Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

They'll lose him eventually. You could argue his stock is unlikely to be much higher than it is right now. And it's an amount that would see them finish 4th consistently with clever investment.

They'll lose him eventually. You could argue his stock is unlikely to be much higher than it is right now. And it's an amount that would see them finish 4th consistently with clever investment.

Who would you buy?

IMO they've strengthened as far as they possibly could bar a centre forward which they seem to be addressing with the Soldado bid.

When they move to their new ground they'll only increase their pull too, why get rid of their best player now if they don't need too.

Cardiff City manager Malky Mackay hopes to conclude "delicate" negotiations to sign midfielder Etienne Capoue after having a bid accepted by Toulouse.

The Premier League new boys are thought to have offered close to £9m but must convince the 25-year-old France international his future lies in Wales.

Now he would be a serious upgrade on our midfield options especially Tiote. Too much money for us though, just a poor club with no ambition from the North East.

Cardiff City manager Malky Mackay hopes to conclude "delicate" negotiations to sign midfielder Etienne Capoue after having a bid accepted by Toulouse.

The Premier League new boys are thought to have offered close to £9m but must convince the 25-year-old France international his future lies in Wales.

Now he would be a serious upgrade on our midfield options especially Tiote. Too much money for us though, just a poor club with no ambition from the North East.

We'll be in with a £4m bid next summer as part of his relegation clause which means he can leave for £7m.

Toulouse were mid table lol.

Capoue is good but nowhere near as the good as media makes out, there's a reason why he's going to Cardiff.

Has natural ability more than Tiote does but makes the same mistakes as Tiote.

Try's to be Essien, gives the ball away in key areas with regularity i thought he would snap out of it but he still does it.

Good signing for Cardiff but there is a reason none of the top 8 are in for him.

Yeah, keeping your best player is so stupid.

I would usually agree..... but 82m is insane and they can rebuild a better team with that money.

And knowing Tottenham they would actually reinvest that money.

I don't entirely buy this. Who would come, who would be that much better than what we have - given that we're not in the Champions League? Sure, we can throw money at a couple of people, but with PSG, Man City, Chelsea et al hoovering up the best too, I'm not convinced we'd get value for money. Everyone will know we're loaded.

The point is to win things. It's about glory, as someone once said. We could take the money now, but why not just go for it this year? I get that teams like us have to sell players from time to time to progress, but we just had our name and kit plastered all over Times Square, essentially thanks to Bale. Well fuck Real Madrid. Fuck that whole echelon of clubs. Fuck that attitude that certain players are meant to play for "CL" clubs, and somehow we are holding them back, or letting football down, if we don't let them go. I was disappointed not to get Benteke because I wanted a striker, but part of me was genuinely happy that a (at least recently) smaller club had not bowed to pressure to sell. Well, not without giving him a fat new contract, but you get what I mean.

If we get Soldado in, and still fail to get CL this year, then so be it. I would expect to see Bale go, and still expect us to get a shitload of cash for him. The rumours are that AVB and Paulinho had been assured Bale would stay - and keeping him would send a positive message to them. One player is never bigger than the club, but this isn't just about one player.

Yeah, keeping your best player is so stupid.

I would usually agree..... but 82m is insane and they can rebuild a better team with that money.

And knowing Tottenham they would actually reinvest that money.

I don't entirely buy this. Who would come, who would be that much better than what we have - given that we're not in the Champions League? Sure, we can throw money at a couple of people, but with PSG, Man City, Chelsea et al hoovering up the best too, I'm not convinced we'd get value for money. Everyone will know we're loaded.

The point is to win things. It's about glory, as someone once said. We could take the money now, but why not just go for it this year? I get that teams like us have to sell players from time to time to progress, but we just had our name and kit plastered all over Times Square, essentially thanks to Bale. Well fuck Real Madrid. Fuck that whole echelon of clubs. Fuck that attitude that certain players are meant to play for "CL" clubs, and somehow we are holding them back, or letting football down, if we don't let them go. I was disappointed not to get Benteke because I wanted a striker, but part of me was genuinely happy that a (at least recently) smaller club had not bowed to pressure to sell. Well, not without giving him a fat new contract, but you get what I mean.

If we get Soldado in, and still fail to get CL this year, then so be it. I would expect to see Bale go, and still expect us to get a shitload of cash for him. The rumours are that AVB and Paulinho had been assured Bale would stay - and keeping him would send a positive message to them. One player is never bigger than the club, but this isn't just about one player.

I entirely understand what you're saying, and in parts, I agree with you.

However. £86m?

Its not the usual "sell him or keep him and go for it" offer.

It's the highest amount EVER paid for a player.

He's a great player, there's no getting away from that, but that is utterly insane money. I could understand anyone doing the deal at that sort of stupid cash.

The other thing is, in situations like this, people often say "he'll spit his dummy out, he won't be the same, his head's gone" and sometimes they're right, but sometimes they're wrong. The problem here is that the other club is Real Madrid. There is massive, massive likelihood of Bale losing his head over this.

I think the argument that that sort of cash puts him up with Ronaldo and Messi, which is company he doesn't deserve to be in, is largely right, but it doesn't really matter. It isn't up to Spurs to provide "value" in the transfer market, and the fee should be about how much he is worth to Spurs, not some reflection of his worth on the market.

I just don't see how he can be worth more than that to you.

Even if it decreases next season (which it probably will) by, say, £10-20mil you could argue it was still worth hanging on to him for another season.

If they get CL football then yeah definitely, especially with all the extra cash from that too.