Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Lik

And? Why say what he did in May?

because he believed that Shearer would be giving the job? He only became disillusioned when things were going way too slow.

Like Duff and Bassong, he had a decent offer from a Premiership club and wanted to go. 90% of players would make the same decision in that situation.

Exactly.

People talk about the loyalty the players showed to us when we went down but how many of them would have stayed if they had the chance of a move to a Premiership team on similar wages in front of them?

I can't help but think that its a tad naive to assume the players just sat twiddling their thumbs hoping a club would make an offer for them. Agents are there to sound out interest and I find it hard to believe that someone with CL experience would have no suitors whatsoever. Same goes for a highly rated Spanish U21 left back. If there was interest in any player we'd of heard of it, no question. The fact we didn't suggest that perhaps they were loyal, to an extent at least.

So you presume people were interested but the reason we didn't hear about it is because they shot the interest down before it got to the club or papers?

Or perhaps that the players didn't seek out a move like they easily could have done?!

Colo and Jose struggled in our relegation season. They wouldn't have had many offers on the wages that they were on.

They both improved a fair bit during that year in the Championship.

No, sorry I just don't buy it, not only do I disagree about Jose being poor (Colo was) but I just don't buy into the idea that those 2 in particular with their calibre knew they weren't gonna get a better offer so didn't bother courting interest. Not hearing of any interest suggests that the agents didnt put the feelers out suggesting that perhaps they may have stayed out of loyalty.

What is your point exactly? We know players have agents but even the best agent won't get a s*** player into a good club.

Colo and Jose weren't "s***" players for a start. A point was made earlier that Colo and Jose stayed cos no one was interested in them which I found hard to believe due to their reputations. If they wanted to leave they easily could have, in my opinion they stayed out of loyalty.

I doubt very much any club would have offered Jose or Cole anywhere near the money they are on here

We did well getting rid of Habib Beye tbh. Loved his first season, but he was average second and has been a ghost at Villa.

Tbf to him, his second season was disrupted by injury. He still looked good whenever he played. Especially when he moved in the centre.

We did well getting rid of Habib Beye tbh. Loved his first season, but he was average second and has been a ghost at Villa.

Tbf to him, his second season was disrupted by injury. He still looked good whenever he played. Especially when he moved in the centre.

yep.

He didn't look good 'whenever' he played that season. True he looked good when in the middle but he looked so poor at right back that Steven Taylor was the clubs best right back that season.

Habib Beye was a great right back. Seems like we sold him just in time though.

He was ok, but he really p*ssed me off when he started sending himself off on purpose on friendlies prior to him leaving.

He was a very good right back to be honest, he got shit towards before leaving us, but so did the rest of the team.

Bloody loved Beye, hope he gets out of Villa and finishes his career at a club that'll actually appreciate him. Don't blame him at all for leaving considering how much a shambles thing were at that time. I did get the feeling he'd have rather stayed, but considering how bad we were at THAT game at Orient, as said can't say I blame him.

Bloody loved Beye, hope he gets out of Villa and finishes his career at a club that'll actually appreciate him. Don't blame him at all for leaving considering how much a shambles thing were at that time. I did get the feeling he'd have rather stayed, but considering how bad we were at THAT game at Orient, as said can't say I blame him.

His career already looks finished.

He;ll see out the final year of his contract at Villa on fat wages and ride off into the sunset.

He;ll see out the final year of his contract at Villa on fat wages and ride off into the sunset.

Sadly I think you may be right.  :sadnod:

Sadly I think you may be right.  :sadnod:

The only problem people have with Ba being our main striker is that he was free.

Or that his knee can be fucked up at any time and he may be out for a long time?

The only problem people have with Ba being our main striker is that he was free.

Bollocks. What a stupid thing to say.

Of course it is, his record spunks all over Gyan's but if we were to sign him for £13 million people would be over the moon.

Or that his knee can be fucked up at any time and he may be out for a long time?

Any player can be out for a long time, injuries happen in football.

When was the last time Ba was out for a considerable length of time due to injury?