Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

There's not a lot of difference between playing for Newcastle, Villa, Swansea, Stoke or Crystal Palace when it comes to international football call-ups. There's a lot of delusion on here today.

But couldn't he play for someone better than all of those?

Regular football & the right fit (age mostly)? Everton perhaps, Southampton. Too old and slow for Liverpool & Spurs I believe. Although he would improve Liverpool definitely. Dont' think he would do well in Spurs pressing game.

Delusion man :lol:

I know fine well we haven't been outbidding anyone, yet, seemingly without even trying whilst actively not trying, we've managed to attract good players for years now. Few of which would have joined Crystal Palace unless they payed vastly higher wages.

This isn;t even an argument of us v Palace though, I can see no reason why Cabaye would go there unless he really, really wanted to return to the Premiership and it was literally between them and Stoke, or something like that. If he has an offer from Everton he'll go there I'd imagine.

London.

There's not a lot of difference between playing for Newcastle, Villa, Swansea, Stoke or Crystal Palace when it comes to international football call-ups. There's a lot of delusion on here today.

I'd argue that for a French international there would be benefit to playing at a club with Sissoko and Cabella than at a club with no other French internationals, even if there will be little in the league placings of the mentioned clubs

Now we have the that French contingent which is definitely a big bonus. But when he joined we had finished 11th, having just been promoted the season before. I can see why, with the pull of Houllier he would have them as first choice.

I know fine well we haven't been outbidding anyone, yet, seemingly without even trying whilst actively not trying, we've managed to attract good players for years now. Few of which would have joined Crystal Palace unless they payed vastly higher wages.

That's where you are wrong. We have been signing players who are paid below the PL wage market value. Cabaye, Sissoko, Anita, MYM etc. all earn comfortably more now than at their old clubs. NO other club was willing to pay them such wages that's why they are here. To play in the PL the best shop window in the world and to get paid PL wages - the best in the world. Our wage bill is what 8th highest? SO guess what? Only 7 clubs in the division I would expect to be able to pay more than us.

You seem to think players come here because we are a "big" club. No, they come to the PL because it's the best paid & best shop window and we are one of the bigger dogs. All things being equal we should not be signing the captain of Ajax.

Delusion man :lol:

This isn;t even an argument of us v Palace though, I can see no reason why Cabaye would go there unless he really, really wanted to return to the Premiership and it was literally between them and Stoke, or something like that. If he has an offer from Everton he'll go there I'd imagine.

London.

That doesn't seem to have been a great attraction for them or their neighbours in the past like, unless it's accompanied by a massive paycheck.

I'd argue that for a French international there would be benefit to playing at a club with Sissoko and Cabella than at a club with no other French internationals, even if there will be little in the league placings of the mentioned clubs

Now we have the that French contingent which is definitely a big bonus. But when he joined we had finished 11th, having just been promoted the season before. I can see why, with the pull of Houllier he would have them as first choice.

That's where you are wrong. We have been signing players who are paid below the PL wage market value. Cabaye, Sissoko, Anita, MYM etc. all earn comfortably more now than at their old clubs. NO other club was willing to pay them such wages that's why they are here. To play in the PL the best shop window in the world and to get paid PL wages - the best in the world. Our wage bill is what 8th highest? SO guess what? Only 7 clubs in the division I would expect to be able to pay more than us.

You seem to think players come here because we are a "big" club. No, they come to the PL because it's the best paid & best shop window and we are one of the bigger dogs. All things being equal we should not be signing the captain of Ajax.

:lol: Ner, I think we're a far bigger attraction than Crystal Palace for multiple reasons though.

Paycheque's are one of the biggest defining factors of where players end up though. It's such an odd debate. Jack Colback would be one of their biggest earners.

Not really, the least attractive in other areas you are as a club the more it will take to bring top players in. Hense why we have West Ham paying players daft shite like £70k a week where they'd be on about £25k anywhere else.

In any case, with how ridiculous the TV money is getting just about anyone from Leicester City to Crystal Palace will be able to play a few key players 100k a week if they so desire.

