Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Guest alijmitchell

I for one am breathing a bit of a sigh of relief. Not that I enjoy seeing quality players leave, but I do believe that something has got to give this season in terms of set up. For me it has been blindingly obvious that we've been playing to his strengths to the detriment of the team overall. Added to that it seems like this will he won't he go saga has been dragging on since fuck knows when, I'm just glad it'll be settled either way. We've basically played the whole first half of this season as a team in transition, and I hope things will get better with a bit of stability around the side. There is no point in getting stressed about the position we may find ourselves in. It isn't like we've been shit hot so far with him in the team. It is a gamble, but I think it is the right decision to let him go.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'm glad the club stuck to their guns

3 year deal on 80k a week is a 12 million outlay on someone who is uninsurable!

Oh for arguments sake Remy... 10m transfer fee plus 30K a week over 5 years... you do the maths.

As for uninsurable... how the f*** do you know that?

Forgot to say we may actually get someone committed to the cause

As for the uninsurable part, why would we get him on an incentivised contract based on appearances if there wasn't something amiss

Committed to the cause? The man has giving nothing but his all every time he has played for us. He's as committed to us as anyone. If only the club were as committed to him we wouldn't even be having this debate because I strongly believe he'd rather stay here than leave. He's not daft though, he knows he's worth far more than what he's currently on. The club are daft though because they obviously don't and this is why we are on the verge of losing our top goalscorer and key player. God knows what it will cost to replace him, no doubt a lot more than it would cost to keep him

Oh, and there is no way there isn't some kind of insurance policy for Ba in place, regardless of his so-called dodgy knee. He did, after all, pass a medical....

Guest Howaythetoon

I reckon he would have loved to have stayed here long term but we will not and never will pay the going rate in terms of transfer fee or wages so as long as these c***s are in charge . Meaning we will always see our better players leave. These c***s are penny pincher's in the extreme. Great if you are running a f***ing sports retail shop, but a football club where sometimes just sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate?

The sad thing is, we will probably have to spend in excess of £10m to replace Ba plus wages and even then that will not guarantee a player of his calibre nor the goals return he brought. Why not just allocate that kind of money towards Ba's wages?!

Regardless, its a futile thing because we have an owner and an MD who has no clue whatsoever about football and a manager who isn't far behind.

Ba will not be the last top player to leave us.

Most clubs are moving towards the type of wage structure we've got now, other than those with foreign sugar daddies who will pick up the tab. The ones that don't are a ticking time bomb IMO. Maybe we could pay more, but to suggest that we just allocate £10m to Ba's wages to keep him here is just daftness of Freddy Shepherd proportions. Don't really want to go down the finances road in this thread but come on.

I tend to agree but this is where football nous comes into it. To us, someone like Ba is worth 80K a week because his goals alone, will help to A) keep us in the league and B) give us a platform to aim higher up. Its about weighing up how much it would cost to replace him in terms of a fee and how much that player would then cost in wages. The obvious answer would be to keep Ba. Obviously if he's asking for 120K a week then you have to say no but I seriously doubt he wants anywhere near that. We all know how stubborn the c***s are who own and run us, to them the difference between 75K and 80K is astronomical. We failed to land several players in the summer based on margins of 1m or so apparently man.

You give Ba £80k a week then Coloccini, Tiote, Cabaye, Ben Arfa etc will want parity.

We have a wage structure in place for a reason.

And all worth it.

The alternative is seeing them leave which would leave us where?

The club can afford these wages, especially when we are shelling out so little in transfer fees these days. We will not pay top dollar though, because to MA these stars are just employees, like his staff at SD.

Fair enough do not pay your Duffs, smiths and Owens top dollars but star players like Ba whose goals alone will bring in more revenue than it costs to keep him here?!

Ashley and business economics is first rate, Ashley and football economics is well, second-rate, which is the kind of club we are under him and always will be.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Oh for arguments sake Remy... 10m transfer fee plus 30K a week over 5 years... you do the maths.

