Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Pardew said: “Demba wants to play in a central role.

“He wants to get himself chances to score goals.

“And I think that in 90% of the games next year that’s where he will play.”

But Dave, did Demba tell you this personally? Otherwise it doesn't count.

:undecided: not sure how I feel about those quotes. We clearly played our best stuff in a 4-3-3 last year, however I guess I can only trust Pardew and wait and see

Aye same here. Mental if we don't use 4-3-3 after the success we had with it last season.

Pardew said: “Demba wants to play in a central role.

“He wants to get himself chances to score goals.

“And I think that in 90% of the games next year that’s where he will play.”

It all sounds a bit odd. Pardew does seem to get into these games where he's publicly appeasing a player. Whether it reflects what he's really thinking is something else. It reminds me a bit of how he handled Barton with some big charm offensive. Or rather tried to handle him.

If Pardew thinks the team is better with Ba down the middle, then why portray it as Ba's wishes? If he doesn't think that, why pander to the player?

The danger is he's going to end up looking two-faced (which Nolan hinted at) or these attempts at pleasing everyone will end up pleasing no-one. It's the one real doubt I have about his management style.

Personally I think Ba should get the message that he'll play where he's picked or he can piss off.

The 4-3-3 could work with both up front if we had Hatem behind them, so it'd be a 4-3-1-2. The 3 upfront could still drift and roam loads with any of them finding themselves out on the wing at times, with both Ba and Cisse being played in central striking roles.

Said many times last season that he can play as the middle of the three in a 4-2-3-1, which we played many times. No problem. I do agree the he should play where's picked though. Pardew's earned some trust so I'm happy to let him get on with it and not fret too much.

Ba is rather effective in the hole imo - that is, playing from deep. The Cissé-Ba partnership hasn't really clicked as such but it will happen for them imho. Their games may be similar but Ba is different in that he can play in a somewhat non-advanced forward role. Cissé and Ba just have to learn about each other's game and interchange roles when need be.

I reckon a formation along the lines of a 4-4-1-1 could work (with Ben Arfa having a free role from the left/right wing). But, in any case, the formation Pardew lines up with will be very dependent on the opposition. If it's a lower mid-table team, then I think we might see the return of the 4-3-3.

Thing is, i think we could go 4-3-1-2 if we have Santon and Debuchy to give some width, and go with HBA behind Ba and Cisse.

Definitely, it wouldn't work with Simpson because he offers so little going forward. The little I've seen of Debuchy at the Euros he looked comfortable on the ball and keen the get forward, both would be key for the formation to work.

I do fear that Pards has decided to revert to a 4-4-2 primarily next year. The pursuit of Carroll is pretty indicative IMO, and these comments don't sound encouraging.

Think we'll need another CM if that's what we're at, unless we're confident that Amalfitano is able for the first team or that Abeid is ready to step up.

HBA needs to be wide, Cisse is absolutely brilliant as a focal point and Ba naturally plays a more withdrawn role. The solution is very, very simple.

Wide in a traditional winger sense doesn't really suit him though, which is how I imagine it'd be in a 4-2-3-1. The freeish role in a fluid front free is where he was at his best, coming inside when he wanted, straying out wide when he wanted. If we played him wide with Ba in the hole I'm worried he'd be too restricted to really do what he does best.

I do fear that Pards has decided to revert to a 4-4-2 primarily next year. The pursuit of Carroll is pretty indicative IMO, and these comments don't sound encouraging.

Totally agree, De Jong before Carroll n all is very much a central striker despite all the posturing that he could be a square peg out wide. I'm not overly fussed if we play a bit of 4-4-2(1-1) next season, always good to vary it up.

HBA needs to be wide, Cisse is absolutely brilliant as a focal point and Ba naturally plays a more withdrawn role. The solution is very, very simple.

Wide in a traditional winger sense doesn't really suit him though, which is how I imagine it'd be in a 4-2-3-1. The freeish role in a fluid front free is where he was at his best, coming inside when he wanted, straying out wide when he wanted. If we played him wide with Ba in the hole I'm worried he'd be too restricted to really do what he does best.

I don't really see wide in a 3 as a traditional winger. He played in that position in all of his best performances last season. It's far from perfect, Cabaye isn't utilised fully for a start, but if Ba HAS to play in the middle then it's what we'll see I think. I know that Pardew's fond of 4-4-2 but I'm not sure if he'd ditch our best formation, after all he did prove last season that he's a good manager.

I can sort of seeing pards trying a 4-4-2 diamond thing with a narrow midfield to try and allow for 2 up front but with a packed midfield, but that think, with Ben Arfa at top given a free role.

could be simpler than that, not needing to play a set formation when attacking, if debuchy comes in then it should stop ben arfa having to rigidly stay wide, ba and cisse playing nominally centrally but also pulling onto the channels for space, when attacking we could have almost a 2-1-7(2 of the 7 very wide) with the 7 being very mobile and interchanging.

Have to say in a way it's the hoofing that;s the problem not neccessarily the midfield, with Debuchey if we get him at least should improve passing on that flank considerably and we'll look better. Still think got rather taken apart at times by teams with packed midfields, Wigan most extreme example in second half of season.