Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

Aye, there are some amounts of money that you would be daft to knock back. I admire Levy for digging his heels in and continuing to say 'no' but eventually there comes a point whereby you think 'fucking hell, we're never going to be able to sell him for more than this. Fuck it.'

I'd say £82m is the very optimum that he'll ever be worth. He could break his leg next month and never truly recover from it. It's an insanely good offer and , whilst I can understand Spurs' need to keep him, it's simply too much money to knock back. Pragmatism will win out eventually imo. 

I actually agree with that, have a go at CL and then go from there.

I wonder if the offer could decrease come next year though, they surely can't go higher :lol: can they?

I'm sure it would decrease, but it would still be a lot. If we fail to get CL, then fair enough. If we get CL, then (a) we have more money anyway (b) we have better bargaining tools for Bale deals and any replacements. I'd much rather give it a go this year.

It's just frustrating to hear the Guardian, whose sports coverage has not been sympathetic to Spurs for some time, printing this story without substantiating quotes, but hey-ho. I don't think Bale thinks like that, and maybe that's me being naive, but it's a naïveté I am happy to stick to.

I think they should go all out for someone like Rooney if they sell at that price.

No chance they'll match his wages or he'll move there as they aren't in the CL.

For me this is why they have to keep him unless he throws a paddy (he probably will). He's their main world class player and there isn't a chance they can replace him too the same standard without CL money/draw.

As I've said previously with the league shake up and a couple more additions I think they've a genuine chance at a title push this season.

What's more they don't need to sell.

It's an interesting dilemma - do you take £82m without CL football or £60m with it? Despite the lower fee, you'd now attract better players.

I admire Levy for holding on but I think we all agree that such a fee is absolutely ridiculous. Far too much.

I think they should go all out for someone like Rooney if they sell at that price.

No chance they'll match his wages or he'll move there as they aren't in the CL.

For me this is why they have to keep him unless he throws a paddy (he probably will). He's their main world class player and there isn't a chance they can replace him too the same standard without CL money/draw.

As I've said previously with the league shake up and a couple more additions I think they've a genuine chance at a title push this season.

What's more they don't need to sell.

That's my gut feeling. I mean, I completely understand where Brummie is coming from, but I'd like to just say "Audere est facere". I'm sick of having to weigh up the pounds, knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing. I expect that Levy is capable of keeping us broadly on course financially while keeping Bale with us for this season. If we are making a pig's ear of it in Jan then sure, flog him.

82M or whatever they're supposed to be offering might well be the maximum price he's likely to fetch, but that in itself is not a good enough reason to sell a player. As for how he can be worth more that to us, well that's fairly straightforward. He plays like he did this year, we get into the CL, then we sell him for, say 60M. That should come to more than 86M, particularly if you factor in the better players we should be able to attract.

If this was a month earlier, with Benteke's situation up in the air, Higuain not sold off and generally some mroe time to do some player hunting - they would be stupid not to sell.

Now... the league just around the corner.. they don't have the time to adjust their budgets and targets.

I'm still questioning the sanity of Real and to a lesser extent of Levy's but his position can be based on sense and stubborn pride, Real's position is one where I question what the hell is in the drinks in the boardroom because I can't see any justification on this amount of cash for Bale as good as he is.

i'd be in the sell category myself, spurs are in many ways a 1 man team at the moment and if that one man gets his leg snapped in half then it'll look very foolish not to sell (but that's not a reason to sell of course)

replace him with 4 x 20m players or 3 x 30m players and look to build a team for the next 5+ years vs. keeping bale knowing he's on borrowed time with them anyways more than likely

keeping him only makes sense to me if they invest in their own squad significantly this summer to back him up

They don't exactly need the money though. They are a well-run club with good profit margins. Bale is the type of player they are trying to attract to bring them up the next level. If they could bring in a class striker or two, they have a more than decent chance of being a mainstay in the CL spots. Those CL campaigns will more than make up for any shortcoming should they decide to sell for a lesser profit later.

