Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

If the clause relates solely to relegation then I don't know why we wouldn't come out and confirm it in some way, to stop all these rumours. It's not like we're going to go down, and it would be no surprise to anyone that contingencies will be in place; particularly for a player that's had one before.

If that is the case then there's nothing to worry about. If not however then all we can hope is Demba is happy with life here and wants to see how far he can take us.

This also depends on the owners current ambition, so signing a striker to compliment him should be top of the priority list.

However I feel Ashley will see this as an ideal situation for a bidding war between clubs and see how much he can get for a free transfer. Wouldn't be surprised if he put Redknapp upto this in the first place.

Can't see how Ashley can start a bidding war tbh, there must be half a dozen clubs who are willing to pay the £5m release fee or whatever it is.  The only issue is which club will offer Ba the best personal terms.  A new contract offer from Newcastle may well keep him, maybe someone else will sign him.  Personally, I think he will wind up with Liverpool because of the likeliest contenders they will offer him the most.

Since the Bosman ruling came into effect, power in football shifted dramatically into the hands of the players and their agents. Ba is a prime example. It is true that his knees were a sticking point for any club that was trying to sign him, but I'm fairly certain that any club would have taken the chance on him, given the free transfer.

What we don't know is how badly Pardew/Carr/Directors wanted Ba. Did they see him as a cheap option, and were still determined to bring in another forward (Erding/Maiga), or was he really the man they wanted to lead the line, and could see his real potential. For all we know, his form at West Ham was a purple patch, and he could've gone on to post mere average numbers in terms of goals and appearances for us. I reckon the contract he was offered here directly reflects how badly we wanted him here, and the vision that Pardew/Carr had for him at this club with this squad of players. Was he just another body, or was he going to be the main man (Carroll's replacement).

If the club really knew what they were signing, I would find it difficult to believe such a low trigger clause exists. However, if he was signed as a cheap squad option, then I would find it quite plausible that such a clause does exist in his contract, especially if he is on a pay as you play deal, with an option to ditch should the knees become a major problem.

IMO the key is in how we planned to use him from the off. Did he just take everyone by surprise, including his own bosses, with his current form? or was he well scouted, and the club knew exactly what they were doing signing him?

Guest Stephen927

Journos ask Redknapp questions like this knowing he isn't coy at all. It's been a quiet start to the window, they're trying to ruffle some feathers.

Since the Bosman ruling came into effect, power in football shifted dramatically into the hands of the players and their agents. Ba is a prime example. It is true that his knees were a sticking point for any club that was trying to sign him, but I'm fairly certain that any club would have taken the chance on him, given the free transfer.

What we don't know is how badly Pardew/Carr/Directors wanted Ba. Did they see him as a cheap option, and were still determined to bring in another forward (Erding/Maiga), or was he really the man they wanted to lead the line, and could see his real potential. For all we know, his form at West Ham was a purple patch, and he could've gone on to post mere average numbers in terms of goals and appearances for us. I reckon the contract he was offered here directly reflects how badly we wanted him here, and the vision that Pardew/Carr had for him at this club with this squad of players. Was he just another body, or was he going to be the main man (Carroll's replacement).

If the club really knew what they were signing, I would find it difficult to believe such a low trigger clause exists. However, if he was signed as a cheap squad option, then I would find it quite plausible that such a clause does exist in his contract, especially if he is on a pay as you play deal, with an option to ditch should the knees become a major problem.

IMO the key is in how we planned to use him from the off. Did he just take everyone by surprise, including his own bosses, with his current form? or was he well scouted, and the club knew exactly what they were doing signing him?

Good points and in there lies the crux.

I for one rated him very highly based on the quality he showed at Hoffenheim and West Ham. He had options in the summer and we will have had to offer competitive wages etc.

That said I don't think anyone could have envisaged the impact he would make in half a season so the rumours and rubbish in the press are probably to be expected.Sadly.

He's a Newcastle player, he likes it here, so we're in the driving seat. We probably need to renegociate his contract like we did when Tiote caught everyone by surprise.

Guest Roger Kint

Why the fuck would we agree to a contract like this in the first place? Doesn't sound like something Llambias and the fat bastard would do.

If true its clearly a condition from Demba's agent rather than anything Ashley could do. The club would have two options, accept their demands or not sign him. Thank God they agreed tbh as we would no doubt have ended up worse off, now they should look to get a new contract sorted and remove it.

