Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Quite scary because at one point we were literally just kicking the ball towards him in hope he would turn it into a goal, fair play to him he almost did :lol:

His ability to just hold off a defender is phenomenal. He has great touch as it is, but there were a few times that he'd have been in on goal if hed just controlled it better. The defender on him had no chance.

Quite scary because at one point we were literally just kicking the ball towards him in hope he would turn it into a goal, fair play to him he almost did :lol:

His ability to just hold off a defender is phenomenal. He has great touch as it is, but there were a few times that he'd have been in on goal if hed just controlled it better. The defender on him had no chance.

He has impressed me beyond all measure.  If he stays fit he'll be a 20+ goals a season striker for 5 or more years.

This number 9 thing isn't healthy imo.

Some new signing comes in and gets the #9 and before he's kicked a ball he's being compared to players like Shearer and Cole, 2 of the best strikers to ever play in the Premier League.  Unnecessary pressure if you ask me.

This number 9 thing isn't healthy imo.

Some new signing comes in and gets the #9 and before he's kicked a ball he's being compared to players like Shearer and Cole, 2 of the best strikers to ever play in the Premier League.  Unnecessary pressure if you ask me.

Aye. Ba's already said he isn't bothered anyway so I don't really know why Pardew mentioned it.

Pardew said Ba said he wasn't bothered but in no way did Pardew think it would put any extra pressure on Demba, his reason was that he was not sure if the fans would accept it.

Giving it to Demba now I would see as a reward and if it was presented as such I see no reason why it would cause any problems.

I think Pardew's intention is quite clear. As long as the number 9 is not filled, fans will be expecting a big name to be bought in. Convert Ba to our number 9 (which he deserves) and hopefully we can get a mediocre cheapish second striker or better still none at all and fans would not be constantly reminded of this by the absence of the number 9. I'm serious, just a bit surprised that Dave and Mick have not picked up on this.