Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

I'd be absolutely amazed if Arsenal get close to spending £20m on anyone let alone Cabaye

Panic sets in at this time of year. Bluffs have been called and clubs that need to sign players, sometimes just to prove they are in the market, pay silly money.

yes but this is Arsene Wenger we're on about

Indeed - if it is Wenger who really calls the shots. The real interest may not be from Arsenal and NUFC are simply waiting to flush out the real money? Hate the situation we are in now, we are simply waiting for the bigger clubs to move so that we can (hopefully) move on the players we want. I know that goes against the grain but it is the way it is and where we are. 

I'd be absolutely amazed if Arsenal get close to spending £20m on anyone let alone Cabaye

Panic sets in at this time of year. Bluffs have been called and clubs that need to sign players, sometimes just to prove they are in the market, pay silly money.

Indeed - if it is Wenger who really calls the shots. The real interest may not be from Arsenal and NUFC are simply waiting to flush out the real money? Hate the situation we are in now, we are simply waiting for the bigger clubs to move so that we can (hopefully) move on the players we want. I know that goes against the grain but it is the way it is and where we are.

we actually want a player?

Other than that silly slip agree, simply the fact of being a club outside the champions league (or arsenal) and the growing trend of football around europe between those with the big cash and those without getting screwed over time and again. Its a sad state of affairs when the winners of the top 4 leagues in europe are between at most 3 clubs but more often 2 or even just 1 club.

Amazed anyone could be devastated, tbh. He was a big upgrade on Nolan as a footballer but next to some of the CMs we've had over the past 15 years he's not fit to lick their underpants. He's one of the better players of an underwhelming squad with a reputation that outweighs his actual effectiveness.

Enlighten me which midfielders you're talking about.

Count me in. Preferably if you could go a bit outside of the box and count out Speed and Lee.

Is this a joke? Batty, Pedro, Speed, Hamann, Lee, Dyer and Parker were all more effective PL players.

Besides that fact it´s over 15 years since Pedro and Batty played for us, I would find it very hard to agree that Cabaye is not fit to lick Hamann, Dyer and Parkers underpants :lol:

Moving on then.

Over 15 years since Pedro and Batty? In your little world, perhaps. Pedro left in 97/98, Batty a year later.

Other than that silly slip agree, simply the fact of being a club outside the champions league (or arsenal) and the growing trend of football around europe between those with the big cash and those without getting screwed over time and again. Its a sad state of affairs when the winners of the top 4 leagues in europe are between at most 3 clubs but more often 2 or even just 1 club.

:thup: Fwiw I do actually think we want to bring players in. 

I've yet to see any real evidence we want to spend money on someone

If they've any sense whatsoever they'll let it stew as long as possible; the low bid has already had the desired effect. It's not like they desperately need him anyway.

As I keep saying, we pride ourselves on being cunts like this to save a few quid so we ought to be familiar with it.

Why would they rush? The player clearly wants to go.

I agree I think he does want away, can't blame him really things are so messed up but there is that nagging little niggle in the back of the mind "are the club fkn with us"

They stand to make a cracking profit if they get the fee they want, what did we pay for him £4.5m ?

Why would they rush? The player clearly wants to go.

And why would we want them to rush?  The longer they leave it, the more excuse we've got to spend f***-all.

Well Ashley may think like that but I certainly hope he doesn't.

We need 3 in with utmost urgency, we obviously won't get them but we desperately need them all the same.

Would imagine you probably said the same last summer.

Not sure about that but I suppose the truth is on this forum somewhere. 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-target-yohan-cabaye-strike-2218280

A Newcastle source said: “Yohan is Mike Ashley’s favourite player but the boss will not tolerate the current situation. He believes that if someone signs a contract then they must honour it.

“If a move does not materialise and Cabaye continues to sulk he will be banished to the reserves.”

Pardew was tight-lipped yesterday, saying only: “If he stays, great. If he does not, we need to get someone who is just as good.”

Well yeah, not disputing that. They were all brilliant players (bar perhaps Parker, but that might be because he was not used correctly).

He was a class above Cabaye, no doubt about it.

Parker? :lol: Very good player for us, but extremely limited footballer.

Well Pardew has said that we don't need to sell Cabaye to do that, so unless we get the right money we should refuse to sell, and if he doesn't like it tough. He shouldn't have signed a 5 year contract.

Looks like you totally avoided the forum last summer, apart from one post.  Guess you must've been busy.

lol imagine going all out trying to leave a club then finding out you're the owner's favorite player and they're so annoyed they're gonna wreck your career in revenge  :lol:

If Cabaye has spat his dummy out and no-one comes in for him at an appropiate price then he may be screwed. He'll want to come back and play for his france career mind so no-reason he wouldn't turn in a performance.

Looks like you totally avoided the forum last summer, apart from one post.  Guess you must've been busy.

I seem to remember not being ars*d to post much as I was pretty sure we were only going to sign one first team player.  :cool:

Guest hatem garrincha

Ryder's version corroborate what the french reporter in Newcastle said today during the game : Cabaye engaged a "bras de fer" with the club.

I seem to remember not being ars*d to post much as I was pretty sure we were only going to sign one first team player.  :cool:

:lol: Right.