Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

perhaps the clause does exist, but has a specific time frame, ie, he can leave in  the summer but not half way through his first season?  i totally go along with those who say redknapp gains nothing - directly - from piping up, so maybe its s*** stirring and keeping his friends at at sky happy by making news for them on the weekend espn have all the footy?  if the story lasts until the prem games are being played, maybe not, but for now this is giving sky sports news exactly what they want, when they want it?

To be fair. SSN  played it down well earlier suggesting Ba wants to stay.

and there they have what they want though, yes?  demba ba hasnt played any football this weekend, yet he's headline news and everyone wants to know whats going on - and that includes fans of clubs who think 'wow, 5m? are WE in for him??'.  its called creating a spectacle, and its what sky are best at.  they have no goals/action to show this week, so this kind of thing pops up.  look how ridiculous the coveraqe of deadline day has become, its what a 'sports news' channel does, isnt it? 

or, i'm clutching at straws, which is also very possible..

At the very least, I'm disgusted by Redknapp's comments. Clearly not in for the player so he's nothing but a shit-stirring cunt. Honestly, this sport at times. You can be penalised for celebrating a goal, but this sort of utter shit goes unpunished.

If there is a clause in his contract, other football clubs will know about it already regardless of whether Redknapp had said anything.  However, what Redknapp has done is to increase the media speculation which will continue until the transfer window closes.

With regards to why no clubs have come in for Ba as yet, they will wait until towards the end of the transfer window as they will not want to pay wages for a player who will not play for them until next month.  Maybe that was why Pardew said that they would not entertain late offers for any of the players although I think that was probably said more in relation to Tiote.

Also players often struggle to adapt back to the Premier League when they come back from the ACoN so if they buy a player whose country reaches the final in mid February, they might find it takes them some time to find their form again so unless they are desperate, it would make more sense to wait until the Summer when the player is likely to be cheaper (although that wouldn't apply to Ba if the release clause is quite low).

Ba may well be motivated by money but he came into the game late and we are led to believe that his career could be over at anytime so in this case, it is understandable.

Demba leaving would be horrible BUT it would be much worse to see him join another Prem side, especially Spurs or Liverpool

BUT here's hoping if this clause exists that we are doing our utmost to get him to sign a new contract and remove this shit

Aye, if he has to go I hope PSG or one of the top teams in the other leagues snipe him away from the likes of Spurs. Crazy if the clause is so low though. You would've thought we had almost all the power in the transfer considering his knee is fucked and he didn't seem to have a plethora of options.

Strange move.

At the very least, I'm disgusted by Redknapp's comments. Clearly not in for the player so he's nothing but a s***-stirring c***. Honestly, this sport at times. You can be penalised for celebrating a goal, but this sort of utter s*** goes unpunished.

Wasn't it in response to a question from a journalist specifically saying "Did you know about Ba's release clause?" or something along those lines? Not that that excuses him from responding, or doesn't mean that he wasn't in cahoots with the journalist, but this always seems to be the way. Someone asks him a direct question and he can't help himself. I wish he'd shut up, but I genuinely believe that he hasn't always got an agenda. Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't - some of his comments over Modric were ill-considered and could only have been counter-productive. Levy was livid with him.

Guest zicomartin

My guess is that 7 Million would be the 'first option or buyout' price to sign the player whilst he is under contract to NUFC.

Meaning that if anyone else offers 7M+, NUFC would have first option to match that offer to keep him.

This would effectively blow our transfer budget in this window on a player we already own.

Both Spurs & West Ham would have plenty to gain from this situation.

Guest VaVaVoom

My guess is that 7 Million would be the 'first option or buyout' price to sign the player whilst he is under contract to NUFC.

Meaning that if anyone else offers 7M+, NUFC would have first option to match that offer to keep him.

This would effectively blow our transfer budget in this window on a player we already own.

Eh? Who would we pay the 7mil to like?

What?

With free signings of good players, they choose you, not you choose them. Basically we'll have to pay the going rate to keep him. Spurs aren't a mega wages club, so Twitchyface can say what he likes but they won't be in pole position. It just shows once again that he is a slimy hypocrite playing the media for what he can.

What happened with that lad (Forest was it?) where we said there was an escape clause but they said it didn't mean they had to sell?

With free signings of good players, they choose you, not you choose them. Basically we'll have to pay the going rate to keep him. Spurs aren't a mega wages club, so Twitchyface can say what he likes but they won't be in pole position. It just shows once again that he is a slimy hypocrite playing the media for what he can.

What happened with that lad (Forest was it?) where we said there was an escape clause but they said it didn't mean they had to sell?

You mean Neil Taylor (Swansea)?

Guest VaVaVoom

You mean Neil Taylor (Swansea)?

Thats what i was thinkin of too...

Guest zicomartin

Not really, just means the player/agent gets the 7m bonus and he stays at NUFC on his current contract or we sell for 7M.

Our choice, not his.

Guest zicomartin

Of course, Harry will mention it on Sky Sports and Kenny Dalglish will fax in a bid immediately which will cost us 7M quid to refuse.

I did say it was just a guess, you are free to come up with a more logical one.

If such a clause did exist, I envisage that Ashley will look to offer a new contract to remove it.

As it stands, Ba has performed even better than Carroll did in his first PL season as first choice. Leaving for less than 7m would be an absolute farce and Ashley would recognise that he could get a greater sum of money if he did decide to sell.

Guest zicomartin

He is on a 3 year deal, so 7M is a decent but not obscene (in premier league terms) pay increase spread over 3 years.

Guest optimistic nit

Number 9 and a 5 year contract is what I think will happen.

Ba doesn't want #9 and we wouldn't give him a five year contract. :laugh:

You think all our other five year contract were made for them to run out? All about value.

Far too much risk given his knee.

When we lose smith at the end of the season there's 60K of 'doing fuck all' wages up for grabs that could be given his way if neccissary. Anyway its perfectly possible to give a long term contract that still makes provisions for a scenario where his knee goes.