Twitter nonsense

Thespence

Bobby wasn't without fault though and people need to remember that.  He was incredibly stubborn at times, the way he treated Solano for example was pretty mystifying tbh, and put Darren Ambrose under more pressure if anything.  Fair enough, he thought Nobby was on his way down but tbh I think he was proven wrong later on because Nobby was still very useful for us in his second stint a couple of years later.  It was the performances that were irking people more than anything else, we'd been a much poorer team for about 18 months before Robson was eventually sacked.  Hindsight shows that we were mad to get rid of him, but if we'd done it in the summer just gone or the one upcoming then we'd have been able to get someone better than that joker Souness and we may well have gone onwards and upwards, harsh as it was to sack him.

There's a load of balls talked regarding this time frame in the history of NUFC - there was a section of players who behaved like little twats all season long, and that coupled with the underachievement on the pitch culminated in what happened in both during and after the Wolves game, rightly or wrongly. Robson should have left that summer, without question. The only thing Shepherd could be accused of is not either sacking Robson then or giving him a director of football position. Actually scrap that, the other major balls up fatso did was undermining Robson's authority further be publically announcing that it would be his last season in charge of NUFC. I can't remember anyone who was happy upon hearing that Robson had been sacked; I for one just felt saddened. Oh, and the little cocksnot who was caught sticking his V's behind Bobby's back was Craig Bellamy, so he can f*** right off for a start, the mendacious little get.

His treatment of Solano is one of the few black marks against Robson. It seemed to stem from something petty like Nobby wanting to go back and play for Peru from what I recall. I could never understand why one of the better professionals at the club got a hard time whereas Jenas got away with being utter shite because he was one of Bobby's boys.

His treatment of Solano is one of the few black marks against Robson. It seemed to stem from something petty like Nobby wanting to go back and play for Peru from what I recall. I could never understand why one of the better professionals at the club got a hard time whereas Jenas got away with being utter shite because he was one of Bobby's boys.

Solano said he would quit international football then changed his mind which pissed Bobby off.

Jenas shared a birthday with Bobby which made him a bit of a golden boy.

IIRC.

Solano said he would quit international football then changed his mind which pissed Bobby off.

IIRC.

I don't think it was fair to ask Solano to quit international football while we had so many other international players who were free to play for their country. Bobby got most things right but selling Solano was a gaffe. He had a telepathic understanding with Dyer and we lost something from our game with that decision. Dyer publicly said it would be a big loss to lose Solano and he was right.

Guest dazzanufc1892

His treatment of Solano is one of the few black marks against Robson. It seemed to stem from something petty like Nobby wanting to go back and play for Peru from what I recall. I could never understand why one of the better professionals at the club got a hard time whereas Jenas got away with being utter s**** because he was one of Bobby's boys.

Solano said he would quit international football then changed his mind which p*ssed Bobby off.

IIRC.

I don't think it was fair to ask Solano to quit international football while we had so many other international players who were free to play for their country. Bobby got most things right but selling Solano was a gaffe. He had a telepathic understanding with Dyer and we lost something from our game with that decision. Dyer publicly said it would be a big loss to lose Solano and he was right.

but dyer was, and still is a complete twat, so his opinion doesn't matter

I agree that it wasn't right to expect Solano to quit international football.  It was a pain in the arse yeah, but certainly not as big an inconvenience as the fitness records of Bellamy or Dyer for example.  Nobby was a footballing god in his home country ffs, a real hero, and tbh you just have to let your players get on with it in that situation.  Although I suppose if you look at the situation with Giggs and Wales and Ferguson then there's an example of a player putting club far above his country, but I do think it was unfair to expect that of Solano.

His treatment of Solano is one of the few black marks against Robson. It seemed to stem from something petty like Nobby wanting to go back and play for Peru from what I recall. I could never understand why one of the better professionals at the club got a hard time whereas Jenas got away with being utter s**** because he was one of Bobby's boys.

Solano said he would quit international football then changed his mind which p*ssed Bobby off.

IIRC.

but dyer was, and still is a complete twat, so his opinion doesn't matter

Yeah that was the major point being made in that post.

