Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

That's "how it is" because that's the mentality that they've chosen to take. We're designed to sit in mid table and make profit from selling Frenchmen.

Well, partly, and partly because of length of time since we've been a regular CL club. I don't want it to happen either, but it's not like we're offloading our best players constantly.

I don't believe the goal is to sell constantly, I believe they value stability and their ultimate goal with sales is to sell someone when they're at their peak value to one of the wealthier clubs, looking to make big profits on fewer sales.

But I don't buy that Yohan Cabaye would be desperate to go play in France again, if he felt he was at a club that actually had ambitions of getting into the CL, or winning a competition. I think it'd be a different story if it was an English/Spanish CL contender (see Arsenal), but I think his desire to goto PSG isn't out of any great love for PSG, it's just his only feasible option of achieving something.

Ronaldo, Bale, RvP, Falcao to name 4 were at big clubs challenging for titles/wanting to get into the CL, but clubs with bigger money in terms of wages & likelihood of achieving those goals still bid big money to get them. Are you saying Man Utd, Spurs, Arsenal & Ath. Madrid have no ambition?

You mean play bigi in the advanced role Cabaye has been playing? With Anita and Tiote behind?

Is that you Pards?

I never said anything about any advanced role tbf.

I'd play a flat 3 in midfield with a flat front 3 of Remy and Ben Arfa flanking Gouff.

And leave Remy even more isolated up front? I'd rather bring Marveaux back from the dead.

Are you not reading? i said i'd play Remy on the left and Gouffran through the middle.

You mean play bigi in the advanced role Cabaye has been playing? With Anita and Tiote behind?

Is that you Pards?

I'd play a flat 3 in midfield with a flat front 3 of Remy and Ben Arfa flanking Gouff.

It's just that the last time I can remember us lining up with 3 defensive midfielders was against Liverpool in that 0-6 horror show :(

Guest bimpy474

“Am I confident (of retaining Cabaye)? No. I don't think any team not in a Champions League position, or fighting for a Champions League position, would be different.”

I'm not saying we will get in the Champions League, but we're 7 points off of 4th so arguably we can still fight for the place. What a negative cunt. I hate the prick.

I thought that, aren't we fighting for Champions League then. Obviously not. Apart from that, the interview isn't as negative as usual tbf.

I wouldn't be too distraught if it meant one of Grenier/Cabella came in, I think they'd be a better fit for the current system, in the long run . I just have no faith that we'd get one of them.

Same here tbh. Cabaye's a quality player but with the pace of some premier league games he can sometimes get overrun. If we get a hefty fee and one of those two come in, it will be decent business IMO.

Guest bimpy474

Is that you Pards?

It's just that the last time I can remember us lining up with 3 defensive midfielders was against Liverpool in that 0-6 horror show :(

3 central midfielders doesn't have to mean 3 defensive midfielders. It should be about movement within the 3 to attack and defend.

Guest palnese

Is that you Pards?

And leave Remy even more isolated up front? I'd rather bring Marveaux back from the dead.

Are you not reading? i said i'd play Remy on the left and Gouffran through the middle.

My bad, but my point still stands.

That's "how it is" because that's the mentality that they've chosen to take. We're designed to sit in mid table and make profit from selling Frenchmen.

Well, partly, and partly because of length of time since we've been a regular CL club. I don't want it to happen either, but it's not like we're offloading our best players constantly.

I don't believe the goal is to sell constantly, I believe they value stability and their ultimate goal with sales is to sell someone when they're at their peak value to one of the wealthier clubs, looking to make big profits on fewer sales.

But I don't buy that Yohan Cabaye would be desperate to go play in France again, if he felt he was at a club that actually had ambitions of getting into the CL, or winning a competition. I think it'd be a different story if it was an English/Spanish CL contender (see Arsenal), but I think his desire to goto PSG isn't out of any great love for PSG, it's just his only feasible option of achieving something.

Ronaldo, Bale, RvP, Falcao to name 4 were at big clubs challenging for titles/wanting to get into the CL, but clubs with bigger money in terms of wages & likelihood of achieving those goals still bid big money to get them. Are you saying Man Utd, Spurs, Arsenal & Ath. Madrid have no ambition?

World record bid, world record bid, 1 year left on contract, ridiculous 3rd party transfer with all manner of complexity.

And even if your examples weren't total shite, your question would still have been irrelevant, as I have at no point said that we should never sell a player.

We won't sign a replacement, Kinnear is out of his depth regardless of what he says; I don't believe he has any contacts in the modern game, certainly not in France, and has the grace of a pissed up baby elephant when it comes to negotiating.

