Yohan Cabaye retires

We were obviously happy to sell him, that's why we flew out to meet his agents. It didn't happen because there was no interest at the price we were looking for. Kinnear's input was probably some misleading bullshit as usual.

Guest bimpy474

Why do I get the feeling JFK fucked up somewhere?

The only way would have been to sell Cabaye cheap surely, well money wise anyway.

Laure James ‏@LaureJames 1h

Pressed again about #nufc "It's not for me to answer, I don't want to talk about it. This is a press conference for the national team."

Laure James ‏@LaureJames 1h

Cabaye rolls eyes in his national team's presser when asked about Newcastle (and strike). "I won't explain about that today."#edf #nufc

I doubt the truth is anything we haven't already surmised.

Arsenal registered an interest > Kinnear told Cabaye he was being sold > Arsenal didn't commit to the fee > Cabaye was told to stay > he was angry and refused to play.

The club made the right decision in rejecting Arsenal's £10m bid, but they shouldn't have told Cabaye that he was being sold. If that is what happened.

The fact is, whether he likes it or not, we've got him for the time being. I've accepted that he won't be here next season, so I'm happy for him to play out of his skin (to invite a buyer/get to the WC) in the mean time.

Guest neesy111

I still don't know why Arsenal wanted him.

It was probably just a contingency bid in case they didn't get Ozil. Both bids happened at similar times, didn't they?

Almost 2 Weeks apart.

Guest firetotheworks

I still think he has another level to show so it could be that. It certainly wouldn't have been for his leadership.

Ozil was a fluke signing imo. By fluke, I mean that Arsenal hadn't identified that position as an issue or seriously pursued Ozil until it became apparent Madrid wanted to sell.

Absolute masterstroke from Wenger, patience has paid dividends, whilst all Arsenal fans panicked around him, he stayed calm and waited for his opportunity, and along came Ozil.

Guest firetotheworks

Ozil was a fluke signing imo. By fluke, I mean that Arsenal hadn't identified that position as an issue or seriously pursued Ozil until it became apparent Madrid wanted to sell.

Absolute masterstroke from Wenger, patience has paid dividends, whilst all Arsenal fans panicked around him, he stayed calm and waited for his opportunity, and along came Ozil.

Eh? They were after Suarez.

Well an Arsenal mate of mine who does know people at Arsenal insisted at the time that it was Kinnear who was briefing the media about the bid when people were saying it was poor from Arsenal to go public when we were about to play City. 

I guess when Kinnear is involved nothing is as it would appear and as that has been Newcastle anyway for the last few years, I guess things are even more complicated now.

Past experience makes me question the Club's version on everything.

:lol:  What an utterly daft post.

A) How the hell do you know who Arsenal were after and what positions they wanted to strengthen?

B) A world class player was available for transfer and they met the asking price.  Generally how business is conducted.

I have quite a few Arsenal supporting mates and most of them seem to think their targets were DM, AM and Striker and that was from the get go.

They got Flamini so that covers the DM part and they were chasing strikers all summer but ultimately failed but was able to get Ozil.

I personally believe long term he wanted to replace Fabregas and Van Persie, but failed with the Van Persie part so then decided to step up the interest in a WC attacking midfielder.

I think originally he wanted to get Suarez this summer and then try and entice Fabregas back or another attacking midfielder next summer.

But when Suarez didn't happen it seems he changed his plan to get an attacking midfielder in this summer and go for a quality striker later down the line.

Obviously they were reliant on Ozil being made available to make that happen but an attacking midfielder was always on the cards, its something they had tried to do all summer on top of a striker..... i personally wouldn't be surprised at all if they go back to Madrid next summer for Benzema.

Eh? They were after Suarez.

And...? If they had signed Suarez, i could have took Ozil out of sentence and replaced with Suarez, my point is he waited for the right player to become available who would take Arsenal on to the next level, he didn't just go out every window and panic buy and splash all the cash, he waited for his one gem of a player and got it in Ozil, Wenger shouldn't have had to put up with the abuse he got from Arsenal fans, he's a genius and they were impatient kernts who the majority never gave their support and trust too.

Yohan Cabaye claims that Newcastle's director of football Joe Kinnear is the only person who can explain what happened about his proposed move to Arsenal.

The French international refused to play at the start of the season, after Arsenal made a bid on the eve of the new season.

Newcastle rebuffed the bid and Cabaye later apologised to the fans over the situation.

Cabaye, now back in the France squad, was asked about his failed Arsenal move by the media in his homeland during a press conference for the national side.

He said: "Was my failed transfer to Arsenal difficult to swallow? At first, yes.

"But you have to quickly get focused again, because if you go on thinking about it you have a grudge against a lot of people and that is useless.

"I quickly forget about it and go back to work."

"The only person who can explain what happened is Joe Kinnear. If he is honest, he will tell it. Otherwise it will not get out of my mouth."

Yohan Cabaye

Cabaye insists that he does not hold anything against some Newcastle fans who booed him upon his return.

"The fans' state of mind was due to what the club wanted to let them know," he said.

"As I didn't talk and I won't give any explanation about what happened, they chose their side. That is part of a career, but I bear no grudge against no one. I accept it, it is in the past."

Cabaye admitted that only Kinnear could reveal the truth behind the situation.

He said: "The only person who can explain what happened is Joe Kinnear. If he is honest, he will tell it. Otherwise it will not get out of my mouth."

Cabaye admits he is delighted to be back in the French squad.

He added: "I missed the French team, but my situation made me not callable for some time.

"Now that I am back the objective is to stay as long as possible, with the hope of going to play next at World Cup in June."

Remy

Meanwhile on the back of his recall to the French side, Cabaye has thrown his support behind Newcastle team-mate Loic Remy, who is also back in the squad.

"He has scored important goals - twice again (on Saturday) and he helped us to win the game so of course he deserves to be in the France squad," Cabaye told nufcTV.

"For me it's fantastic because I love to play forward and with him, it's so easy because he's quick.

"He can move very fast and very cleverly so it's very, very important for us. He gives us another way to play."