Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Newcastle United can confirm that Chelsea Football Club has made an official offer for Demba Ba which has triggered the release clause in the player's contract. The Club has given the player permission to speak to Chelsea FC and therefore he will not be included in the squad for tonight's game against Everton.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20130102/club-statement-demba-ba_2281670_3024928

I'll still be hoping he fails a medical and we hold on to him, looks like he is off though.

Just have to hope he is suitably replaced but given that we'll be down on net spend after this & Debuchy goes through I'll not be surprised if we make do 'til pre-season.

Super thup to disco.

The guy scores goals for fun and yet people have somehow got to the stage where they think its a great idea that he leaves.

Puppets to the fat man, all of you.

It's not a great idea, but it's inevitable that he was going to. Best to get the deal done early so we've got the rest of the month to pretend we're looking for his replacement rather than get to the end of January and say "well we didn't have time to get one in".

Guest firetotheworks

I don't want him to go at all, but since the release clause stuff came out, I've felt like the writing was on the wall. I'm not happy that he's going, but I'm happy that the circus is leaving town.

After Carroll and Enrique leaving, this doesn't bother me perhaps as much as it ought to.

Oh well, i suppose a couple of good things can come from this, Cisse is the main man now, we can get someone in who can play in and round cisse to help him.

The only thing is we have lost a proven goal scorer.  Hard to replace.

For the love of god, Pardew, please do not play Shola Ameobi up front.

Oh you know its gonna happen :lol:

I tried to forget he was still here. At least we do have Cisse to hopefully fill in the gap until we can sign a replacement.

Oh well, i suppose a couple of good things can come from this, Cisse is the main man now, we can get someone in who can play in and round cisse to help him.

to play the way the majority think we ought to play ie 1 up front with support from behind, we have a proven goalscorer . (need another in incase of injury and for more options though).

Also the lack of ambition shown by the club in the summer might not have helped things in convincing him we can meet his career aspirations medium term.

I would laugh my arse off if we sold Ba and then went and signed Debuchy, Remy and a CB.

Wouldn't be the first time we had done it either, when Enrique left and accused us of lacking ambition we signed Ba, Marveaux, Obertan, Santon, Cabaye etc etc.

Seems we have to sell players before we start getting off our arse :lol:

I don't want to lose Demba but we can still come out of this stronger if we make the right signings in the window.

Ashley's blue print is to buy players cheap and sell for a profit so players will use us in the same way.  They are signing for us as relatively unknowns with something to prove and putting themselves in the shop window and if bigger clubs come calling then they will move on.

The only way that will change will be if we start to win things and pay competitive wages and neither are likely to happen.

Not totally true on two fronts.

First - His blueprint is for the club to be self sufficient, if a players cost fits within the clubs affordability he’ll be bought irrespective of fee. The other “condition” is that he has resale value, that does not have to be more than he was bought for, just more than his value “on the books” at the time of sale (due to amortisation).

Second – “competitive wages” are paid already (daft wages are not) and will continue to be so, so long as it fits with the % of turnover for wages that’s been laid down.

It really is quite simple, players will be bought if it fits the model. If they don’t they won’t.

In hindsight, he made a mistake in the summer, there was a case for a little speculate to accumulate, especially given the explosion in PL dosh next season. Hopefully he’s learned from that, but it doesn’t need a daft or never ending splash of cash.

In fact if we hadn’t had so many injuries (way more than you could possibly reasonably expect) the apparent summer non-spend likely wouldn’t have been a factor.

:thup: :clap:

And you're not the only club operating on that basis at the moment, we are trying (after having been at the other end of the scale), and I'd have thought a club like Spurs, who always seem to manage to lose their best players, but replace them well, and also to move on fringe players at the top of their value, are an even better example.

to play the way the majority think we ought to play ie 1 up front with support from behind, we have a proven goalscorer . (need another in incase of injury and for more options though).

That's why the talk of Odermwengie and Remy. Just need to make sure we get one of them in. It would be nice to get both but that's not going to happen.

Guest andrew

I'm assuming this is what Sammy was referring to anyway...

@Sammy_Ameobi: Uh oh

:undecided:

Got to wonder what some of the bigger pros are going to think- the likes of Krul, Colo, Ben Arfa, Cabaye.

Well, we are losing a brilliant striker and definitely one of the best in the league :(

For the love of god, Pardew, please do not play Shola Ameobi up front.

We have been playing with 5 in midfield for weeks now i think Pardew has cemented on the system he wants to use and now Demba is leaving Cisse will be through the middle unless injuries prevent otherwise.

We have not used 4-4-2 in weeks not concerned about that at all.

If this clause wasn't in his contract, we wouldn't be seeing this, obviously. I'd love demba to stay, but it was painfully obvious to anyone who knows football that Demba and Cisse were not made to play together. One of them would probably have to leave.

At least now we can keep the one that doesn't have the clause in his contract.

Cheers for all the goals, Demba. :thup:

To be fair Cisse is a proven goal scorer.

If this clause wasn't in his contract, we wouldn't be seeing this, obviously. I'd love demba to stay, but it was painfully obvious to anyone who knows football that Demba and Cisse were not made to play together. One of them would probably have to leave.

At least now we can keep the one that doesn't have the clause in his contract.

Cheers for all the goals, Demba. :thup:

if the clause hadn't been in his contract he probably wouldn't have been nere to start with.

Guest tollemache

Ashley's blue print is to buy players cheap and sell for a profit so players will use us in the same way.  They are signing for us as relatively unknowns with something to prove and putting themselves in the shop window and if bigger clubs come calling then they will move on.

The only way that will change will be if we start to win things and pay competitive wages and neither are likely to happen.

Not totally true on two fronts.

First - His blueprint is for the club to be self sufficient, if a players cost fits within the clubs affordability he’ll be bought irrespective of fee. The other “condition” is that he has resale value, that does not have to be more than he was bought for, just more than his value “on the books” at the time of sale (due to amortisation).

Second – “competitive wages” are paid already (daft wages are not) and will continue to be so, so long as it fits with the % of turnover for wages that’s been laid down.

It really is quite simple, players will be bought if it fits the model. If they don’t they won’t.

In hindsight, he made a mistake in the summer, there was a case for a little speculate to accumulate, especially given the explosion in PL dosh next season. Hopefully he’s learned from that, but it doesn’t need a daft or never ending splash of cash.

In fact if we hadn’t had so many injuries (way more than you could possibly reasonably expect) the apparent summer non-spend likely wouldn’t have been a factor.