Great timing just before two important fixtures, and what should have been 6 points.

:dave:

Guest bimpy474

In that press thingy about Cabaye, Pardew did say about bringing someone else seperate to Cabaye the club have been working on. Assuming that would be De Jong. Now call me sceptical but we keep hearing that and it.

World record bid, world record bid, 1 year left on contract, ridiculous 3rd party transfer with all manner of complexity.

And even if your examples weren't total shite, your question would still have been irrelevant, as I have at no point said that we should never sell a player.

The point isn't total shite at all, the point is that more successful and richer teams always buy the best players of other clubs. How is that irrelevant, it's exactly what's happening here.

And even if your examples weren't total s****, your question would still have been irrelevant.

I don't think Cabaye's particularly desperate to leave. I'd say we've progressed further than we thought we would since he's signed as well.

And whether we admit it or not, PSG are very close to being at that "elite" level now, winning titles, living at home, competing for the Champions League, playing regularly in the national side. I'd say for a 28 year old those are pretty massive factors whether you think we're not ambitious or are.

In that press thingy about Cabaye, Pardew did say about bringing someone else seperate to Cabaye the club have been working on. Assuming that would be De Jong. Now call me sceptical but we keep hearing that and it.

Aye

Pardew on transfers: 'We hope to sign a player outside the Cabaye situation. We're a little bit closer with that.'

Thing is we've heard it all before.

The point isn't total shite at all, the point is that more successful and richer teams always buy the best players of other clubs. How is that irrelevant, it's exactly what's happening here.

For astronomical fees.

If someone bids £40m for Yohan Cabaye, I'd drive him there myself*, but they haven't, and won't. They'll bid ~£18m and he'll be straight on the helicopter.

*wouldn't actually drive him myself, as i'm very far away + the money wouldn't be invested back in the team anyway.

Guest bimpy474

Is the selling of Cabaye as horrible as it might be, not the real problem. It's the buying of the replacement we're all more worried about.

For astronomical fees.

If someone bids £40m for Yohan Cabaye, I'd drive him there myself*, but they haven't, and won't. They'll bid ~£18m and he'll be straight on the helicopter.

*wouldn't actually drive him myself, as i'm very far away + the money wouldn't be invested back in the team anyway.

Ah right, well we're just arguing about the amount then. Personally I would definitely hold out for over £20m, that's not bad for a player who arrived for around £5m.

Guest Haris Vuckic

We were always going to be selling Cabaye - it's part of the mission statement and players always go where the money is sooner rather than later.

However we should be in a position to refuse the transfer unless the replacement is in place. We've had a long time to look for a replacement and there really is no excuse if they flog him without one.

We'd lose creativity in the middle but gain it in the wide areas if that happens so six and two threes.

From what I've been told about Cabella he'll soon be a central player, perfect for floating around the final third in a free role. I think we'd really benefit from having a proper central playmaker, Cabaye's done relatively well there but I don't think it's his long term position.

Is the selling of Cabaye as horrible as it might be, not the real problem. It's the buying of the replacement we're all more worried about.

We've got people in the squad as it stands to still do very well, I'm just not convinced with Pardew playing Marveaux/HBA ahead of fecking Shola. That's why we need a replacement because at least we know the chances are he'll play.

For astronomical fees.

Ah right, well we're just arguing about the amount then. Personally I would definitely hold out for over £20m, that's not bad for a player who arrived for around £5m.

I don't give a shit what we paid for him personally. He's an asset that has appreciated in value. Nowadays £20m is absolutely ordinary, and we're talking about selling to a team with more money than sense. I'm going to be displeased if we sell for anything less than £30m.

Might as well add this caveat to all my posts: even if we get a fee that I'd be "happy" with, I'm still going to be paying very close attention to what actually becomes of that income.

We were always going to be selling Cabaye - it's part of the mission statement and players always go where the money is sooner rather than later.

However we should be in a position to refuse the transfer unless the replacement is in place. We've had a long time to look for a replacement and there really is no excuse if they flog him without one.

We might try to get a replacement, but we'll flog Cabaye regardless. We're mid-table, not going to get relegated and don't really want to be in Europe. Why would Ashley care if we get a replacement now or in the summer?

Guest bimpy474

Aye and that's the folly of a transfer policy of selling before the replacement is in. We will always be open to being left short in transfer windows. Why should anyone sell to us so late just because we left things so late.

Money talks of course and when the price is up we refuse to pay and would rather miss out. It's a mental policy.