Luke Edwards @LukeEdwardsTele 1m  Reply  Retweet  Favorite · Open

#nufc shd brace themselves for Ba going, if not now, then the summer. Fact a release clause negotiated shows never likely to be most loyal!

If the clause relates solely to relegation then I don't know why we wouldn't come out and confirm it in some way, to stop all these rumours. It's not like we're going to go down, and it would be no surprise to anyone that contingencies will be in place; particularly for a player that's had one before.

...then we set a precedent for having to confirm/deny every story that the press release, so when we don't bother to respond, NUFC message boards go into meltdown.

Ba admits interest in joining PSG

ESPN staff

January 9, 201

Newcastle United striker Demba Ba has admitted that a move to French side Paris St Germain would be "enticing".

Speculation surrounding the in-form forward has escalated in recent days, after Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp revealed that there is a release clause in the 26-year-old's contract that seemingly allows him to leave St James' Park for a bid of less than £7m.

Clubs including Liverpool and Everton have been tipped for a January bid as a result, but Ba - who was born and raised in France - has now revealed he would be interested in joining PSG, the Qatari-owned club he supported as a boy.

However, Ba fears his involvement in the African Cup of Nations this month with Senegal will make completing a transfer very difficult.

"Yes, why not? It's possible. I have always supported PSG, and it's a club that is enticing," Ba told French radio station RMC, when asked about moving to the French side. "But it will be difficult to do that in January.

"I'm in Newcastle, fans like me, and then the transfer market will be closed when I go back, so I'm not focused on it.

"My first goal is the [African Cup of Nations], and getting a good result, then I want to continue playing good games for Newcastle."

Ba has been an instrumental figure for the Magpies so far this season, scoring 15 goals in 19 Premier League appearances.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/129988.html

It's the exact same quotes.

Also, Luke Edwards now dooming and glooming on Twitter. I don't think Ba will leave us in January, it would make no sense. The worrying part is that we should renegotiate his contract for the summer, as we can probably get a lot more money for him than we are on course to get right now.

:'( bye bye

Shut the fuck up with this bullshit, man.

:thup:

Demba say himself that he is happy here, he want to finish what he started.

Tempt him with a good contract without a release clause, and he will stay.

TBH i am not that worried about Demba in this transfer window.

a) the way things are going, why would he join us? That said, we'd guarantee him first-team football every second of every match ever. I say team, it'd just be him.

b) Us bid. :lol: :lol:

Liverpool is a different story.

What I struggle with is what Redknapp seeks to gain from the slip. For £7m, there would be better teams available to Ba than Spurs.

I would say he's trying to get one of the big clubs to come in and whisk him away, getting rid of one of his team's league rivals top scorer or at worst (from his point of view) unsettle him and try and knock us off track that way.

The FA should have hit this odious droopy faced tax dodging cunt years ago for consistently talking about other teams players in terms of transfers.

What I struggle with is what Redknapp seeks to gain from the slip. For £7m, there would be better teams available to Ba than Spurs.

I would say he's trying to get one of the big clubs to come in and whisk him away, getting rid of one of his team's league rivals top scorer or at worst (from his point of view) unsettle him and try and knock us off track that way.

Why would he bother though? They're in a title battle, we are not. Surely he has more to lose if Man United or Liverpool sign him than if he stayed at our gaff.

Shut the f*** up with this bullshit, man.

Footballer gives iinterview during which he alludes to playing for boyhood heroes before stating he is happy at present club.

Press run big headlines on first part while ignoring the second.

Quelle surprise !

Why would he bother though? They're in a title battle, we are not. Surely he has more to lose if Man United or Liverpool sign him than if he stayed at our gaff.

Covering the bases - they are not going to win the title and if they have a mid season dip then it will be easier for them if we we're not still hanging around so close to the top 6.

Guest pintofscottsellers

Redknapps a right prick like. If we have any intent on selling Demba, ad rather we just done it and got it over and done with, none of this deadline day shite. Can see him staying in this window though tbh

Guest Chubby Jason

Shut the f*** up with this bullshit, man.

I have to say that I agree with this. If he does go we might finally see Smith played upfront  :memelol:

Am i the only one who thinks this clause is only activated if relegated. I mean, why the fuck else would saggy cunt face discuss it? Be quite stupid, so he is talking about it since we wont get relegated and is just being annoying as fuck.