Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Come from here:

NEWCASTLE PUT £25M PRICE TAG ON YOHAN CABAYE

NEWCASTLE have slapped a £25million price tag on midfielder Yohan Cabaye.

Toon fear the France star, 27, will demand a transfer when he returns for pre-season training.

Cabaye, who has been tracked by Manchester United, Arsenal and Monaco, is wanted by PSG.

Laurent Blanc has replaced Carlo Ancelotti as Paris boss and was in charge of Cabaye as France coach.

But Newcastle, who paid Lille £4.5m for him two years ago, are determined to hold out for the best possible deal.

Their valuation would more than cover the cost of a move for St-Etienne striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.

Interest in the Gabon, star, 24, has intensified with Toon keen on a double deal including France Under-20s defender Kurt Zouma, 18.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/323512/?

That is where my fear ends.

Words like fear, expect, apparently etc.. in a journalistic piece just give them licence to make up what they want. Also the double deal thing has been ruled out as bollocks hasn't it?

Lazy journalism as always.

Cabaye and Tiote both likely to go? I hope we have replacements lined up or this could get ugly.

Oh we'll get plenty of British grit

Midfield is just a concept to Pardew anyway, it really isn't required as part of our direct football approach

In many ways it doesn't really matter who comes out who goes, the bloke in charge of the team is useless and I've got zero faith in him. He simply can't get the best out of his squad and he is the replacement we need. You can buy him as many good players as you want he's still going to under achieve with them.

I'm not sure that a total change in our centre of the park philosophy is the worst thing in the world. It's clearly not worked with Tiote/Cabaye for ages.

There's no doubt Cabaye would excel in a decent team, arguably built around him to an extent, but we're not that.

£25m is a class fee for someone who hasn’t consistently played well. Not that I’m blaming him, it’s obviously Pardew and his tactics. I like the idea of Cabaye and he's scored some vital goals but the reality is that it’ll never really work with Pardew here. Cabaye is good and he’ll go on to show it but if that £25m goes towards Aubameyang and a cheaper replacement, we'll cope. Won't miss those corners though :lol:

I'm not sure that a total change in our centre of the park philosophy is the worst thing in the world. It's clearly not worked with Tiote/Cabaye for ages.

There's no doubt Cabaye would excel in a decent team, arguably built around him to an extent, but we're not that.

I do think the midfield needs a shake up.

Cabaye or no Cabaye, I don't think it works very well.

I do think the midfield needs a shake up.

Cabaye or no Cabaye, I don't think it works very well.

Agree and think the presence of Cabaye (under Pardew at least) influences that. He's a nice technical player but he's not got much presence, doesn't score that many goals, doesn't create all that much and doesn't drive a team forward.

If you surround him with players who can dominate then he'd look immense but as it is he looks lost more often than not.

£25m is a class fee for someone who hasn’t consistently played well. Not that I’m blaming him, it’s obviously Pardew and his tactics.

No, it's just far easier and more optimistic to blame tactics.

Personally I don't think we'll be able to sign a better midfielder and will certainly suffer badly for losing him.

We won't but we might be able to find a more effective one and as a result a more balanced midfield.

That is the best we can hope for anyway.

£25m is a class fee for someone who hasn’t consistently played well. Not that I’m blaming him, it’s obviously Pardew and his tactics.

Nah. It's just more correct, really.

Like it's Pardew's fault his corners are dreadful and he won't make the runs required to support the attack?

Cabaye is genuine quality man, there's absolutely no disputing that.

He has genuine quality, yeah. His suitability to this league is questionable.

Fair enough, but I see him getting beaten with sticks like "is poor at tackling", "has no stamina" and "gives away too many fouls" in attempts to prove this point. The first two are absolutely laughable and can be disputed with stats if people's eyes aren't capable of seeing it in the first place, while the latter is hardly the problem it is made out to be at times for someone in his position.

I'll admit his corners are very poor for someone of such technique but other than that I think he's been a diamond in what he's been asked to do in this team, he's not playing his game at all and he's still been impressive in the main. I'd argue he's our most technically proficient player overall and I'll be gutted if he goes.

I've never beaten him with the tackling stick. It's his mobility, dribbling, presence going forward and consistency I have issues with. I do think he fades pretty badly after 70 minutes, like.

For the record I do want to keep him.

Like it's Pardew's fault his corners are dreadful and he won't make the runs required to support the attack?

Pardew sure isn't at fault for his poor corners. He should tell someone else to take them, though. In any case, that's not something that makes him a bad fit for Premier League. 

When it comes to his play, we can't be sure what Pardew tells him to do. I'm sure he'd make runs to support the attack if that was what he'd been told to. Cabaye has got that part of the game in him. He has shown that in France.