TV money is the great leveler for all of the non-oil-money clubs, and traditional size of fanbase will quickly become irrelevant. I suspect that within a few years there will be very little difference in terms of financial means between clubs like Spurs (or a non-gimped version of NUFC) and those like Crystal Palace.

I don't see how we could be seen as a bigger attraction than Crystal Palace at the minute. They finished above us in the league, pay their staff more (that's why we lost Pardew to them), they're based in London which I believe is a big pull especially to Foreign players and probably have the most atmospheric stadium in the league as opposed to the morgue that is SJP.

Besides Cabaye has already been here and knows how the club operates so he'd be a fool to come back for more.

In any case, with how ridiculous the TV money is getting just about anyone from Leicester City to Crystal Palace will be able to play a few key players 100k a week if they so desire.

TV money is the great leveler for all of the non-oil-money clubs, and traditional size of fanbase will quickly become irrelevant. I suspect that within a few years there will be very little difference in terms of financial means between clubs like Spurs (or a non-gimped version of NUFC) and those like Crystal Palace.

Clubs with large stadiums playing in front of big crowds will still be more attractive to players and managers though. If Newcastle were up against Southampton for a player given all else was equal, I think a lot would still choose us. But obviously we would need to be seen as a club that wants to challenge rather than our current survival mode.

I don't see how we could be seen as a bigger attraction than Crystal Palace at the minute. They finished above us in the league, pay their staff more (that's why we lost Pardew to them), they're based in London which I believe is a big pull especially to Foreign players and probably have the most atmospheric stadium in the league as opposed to the morgue that is SJP.

Besides Cabaye has already been here and knows how the club operates so he'd be a fool to come back for more.

Crystal Palace are a yo yo club at best. They spend most of their time in the Championship.  We pay more in general to our players than Palace. We are a better known club in Europe. We have good well known international players in our squad such as Sissoko, Janmaat, Krul, players that come here have a good track record of moving to good clubs like Cabaye, Ba and Debuchy, even M'biwa. If I was a foreign player choosing between both teams it would be an easy decision for me

I think the problem is Newcastle is still a club that Yohan follows and he'll be fully aware of the absolute shambles going on here which is much worse than when he first arrived. With that in mind, I don't think the Dreamboat will be looking to come back any time soon. :(

How much is he earning at PSG, anybody know? I can't imagine many teams can offer him what he's earning there outside of the big clubs so it'll likely only be a loan move that he makes. Unless he wants to take a pay cut. In that scenario (a loan) I can see him going somewhere like Palace - knows the coach, knows he'll play every game as long as he's fit and it's in London near his buddy. Unlikely but not implausible imo.

How much is he earning at PSG, anybody know? I can't imagine many teams can offer him what he's earning there outside of the big clubs so it'll likely only be a loan move that he makes. Unless he wants to take a pay cut. In that scenario (a loan) I can see him going somewhere like Palace - knows the coach, knows he'll play every game as long as he's fit and it's in London near his buddy. Unlikely but not implausible imo.

55k according to this http://www.tsmplay.com/football/psg-players-salaries/

I think the problem is Newcastle is still a club that Yohan follows and he'll be fully aware of the absolute shambles going on here which is much worse than when he first arrived. With that in mind, I don't think the Dreamboat will be looking to come back any time soon. :(

Aye - nee chance.

55k according to this http://www.tsmplay.com/football/psg-players-salaries/

Ok that's not nearly as much as I thought which makes what I said irrelevant  :laugh:

Clubs with large stadiums playing in front of big crowds will still be more attractive to players and managers though. If Newcastle were up against Southampton for a player given all else was equal, I think a lot would still choose us. But obviously we would need to be seen as a club that wants to challenge rather than our current survival mode.

Things are rarely equal though. 9 times outta 10 whoever pays the most gets the player

Matt Spiro @mattspiro

Cabaye now admitting in press conference he needs/wants to leave #PSG. Has been big disappointment but could still do good job for someone