would be great for the team but he still wouldn't feel like our player as we would have no chance of signing him permanently.

Have we ever had someone on loan who was amazing and carried the team?

Stephen Ireland.