Personally I rather he stays in the PL as I hope to see more exciting players. Harry not being the manager has made them less irritating too.

that's what i'm saying, keep him and build on top or sell him and build without him...keeping him and not really pushing on helps no-one imo...we've been there ourselves in the past

btw why do spurs make such mincemeat out of signing good strikers when they manage to get players in for every other position no bother?

i'd be in the sell category myself, spurs are in many ways a 1 man team at the moment and if that one man gets his leg snapped in half then it'll look very foolish not to sell (but that's not a reason to sell of course)

replace him with 4 x 20m players or 3 x 30m players and look to build a team for the next 5+ years vs. keeping bale knowing he's on borrowed time with them anyways more than likely

keeping him only makes sense to me if they invest in their own squad significantly this summer to back him up

Well if we really are getting Soldado, then that's Soldado, Paulinho and Chadli. That's significant enough for me.

The problem is, of course, which 4 x 20M players are we talking about? Who would come that is better than what we have? And how much is that in wages? Villa wanted 25M for Benteke, and he was happy to hang around for a bit longer - I suspect - to make sure he got a move to a bigger, more reliably CL club than us.

We've been building teams for the next 5+ years for a while. Now I suspect we've actually got a team to move up to "the next level". Why not try to do that this season? It's looking increasingly like Real will be unable to stump up these ludicrous sums in cash, and will instead try makeweights like Coentrao to pad deals. I can't see them being too happy, and I can't see us being all that interested.

Leffe, i understand your point, totally understand, but i will go for a sell. 3 reasons to support other than the money is insane:

1. This is also my gut feeling: i think Bale will NOT accept another season without CL. He will definitely spat his dummy out once spurs drop out of top four during the coming season, and spurs will be in a very bad position. U are assuming he would still get a 60m bid. I dont. The reason why Real Madrid wants to pay that much is because Barca bought Neymar and they need something ridiculous to make a statement this summer. In fact i dont think Real Madrid really need Bale. My estimate is 40m at best. Dont forget not much team in the world can pay fees higher than 40m.

2. I think Bale is/will be injury proned after such an overloaded season. I know this is speculation only but this happens to a lot of players who has had their best career season. Bales game heavily relies on his physical attributes which can be seriously affected any injury. Say like he couldnt run as fast as now, and everyone know his value would decrease by at least half of it.

3. I dont think spurs should continue to rely on bale like last season. Such football cannot give u a CL ticket. You think it is a good gamble, whilst i disagree. It would be much better to buy four more modric than keeping one bale. The team is more balanced and any injury to one of your key players wont be such a disaster.

I also hate to think that logical because as a die hard fans you should always hope your club to keep your best players and challenge for the best. We have had that debate when Carroll fucked off to Liverpool. But then, time proves that we are correct to sell (assuming that the money brought us Cabaye and Ba and Cisse)

btw why do spurs make such mincemeat out of signing good strikers when they manage to get players in for every other position no bother?

That seems to be Levy's Achilles's heel. :lol:

that's what i'm saying, keep him and build on top or sell him and build without him...keeping him and not really pushing on helps no-one imo...we've been there ourselves in the past

I wish I knew. Part of it will be that there aren't too many strikers around who are definitely better than Ade or Defoe, and those will almost certainly want CL football and/or just shit-loads of cash. Michu was a fantastic bargain, and Benteke looks like being the same, but both were a bit of a punt.

We've not been totally shit at it - Berbatov was a cracking bit of work. We've just got caught up in a couple of irritating situations; Leandro Damiao being the prime example. Then you look at the money spunked on Bent and Pav. We recouped most of it, but they were still, essentially, failures.

Bottom line, we're at an awkward point. We're not in the CL, but we're playing at a level that is there or thereabouts (4th the year before last, 72 points last year). Aubameyang is a decent example - available for a reasonable fee, but only really interested in CL. There's an argument that Levy's apparently hardline negotiations can cause problems, but as you say, that doesn't seem to be an issue in other positions.

We've been building teams for the next 5+ years for a while. Now I suspect we've actually got a team to move up to "the next level". Why not try to do that this season? It's looking increasingly like Real will be unable to stump up these ludicrous sums in cash, and will instead try makeweights like Coentrao to pad deals. I can't see them being too happy, and I can't see us being all that interested.

fair point really yeah, but everything hinges on bale's state of mind...if his heads not right it'd be counter-productive, and if he's definitely going to leave next summer is it worth it?

Berbatov was like 5 seasons ago. That's an awfully long time to get another forward to advance to the next level. Considering how you are just below the CL group, it's baffling how Levy has failed to bring in the striker you need to progress.