Yup, they all had a big part to play in the his demise as our manager. Plus, they're also part of the reason Shepherd decided to go for Souness due to his 'stricter' approach.

Fair play to them for showing remorse, in particular Dyer, as you could see how upset he was when he gave that interview post-match for West Ham just after SBR died.

Exactly, I've said it before but Shepherd's appointments seemed very reactionary.  Keegan's too cavalier, recruit the more pragmatic Dalglish.  Dalglish has taken the fun out of it, recruit the sexy football merchant Gullit.  Gullit has no idea what NUFC means to the city, recruit the local legend Bobby Robson.  Robson's too soft, get that arsehole Souness in to smash some skulls.  He kind of stumbled across Roeder and Allardyce being our manager always seemed to be on the cards for some reason, but the Souness appointment in particular was an example of bowing to public perception of how the club was being run and just getting a radgee in for the sake of it.

:thup: :thup:

There's a load of balls talked regarding this time frame in the history of NUFC - there was a section of players who behaved like little twats all season long, and that coupled with the underachievement on the pitch culminated in what happened in both during and after the Wolves game, rightly or wrongly. Robson should have left that summer, without question. The only thing Shepherd could be accused of is not either sacking Robson then or giving him a director of football position. Actually scrap that, the other major balls up fatso did was undermining Robson's authority further be publically announcing that it would be his last season in charge of NUFC. I can't remember anyone who was happy upon hearing that Robson had been sacked; I for one just felt saddened. Oh, and the little cocksnot who was caught sticking his V's behind Bobby's back was Craig Bellamy, so he can f*** right off for a start, the mendacious little get.

That's the significant point for me.  Nowt empowers your manager more than announcing him a dead man walking before a ball's been kicked.

And I never realised it was Bellamy although I'm not hugely surprised, the guy's a nutcase.

I came on here thinking there must be some decent rumours going around but I find that you lot are talking about Bobby dropping Solano. Well let me tell you all when you catch up to the rest of us in tour time frame your going to be fucking devastated, if you haven't committed suicide by then.

I came on here thinking there must be some decent rumours going around but I find that you lot are talking about Bobby dropping Solano. Well let me tell you all when you catch up to the rest of us in tour time frame your going to be fucking devastated, if you haven't committed suicide by then.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/entries/icons/original/000/005/970/I-can-count-to-potato.jpg?1306872919

I agree that it wasn't right to expect Solano to quit international football.  It was a pain in the arse yeah, but certainly not as big an inconvenience as the fitness records of Bellamy or Dyer for example.  Nobby was a footballing god in his home country ffs, a real hero, and tbh you just have to let your players get on with it in that situation.  Although I suppose if you look at the situation with Giggs and Wales and Ferguson then there's an example of a player putting club far above his country, but I do think it was unfair to expect that of Solano.

I personally thought it was a fair decision to try and get him to quit international football. I think he thoroughly justified his decision in his book, solano went back on his word which caused problems because he'd be returning from long haul.flights 24 hours before games. Players have been moved on for far less. As for SBR getting sacked, I put the blame on the fans first, then shepherd followed by the players themselves.

Really bugs me how people try and vindicate the behaviour and expectations of the fans after he saved us from relegation then arguably made us one of the better sides in Europe. It was one of the best periods in the history of the football club and whilst we didn't play well at all, we still finished in a respectable position. He deserved at least one more year. 5th place was seen as a failure after 2 years of relative success and he wasn't given the opportunity at all to rectify things. 

I personally thought it was a fair decision to try and get him to quit international football. I think he thoroughly justified his decision in his book, solano went back on his word which caused problems because he'd be returning from long haul.flights 24 hours before games. Players have been moved on for far less. As for SBR getting sacked, I put the blame on the fans first, then shepherd followed by the players themselves.

Really bugs me how people try and vindicate the behaviour and expectations of the fans after he saved us from relegation then arguably made us one of the better sides in Europe. It was one of the best periods in the history of the football club and whilst we didn't play well at all, we still finished in a respectable position. He deserved at least one more year. 5th place was seen as a failure after 2 years of relative success and he wasn't given the opportunity at all to rectify things. 

