Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

The Mag are saying that in the press conference they found out the clause is active for Demba's entire contract BUT Pards 100% said in the summer that there was only one more window where the clause was active, was a TV maybe NUFCTV interview where I seen him say this.

Demba Ba transfer talk ‘annoys’ players

by Mark Douglas, The JournalDec 21 2012

Read more: Journal Live http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/12/21/demba-ba-transfer-talk-annoys-players-61634-32471088/#ixzz2FfqqpFF1

If he feels the players are finding it “annoying”, why are they going to read about it in the Journal again today? 

Guest hatem garrincha

What I have translated with my very bad english and all the Journal story (2 days later) was the exact words pronounced by Demba Ba.

The total bollocks is the "misquoting/lost in translation" comedy. 

Demba Ba transfer talk ‘annoys’ players

by Mark Douglas, The JournalDec 21 2012

Read more: Journal Live http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/12/21/demba-ba-transfer-talk-annoys-players-61634-32471088/#ixzz2FfqqpFF1

If he feels the players are finding it “annoying”, why are they going to read about it in the Journal again today? 

It defies belief. :lol:

Regardless of the content of the interview or how it's been translated, it's been reported as 'unauthorised'. In that case, why has Pardew decided against fining him? There can't be one law for one player and another for the rest.

This reminds me so much of how Pardew handled the Barton issue, where he was saying he had 'no problem' with a player who was making all sorts of critical remarks about the club. There are times when you have to put your foot down and take the consequences.

The whole Ba thing should have been sorted out one way or the other in the summer.

He doesn't say anything wrong in those quotes, he doesn't even directly say it bothers the players. People will complain about absolutely anything.

annoying

adjective irritating, boring, disturbing, provoking, teasing, harassing, aggravating, troublesome, galling, maddening, exasperating, displeasing, bedevilling, peeving (informal), irksome, bothersome, vexatious

bothersome

adjective troublesome, trying, demanding, difficult, distressing, annoying, irritating, aggravating, galling, exasperating, tiresome, inconvenient, vexing, irksome, vexatious

Regardless of the content of the interview or how it's been translated, it's been reported as 'unauthorised'. In that case, why has Pardew decided against fining him? There can't be one law for one player and another for the rest.

This reminds me so much of how Pardew handled the Barton issue, where he was saying he had 'no problem' with a player who was making all sorts of critical remarks about the club. There are times when you have to put your foot down and take the consequences.

The whole Ba thing should have been sorted out one way or the other in the summer.

Fining Ba isn't going to help us keep him, he's right not to fine him.

Probably because he said nothing of note.

That is sooooooooooooo not the point. The rule is there for a reason and if Ba is allowed to ignore it with impunity, how can the club enforce it with the other players?

Fining Ba isn't going to help us keep him, he's right not to fine him.

Unfortunately the desire to keep Ba happy has played a major part in Pardew's thinking over the last few months, and the team has suffered for it.

That is sooooooooooooo not the point. The rule is there for a reason and if Ba is allowed to ignore it with impunity, how can the club enforce it with the other players?

It's not a rule, it's a procedural thing that they'd rather the players followed before giving any quotes to the press. Probably just notifying them. There's one at my work, and probably every company worth its salt. If he'd said something out of order then I'm sure they'd have fined him, but he didn't.

Seeing as many people are making wild hypotheses based on fragments of information, I thought I might get on board: Pardew wants shot of Ba.

* Not because he is a bad player, because he clearly is a good player who is banging in all of our goals.

* Not because he wants to make money for Ashley, because 3.75m is copper coins these days, and a replacement will cost 2-3 times that.

* Not because he thinks his knees will give out, because I have no doubt that there is either insurance or a get-out clause in case of a career-ending injury.

* I believe Pardew wants rid of Ba because he likes Cisse (as a player) better, and has come to realise what many of us can see: that Ba and Cisse don't work.

* I believe Pardew wants rid of Ba because Ba's incentivised contract is proving detrimental to the team: at the start of 2011-12 he was banging them in and all was well. When Cisse came, Ba stopped scoring, got the strop, extracted a promise from Pardew to play in the middle in the summer and the team has suffered since.

* I believe Pardew wants rid of Ba because he has done a simple cost-benefit equation and decided Ba out the door is better than Ba in the squad - he can buy a striker who better fits the balance of the team and he removes the media circus (and I agree Pardew is actively fueling this, but not him alone)

* I believe Ashley/Llambias want rid of Ba because that incentivised contract with assorted clauses is an anathema to their concept of how contracts and transfers should work

Maybe...

It's not a rule, it's a procedural thing that they'd rather the players followed before giving any quotes to the press. Probably just notifying them. There's one at my work, and probably every company worth its salt. If he'd said something out of order then I'm sure they'd have fined him, but he didn't.

Aye. Pardew said "there was 1 procedural matter where he should have informed the club but that's neither here nor there".

Unfortunately the desire to keep Ba happy has played a major part in Pardew's thinking over the last few months, and the team has suffered for it.

I don't agree with what has happened regarding the way we've played for much of this season but Ba doesn’t pick the team.  I think Ba is a very good and important player who we appear to want to keep, rightly.  If that is the case then giving him a fine isn't going to help and I also remember where the contract clause coming out came from.  It would be massively hypocritical if Ba was fined for talking about the clause or our style of play.  Maybe he has broken a club rule by not getting permission to talk to the press.  I don’t agree with gagging people either so I don’t personally have a problem with him or any other player doing an interview, with or without the permission of the club.

If he’d slagged the club off then that would make a difference, him having a go at the way we’ve played is no different to Ben Arfa last season who wasn’t fined, or Cabaye in the same interview who wasn’t fined and whose comments seem to have been swept under the carpet.

Pardew's probably desperate to keep Ba happy because of how he was let down by the club regarding recruitments in the past. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/14850990

A sack of money doesn't score many goals.

If that is in response to my post, I would reply that my belief that Pardew is actively trying to peddle Ba is predicated on him being promised by MA/DL that he would be replaced.

Given his recent tactical shenanigans, it's not unreasonable to think he is as thick as pig shit and believes their assurances OR is such a snake oil merchant that he's willing to buy MA/DL's illusion and then on-sell it to us.

Maybe...