Dimitar Berbatov

JH

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_7001473,00.html

Dimitar Berbatov's agent expects to know where the striker's future lies after crunch talks with Manchester United.

So long as it's not here. 

Why wouldn't you want the joint top goal scorer of the Premier League last season at Newcastle?

Heart isn't in to, can't meet his wages, he was joint top because he was with man u( and also bullied the lesser sides) and not due to being that great, is past it, wouldn't fit in, hates the French, too old, only mongs want him signed, was dropped in the CL final for Owen, etc...

Wumming?

Playing for one of the best teams in the world, their top scorer last season and people are trying to turn that into a negative.  Seriously, what's going on..

Are we now going to sign players not on the basis if they could make the step up, but if they could make the step down.  Eto'o scored 37 goals for Inter last season, might be worth a punt.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_7001473,00.html

Dimitar Berbatov's agent expects to know where the striker's future lies after crunch talks with Manchester United.

So long as it's not here.  

Why wouldn't you want the joint top goal scorer of the Premier League last season at Newcastle?

Heart isn't in to, can't meet his wages, he was joint top because he was with man u( and also bullied the lesser sides) and not due to being that great, is past it, wouldn't fit in, hates the French, too old, only mongs want him signed, was dropped in the CL final for Owen, etc...

Really, you do know that he is a boyhood Newcastle fan who is rumoured to still sleep in a Newcastle top and has often said in the past that it would be a dream for him to play for us?

Playing for one of the best teams in the world, their top scorer last season and people are trying to turn that into a negative.  Seriously, what's going on..

Are we now going to sign players not on the basis if they could make the step up, but if they could make the step down.  Eto'o scored 37 goals for Inter last season, might be worth a punt.

Too old, too arrogant, too black.

Guest BooBoo

I can't believe this is even up for debate

The fact that this bull keeps getting bumped just shows how dull a week its been for NUFC news since last weekend.

The fact that this bull keeps getting bumped just shows how dull a week its been for NUFC news since last weekend.

It's Friday tomorrow!

http://static02.mediaite.com/gossipcop/uploads/2011/03/Screen-shot-2011-03-13-at-12.58.32-PM-300x239.png

It's Friday tomorrow!

http://static02.mediaite.com/gossipcop/uploads/2011/03/Screen-shot-2011-03-13-at-12.58.32-PM-300x239.png

Did Messi give you permission to post a picture of his lass?

It's Friday tomorrow!

Did Messi give you permission to post a picture of his lass?

I thought Gary Glitter had dibs on her.

I kind of agree with Thomas on this one, not sure I think we want him at the club. There must be serious question marks about the guys character if Michael Owen is picked ahead of him for the biggest game in club football.

He certainly did do very well in front of goal last season, but again I tend to agree that that had a lot to do with being a product of a system at Manure although there were genuine moments of individual class and skill not denying that.

Yes he is better than what we've got, and in the short term he would get us goals, but I think we have to learn from past mistakes and start looking long term and that's where it falls down for me. It'll take a siginificant wedge to buy him, how much did they buy him for again 20 or 30 mil wasn't it ? That wasn't that long ago and they'll expect a sizable chunk of that back. He'll also demand an Owen like salary for a number of years, that'll probably take him past the age Nolan would have been at the end of the contract term we baulked at.

If he was going for a couple of million and was likely to expect around 40-50k a week, I think it would be a no brainer but that's clearly not the case here, so despite how good he is or was I would be looking elsewhere for now at least.

I kind of agree with Thomas on this one, not sure I think we want him at the club. There must be serious question marks about the guys character if Michael Owen is picked ahead of him for the biggest game in club football.

He certainly did do very well in front of goal last season, but again I tend to agree that that had a lot to do with being a product of a system at Manure although there were genuine moments of individual class and skill not denying that.

Yes he is better than what we've got, and in the short term he would get us goals, but I think we have to learn from past mistakes and start looking long term and that's where it falls down for me. It'll take a siginificant wedge to buy him, how much did they buy him for again 20 or 30 mil wasn't it ? That wasn't that long ago and they'll expect a sizable chunk of that back. He'll also demand an Owen like salary for a number of years, that'll probably take him past the age Nolan would have been at the end of the contract term we baulked at.

If he was going for a couple of million and was likely to expect around 40-50k a week, I think it would be a no brainer but that's clearly not the case here, so despite how good he is or was I would be looking elsewhere for now at least.

That's fair enough, some reasonable points. Personally I wouldn't mind if we spent up to £10m to get him and his wages were up to £60k a week. I think he could do a job here for at least 3 years, and it's not just his goals he has fantastic vision and passing as well. He would setup a load as well.

But past that fee and wages I'd start to think the deal was too expensive.

That's fair enough, some reasonable points. Personally I wouldn't mind if we spent up to £10m to get him and his wages were up to £60k a week. I think he could do a job here for at least 3 years, and it's not just his goals he has fantastic vision and passing as well. He would setup a load as well.

But past that fee and wages I'd start to think the deal was too expensive.

And that might be where we get to. At what point does he represent value ? Knowing this board, who remember are still burnt from h likes of Owen, Duff, Smith and Sol, investing in older players who have a pedegree is not something they are too willing to embrace. So I'm willing to bet that it's at a very low level.

I think though if the asking price was around the 5million mark and the wages were at the 60k level you talk about then there's some serious decisions to be made, and I would hope to god that we are willing to at the very least consider a move.

• 2 months later...