Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Guest bimpy474

This is the first season he's played more advanced on a regular basis. Seems to suit him, not a proper 10 mind. More of a free role with Anita and Tiote behind him.

I agree with this. I just think once/if HBA comes back in the team Cabaye will be pushed back and Anita dropped.

Aye or it's a straight swap of HBA for Gouff, but switching HBA right and putting Sissoko left. Tbh i'm not confident Pardew is even going to play HBA unless we get an injury.

Maybe so, but I just think in football players value drops dramatically after a bad season. I'd also have very different opinions on Cabaye if Ashley was not our chairman. I don't have faith that we could build a team around him, so we might as well sell whilst stock is high, or before Pardew puts him into a limiting role.

I understand what your saying, but we must realize now that money means nothing to us Newcastle fans now, If we buy cheap and sell high the profit does not go back into the team, the profit also does not go into our individual pockets. We still pay for our season tickets.

The best we can hope for is that if we get a top quality player we must keep hold. There is no benefit what so ever in selling Cabaye for £25 million because the replacement we have lined up is currently on our books playing for a team in Greece.

The fact of the matter is even if we sold him for £25 Mil you'd have to spend that to get a replacement of his quality.

Couldn't care less how much money was offered - Cabaye is in his prime and we need to hold onto him.

Those who are calling Cabaye shite are off their nut. I concur that this is the man the team should be built around for the next 3-4 years, but it ain't gonna happen. Ashley will seek to cash in sooner, rather than later.

He has had some poor spells, but on the whole - he is quality player. That will be borne out in the rest of the season and the World Cup.

Cabaye is the type of player we should be building our whole team around, not cashing in and letting another team do the same.

The time to build a team around him was at the end of the 2012 season, when he might have still believed he had joined a team going places. Two years on and with a gormless manager still trying to figure out how to work out a style of football to take advantage of technically adept footballers, he's probably had enough. Pardew and Kinnear are going to be here for the next 12 months at least. So if Cabaye is going we might as well get a good fee for him and hope it's spent on a worthy successor.

Can't believe there are still people doubting his ability and what he contributes to the team.

I don't think it's his ability that is in question, just whether we are the right team to actually utilise it properly. He spends far too much time in our own half making bad tackles under the 7-2-1 formation we play, when his quality would be far better exploited in the opposition half.

Can't believe there are still people doubting his ability and what he contributes to the team.

I don't think it's his ability that is in question, just whether we are the right team to actually utilise it properly. He spends far too much time in our own half making bad tackles under the 7-2-1 formation we play, when his quality would be far better exploited in the opposition half.

To tell you the truth, I don't really care if we're the right team to maximize his ability. Bit selfish I suppose, but he's outstanding for us and that's all I really care about..

Mole is spot on above - even in games where it might seem like he's not that involved and he's just "making bad tackles" he's doing far more than most players. The bottom line is we win more games when he's in the team.

What irritates me is that much like the rest of the squad bar Williamson/Tiote is that there has never been any talk of offering him a new deal to stay when its clear how important he is.  From the moment they saw they could get a player of his calibre on the cheap the end goal has been to sell him for a song. Like a bullshit version of bargain hunt. His value as a product to be bartered for is greater than his value in sporting terms.

He's class when things are going his way and he's up for it but shit when they are not. Even then though you'd be need to be committed if you thought getting rid of him was a good idea.

He's actually swayed my opinion of  him this season as if you'd asked me in August I'd have said bin off but he's shown a professionalism I didn't think he had after last seasons debacle in returning from his exile.

One thing is for sure if we do sell, given our limited scope for transfers, his replacement will be inferior.

Cabaye is the type of player we should be building our whole team around, not cashing in and letting another team do the same.

The time to build a team around him was at the end of the 2012 season, when he might have still believed he had joined a team going places. Two years on and with a gormless manager still trying to figure out how to work out a style of football to take advantage of technically adept footballers, he's probably had enough. Pardew and Kinnear are going to be here for the next 12 months at least. So if Cabaye is going we might as well get a good fee for him and hope it's spent on a worthy successor.

Exactly this...on the button.

What irritates me is that much like the rest of the squad bar Williamson/Tiote is that there has never been any talk of offering him a new deal to stay when its clear how important he is.  From the moment they saw they could get a player of his calibre on the cheap the end goal has been to sell him for a song. Like a bullshit version of bargain hunt. His value as a product to be bartered for is greater than his value in sporting terms.

tbf its normally only the 2 years left mark when most clubs think of renewing contracts and as of now I highly doubt he'd sign any new deal, only real situation I can see him signing a new deal is if it had a very clear airtight release clause and probably lower than we'd want it at.

I don't think anyone is doubting his ability. More his mentality (last season) and how he is used under Pardew.

He was inconsistent last season, but still the team seemed to perform better when he was on the pitch even if he wasn't at his best. When he's not playing we do not look the same team at all, we have much less drive going forward and a lot blunter. First season I thought he was magnificent though, having said that he has improved from that this season.

One thing is for sure if we do sell, given our limited scope for transfers, his replacement will be inferior.

You're probably right about the replacement being worse, but TBF that is the same capacity for transfers that saw us buy Cabaye in the first place. Sometimes it's like the signings we do make don't exist on here.

Guest JamesyJazz

He was inconsistent last season, but still the team seemed to perform better when he was on the pitch even if he wasn't at his best. When he's not playing we do not look the same team at all, we have much less drive going forward and a lot blunter. First season I thought he was magnificent though, having said that he has improved from that this season.

Agree,still I can't fully forgive him for his child like refusal to play for the team at the start of the season.

Points have been rightfully made on these boards that we should build a team around Cabaye,unfortunately the current owner has the short sighted attitude of buying cheap and selling high if possible.With this strategy in place we are destined to be a financially secure yet a consistent mid table side.