Leffe, i understand your point, totally understand, but i will go for a sell. 3 reasons to support other than the money is insane:

1. This is also my gut feeling: i think Bale will NOT accept another season without CL. He will definitely spat his dummy out once spurs drop out of top four during the coming season, and spurs will be in a very bad position. U are assuming he would still get a 60m bid. I dont. The reason why Real Madrid wants to pay that much is because Barca bought Neymar and they need something ridiculous to make a statement this summer. In fact i dont think Real Madrid really need Bale. My estimate is 40m at best. Dont forget not much team in the world can pay fees higher than 40m.

2. I think Bale is/will be injury proned after such an overloaded season. I know this is speculation only but this happens to a lot of players who has had their best career season. Bales game heavily relies on his physical attributes which can be seriously affected any injury. Say like he couldnt run as fast as now, and everyone know his value would decrease by at least half of it.

3. I dont think spurs should continue to rely on bale like last season. Such football cannot give u a CL ticket. You think it is a good gamble, whilst i disagree. It would be much better to buy four more modric than keeping one bale. The team is more balanced and any injury to one of your key players wont be such a disaster.

I also hate to think that logical because as a die hard fans you should always hope your club to keep your best players and challenge for the best. We have had that debate when Carroll f***ed off to Liverpool. But then, time proves that we are correct to sell (assuming that the money brought us Cabaye and Ba and Cisse)

Yeah, like I say, I totally get the other side of the argument. This is a really tough question. Really, what are the odds of getting four more Modrics? We bought Berbatov, but we also bought Pav. We bought Modric and Sandro, but we also bought Bent and Bentley.

The thing is, I don't even assume that we'll get another 60M bid, although as I said, if he has another season like this one and we get into the CL, I don't think that's too far-fetched. I just want us to have a crack at the CL this season (and every single trophy, naturally), and I think we've got a better chance of doing that with Bale right now, as opposed to with two or three other players bought with that money this late in pre-season. I agree with what you're saying about Real, but if they don't get Bale, then who are they going to offset Neymar with? The only other candidate I can see this off-season is Suarez, although I stand to be corrected. Then, as I say, if Bale has another great season, then either (a) we sell him to whoever for shit-loads or (b) we keep him.

Bale might be shit this year, although I doubt it. I think there's much more to come from him if surrounded with better players. He might well get injured this year, but like you say, that's not necessarily a reason to offload someone. Fundamentally, if we get Soldado then we shouldn't be relying on Bale so much. Dembele/Sandro/Paulinho behind Chadli/Soldado/Bale sounds fucking ace to me - and you've still probably got Lennon, Townsend and possibly people like Ade/Defoe/Dempsey/Sigurdsson/Holtby on the bench. If AVB can't make a decent team out of that lot, he wants shooting.

Berbatov was like 5 seasons ago. That's an awfully long time to get another forward to advance to the next level. Considering how you are just below the CL group, it's baffling how Levy has failed to bring in the striker you need to progress.

It sort of is, but then, we did progress. We also brought in Adebayor (as well as bringing back Crouch, Defoe and Keane, but there you go). I do agree with you, though, it's incredibly frustrating.

fair point really yeah, but everything hinges on bale's state of mind...if his heads not right it'd be counter-productive, and if he's definitely going to leave next summer is it worth it?

Well that's the crux, isn't it? He's not shown any real signs of his head not being right - all we have as evidence is, well, paper talk. He generally seems to be well-grounded. As for whether it's worth it, well that's exactly what I'm saying. I want to keep him and have a go for CL and trophies this year. If we don't get that, then we sell him - and even if it's "only" for 40M, we can buy a player or two. If we do get that, then of course it's worth it.

I don't think Spurs will sell him anyway, and I applaud the stand on keeping your best player and a world-class one at that. Real may be a very tempting proposition but they happen to meet a tough negotiating b****** in Levy. Could see him getting the most out of Real, or at least another season out of Bale.

Levy must be the best thing to ever happen to Spurs in the last decade. Pure jelly.

http://answers.bettor.com/images/Articles/thumbs/extralarge/Harry-Redknapp-issues-Roman-Pavlyuchenko-warning-as-Heurelho-Gomes-nears-Tottenham-Hotspur-exit-99729.jpg