Neil Taylor signs new four-year contract with Swansea

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

Lee ryders twitter

nufc Neil Taylor asks Swansea for permission to talk to Newcastle United

lee_ryder Lee Ryder

#nufc Hearing Neil Taylor keen on move to Newcastle United, despite interest from #Everton

1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Probably knows he'll play second fiddle to Baines, whereas he'll be first choice here should Jose leave.

Guest Antec

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Swans-ante-cash-Taylor/story-12731688-detail/story.html

Swans up the ante over cash for Taylor

Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Profile image for South Wales Evening Post

South Wales Evening Post

Follow

SWANSEA City will demand well over £1 million before allowing Neil Taylor to join Newcastle United.

The Evening Post understands Taylor has asked Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins for permission to talk to the Tyneside club after they weighed in with a £1 million offer.

Taylor can expect to be handed a bumper five-year contract at St James' Park — but not before Swansea have given the nod for the deal to go ahead.

Reality

The Post has learned that contrary to reports, Taylor's Liberty Stadium contract does not include a clause which allows him to leave if a £1 million offer comes in.

The clause actually states that Taylor can speak to a club if they table a £1 million bid — but that does not mean Swansea have to sell.

The reality is that Swansea will almost certainly end up selling their left-back during the summer transfer window.

But they are determined to get more than £1 million for a player they had hoped would be part of their Premier League plans.

Brendan Rodgers is thought to be bitterly disappointed that Taylor is ready to quit Swansea less than a year after arriving from Conference side Wrexham.

And the Swansea boss will ask Newcastle to up their bid before giving the move the green light.

Developing

Taylor signed a three-year deal when he arrived from The Racecourse last summer.

He began the season on the fringes of Rodgers's team, but he seized his chance as a substitute at Norwich and went on to make 32 appearances in his debut season at the Liberty.

Rodgers believes Taylor is still developing, and that he would have benefited from the game-time he could have expected as a Swansea player next season.

As it is, the St Asaph-born defender will have to battle for a place at Newcastle, where first-choice left-back Jose Enrique is expected to depart this summer.

Enrique, regarded as one of the best in his position in the country, has been linked with the likes of Liverpool, Manchester United and Bayern Munich.

Whoever takes his place at the Toon will have big boots to fill. Rodgers, meantime, looks like having to turn his attentions to finding a new left-back to replace Taylor during the close season.

It is thought the Swansea boss already has at least two options in mind.

Taylor, who has also attracted interest from Everton according to his representative, is understood to have contacted Jenkins after the Newcastle bid came in on Monday to ask for permission to talk them.

The Welsh international is currently on holiday in Spain.

Why would you even bother with a clause like that? 'Right, £1m and you can talk to another club, but we just want to tease you, you won't be allowed to go'. It just gives ten times more chance of a club unsettling the player.

Guest SCJack

Might of been mentioned but does anyone reckon he looks like Jose here....

http://images.football365.com/11/02/240/taylor_2564600.jpg

Racist!

:lol:

As long as he's not Jose's replacement, the other Taylor (Ryan) leaves, then it'll be a decent bit of business.

Has to happen Taylor's are like the Sith...it's the rule of two. Is this lad any good like? Wasn't there a swan on here earlier at some point to shed some light?

He's ok. Played 30 games for us in his first season at Championship level. Not sure whether he'd make the step up though (that's not me being bitter or anything) He's still young and he nearly cost us in the play offs by getting sent off. He linked up well with Sinclair but took him a while to get used to the championship.

Guest SCJack

Didn't realise he was at Wrexham the season before that. Some rise through the leagues even if he isn't quite up to standard.

Yeah last season was his first season in the championship. A crazy step up for him - not sure whether he'd cut it in the prem (but he is still young).

Given he could be the third Taylor after Staylor and Raylor, has anyone made a joke about what this could Ntayl for our Taylor nicknames? "I***** T*****: The Swansea fullback would nail her"

Given he could be the third Taylor after Staylor and Raylor, has anyone made a joke about what this could Ntayl for our Taylor nicknames? "I***** T*****: The Swansea fullback would nail her"

:tumbleweed:

:idiot2:

Swansea boss Brendan Rodgers is waiting to hear back from Neil Taylor over his future after Newcastle made a £1million bid for the defender this week.

Rodgers says the Magpies' offer has triggered a clause in the 22-year-old left-back's contract, meaning he is free to talk to the club over a potential transfer.

But the manager insists Wales international Taylor is not guaranteed to make the move to St James' Park.

"Obviously it's something that has come out in the last few days with Neil," Rodgers told Sky Sports News.

"Newcastle have put a bid in, which gives him permission to talk to a club that puts in a million pound offer. It doesn't mean he goes for a million pounds.

"I've tried to ring Neil a few times and I haven't heard back from him yet so I'm just waiting on that."

Taylor made 30 league appearances last season - including 26 starts - as Swansea clinched promotion to the Premier League via the Championship play-offs.

Swans chairman Huw Jenkins confirmed Newcastle's interest earlier this week, but made it clear the Welsh club are reluctant to sell the highly-rated stopper.

Some rather more scathing quotes from Rodgers to the Swansea press.

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Rodgers-hits-Taylor-talks/story-12748502-detail/story.html

BRENDAN Rodgers has expressed frustration over the handling of Newcastle's bid for Neil Taylor and insisted: "I only want players who want to be here."

Taylor has asked for permission to speak to Alan Pardew after the Toon boss lodged a £1 million bid for the left-back.

And while Swansea will demand a bigger fee before agreeing to sell, the likelihood is that Taylor will leave for St James' Park this summer.

Rodgers is disappointed that the young defender wants to go just a year after arriving at the Liberty from Conference side Wrexham.

But he has stressed he is not interested in working with players who are not fully committed to the Swansea cause.

"What I will say is that there will be no player at this club who does not want to be here," Rodgers warned.

"If a player does decide that they want to speak to another club, they can go, simple as that.

"I only want players who want to play for Swansea City.

"We are in one of the greatest eras in this club's history.

"We are going through a wonderful journey which started last season and we are going into the most competitive league in the world, so we need to have people with

Guest icemanblue

This should have been wrapped up by now, what is it with us dragging out transfers.

:lol: Really, though?

I'm sure this must be sarcasm.