Look at what Liverpool did with Houllier that summer. That's what we should have done. The football in Robson's last season, especially away from home was dreadful at times.

Although it certainly would have been interesting if he'd have brought Emile M'Penza in as our main striker...

Look at what Liverpool did with Houllier that summer. That's what we should have done. The football in Robson's last season, especially away from home was dreadful at times.

Although it certainly would have been interesting if he'd have brought Emile M'Penza in as our main striker...

Aye, and they were the team that beat us to the champions league slot, too. Too much sentimental revisionist guff goes on regarding this era.

IIRC.

I just think Sir Bob reckoned that Solano had passed his peak, and that Darren Ambrose needed first team football to fulfil his potential. I don't think there was anything personal in it. It was just one of those judgements that managers have to make. Sometimes they come off, sometimes they don't. Ambrose wasn't quite the player that Sir Bob hoped.

Things turned for Sir Bob at the start of his last full season, when he suggested to Shepherd that we accept Liverpool's offer for Shearer. That's when he became a dead man walking.

Absolutely, had we gone out and fetched in a manager of rafas class and achieved similar levels of success as he had done the decision would have been vindicated but if I remember correctly houllier finished outside the CL places the seasons we qulaified? Wasn't given the push then. I just never appreciated the idea that as a Newcastle fan, we had the right to demand that 5 place was a failure, irrespective of the circumstances of that 'failure'. I'm not saying we should have stuck by him uncodtionally, wenger stylee, only that he deserved one more season.

Emile m'penza singing for us is neither here nor there, who knows what he could have achieved.

Yup, they all had a big part to play in the his demise as our manager. Plus, they're also part of the reason Shepherd decided to go for Souness due to his 'stricter' approach.

Fair play to them for showing remorse, in particular Dyer, as you could see how upset he was when he gave that interview post-match for West Ham just after SBR died.

Exactly, I've said it before but Shepherd's appointments seemed very reactionary.  Keegan's too cavalier, recruit the more pragmatic Dalglish.  Dalglish has taken the fun out of it, recruit the sexy football merchant Gullit.  Gullit has no idea what NUFC means to the city, recruit the local legend Bobby Robson.  Robson's too soft, get that arsehole Souness in to smash some skulls.  He kind of stumbled across Roeder and Allardyce being our manager always seemed to be on the cards for some reason, but the Souness appointment in particular was an example of bowing to public perception of how the club was being run and just getting a radgee in for the sake of it.

But nobody - or no significant number of people - objected to Dalglish or Gullit at the time.

Souness, yes, was a guaranteed disaster and, yes, a kneejerk reaction to the young guns' piss taking of Bobby.

But nobody - or no significant number of people - objected to Dalglish or Gullit at the time.

Souness, yes, was a guaranteed disaster and, yes, a kneejerk reaction to the young guns' piss taking of Bobby.

And tbh I must admit that I was happy with every one of those appointments bar Souness and to a certain extent Allardyce.  The idea that we could have hung around for Bobby Robson for 6 months until he finished his contract with Barcelona after Keegan left makes me die a bit inside though. :lol:

Exactly, I've said it before but Shepherd's appointments seemed very reactionary.  Keegan's too cavalier, recruit the more pragmatic Dalglish.  Dalglish has taken the fun out of it, recruit the sexy football merchant Gullit.  Gullit has no idea what NUFC means to the city, recruit the local legend Bobby Robson.  Robson's too soft, get that arsehole Souness in to smash some skulls.  He kind of stumbled across Roeder and Allardyce being our manager always seemed to be on the cards for some reason, but the Souness appointment in particular was an example of bowing to public perception of how the club was being run and just getting a radgee in for the sake of it.

Souness, yes, was a guaranteed disaster and, yes, a kneejerk reaction to the young guns' p*ss taking of Bobby.

Tbh I had never thought that Souness was first choice to take over after SBR - wasn't he plan C or D? So I'm not convinced that there was a conscious move to bring a disciplinarian in. Souness was about to be sacked by Blackburn, other candidates for the job at Newcastle couldn't or wouldn't take the job. Blackburn didn't want Souness but he was still under contract so we paid Blackburn a seven figure sum for his services. That is my understanding of what happened  :dontknow: