Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Just been watching it with the old man. We both agree it isn't a great tackle, but he thinks it is worse than I do. From the reverse angle I maintain that Cabaye's eyes don't change direction and he is looking down - he probably knows someone is coming but isn't sure exactly where. Dad on the other hand thinks he looks at Spearing just before he gets there.

If it was Spearing tackling Cabaye like that, we would have been baying for blood. Couldn't have had any complaints if Cabaye was sent off.

Aye.

Seconded, sadly, could have been accidental, but was a red. Stupid from him

He's making a lot of silly fouls, much like Tiote was last season.

Aye perhaps still adapting to the game. Still think should be playing further up, would much improve our ball retention in last third

Definitely, I can't think of many games (that I watched) at Lille last season where he faced the sustained pressure that he has come under at times for us. He's adapting to a role that I'm not sure he has really experienced before.

Ideally, Tiote would be sitting in front of the back four and Cabaye would be in a more traditional CM position. He's a player who doesn't necessarily need time/space to express himself, but needs options. I'm not sure Obertan and Gutierrez are up to it - a front two of Ben Arfa and Ba on the other hand are...

Yep, he's in the wrong sort of role and we're playing long-ball. I wouldn't say he's covered himself in glory for the last month or so - red card tackles included - but i don't know what we're meant to expect of him when we play this sort of football. If he's gonna do this terrier-like box-to-box thing that he's doing at the moment, i've got no problem with it, providing there's a third centre-mid in there too. An attacking one. But he could do the attacking role just as well.

He's hardly getting any space compared to earlier in the season, our wingers are playing so narrow for some reason (an attempt at solidity or something?) that the centre of the field is extremely crowded. Earlier in the season, we played a bit more expansive and he was getting an extra yard of space to pop passes off here and there.

We must be mate - the one I am referring to can be viewed by searching Yohan Cabaye Challenge on Jay Spearing on youtube.

No apologies... We are talking about the same incident... My mistake... Looked like Adam rolling around in the pub... Just re-watched... Still thought Spearing was reckless from one angle... Whereas from another angle Cabaye doesn't cover himself in glory either... Wonder if thats why the ref actually played on initially...

Not gonna see the best of him until we have some good wingers with some movement, and Pardew ordering him to go forward a little bit more, the space between our attack and midfield is way too big to get the best out of his quality passing. I think that our poor wingers is a big reason that he can't go forward enough.

Guest andrew

Honestly this guy does a crazy amount of work. I still dont think Pardew knows how to use him (or Ben Arfa) which is worrying as they are our two creative players and two top drawer players at that. We started with him as a deep playmaker (Pardew quarterback quotes) which he does a good job at, but then after the Chelsea game that obviously frightened Pardew we've completely changed set up. He's now a box to box player and although he has a brilliant engine and attitude to do it, it's not his best role.

Worrying how Pardew seems to not know our players' roles and positions.

If Spearing wasn't flying in like a twat the whole thing wouldn't have happened, had Yohan not won the ball Spearing  wasn't going to with a two footed lunge.

That's my take on it, Spearing was reckless and got himself hurt by flying in.