As for the uninsurable part, why would we get him on an incentivised contract based on appearances if there wasn't something amiss

Committed to the cause? The man has giving nothing but his all every time he has played for us. He's as committed to us as anyone. If only the club were as committed to him we wouldn't even be having this debate because I strongly believe he'd rather stay here than leave. He's not daft though, he knows he's worth far more than what he's currently on. The club are daft though because they obviously don't and this is why we are on the verge of losing our top goalscorer and key player. God knows what it will cost to replace him, no doubt a lot more than it would cost to keep him

Oh, and there is no way there isn't some kind of insurance policy for Ba in place, regardless of his so-called dodgy knee. He did, after all, pass a medical....

Ok let's look at it like this...

This is a man who kicked up a fuss last season because Cisse was getting all of the plaudits. If he'd have stayed on the left (which would have been best for the TEAM) he would never have got a move to Chelsea based on his goal return at the end of last season from that position. As an individual player he is undoubtably talented but as a team player and human being he is all that's wrong with modern football. Fuck him, fuck his agents and I hope he fails miserably

I reckon he would have loved to have stayed here long term but we will not and never will pay the going rate in terms of transfer fee or wages so as long as these c***s are in charge . Meaning we will always see our better players leave. These c***s are penny pincher's in the extreme. Great if you are running a f***ing sports retail shop, but a football club where sometimes just sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate?

The sad thing is, we will probably have to spend in excess of £10m to replace Ba plus wages and even then that will not guarantee a player of his calibre nor the goals return he brought. Why not just allocate that kind of money towards Ba's wages?!

Regardless, its a futile thing because we have an owner and an MD who has no clue whatsoever about football and a manager who isn't far behind.

Most clubs are moving towards the type of wage structure we've got now, other than those with foreign sugar daddies who will pick up the tab. The ones that don't are a ticking time bomb IMO. Maybe we could pay more, but to suggest that we just allocate £10m to Ba's wages to keep him here is just daftness of Freddy Shepherd proportions. Don't really want to go down the finances road in this thread but come on.

I tend to agree but this is where football nous comes into it. To us, someone like Ba is worth 80K a week because his goals alone, will help to A) keep us in the league and B) give us a platform to aim higher up. Its about weighing up how much it would cost to replace him in terms of a fee and how much that player would then cost in wages. The obvious answer would be to keep Ba. Obviously if he's asking for 120K a week then you have to say no but I seriously doubt he wants anywhere near that. We all know how stubborn the c***s are who own and run us, to them the difference between 75K and 80K is astronomical. We failed to land several players in the summer based on margins of 1m or so apparently man.

You give Ba £80k a week then Coloccini, Tiote, Cabaye, Ben Arfa etc will want parity.

And all worth it.

The club can afford these wages, especially when we are shelling out so little in transfer fees these days. We will not pay top dollar though, because to MA these stars are just employees, like his staff at SD.

Fair enough do not pay your Duffs, smiths and Owens top dollars but star players like Ba whose goals alone will bring in more revenue than it costs to keep him here?!

Ashley and business economics is first rate, Ashley and football economics is well, second-rate, which is the kind of club we are under him and always will be.

Are you Freddie Shepherd?

Guest malandro

Ba has never scored 20 a season in his career :lol:

He'd scored 16 by February last year then got pushed out onto the wing (where we've learned from Cisse you can't possibly score from :iamatwat: ). He'd have had 4 more in 4 months in his favourite position.

He's got 13 by January this season and would definitely have had/will have 7 more in the next 5 and a half months.

And the selling club stuff is true as they've barely paid a transfer fee without it being paid for by someone else.

But that isn't what "selling club" means.

Selling players to pay for our incoming transfers? I fully expect the "We're vulnerable to bids for Tiote" stuff to start the second Ba is out the door btw.

Selling club means your primary aim is to sell players, regardless of whether you intend to bring players in or not.

Surely, it means selling players to balance the books. Whether or not this is what we are doing will become clearer when the next accounts are published.

Ba has scored half our league goals this season. Losing him and relying on a misfiring Cisse to find his goal scoring touch is a risk, as is bringing in a forward from the continent. It's an unavoidable risk because our transfer strategy relies heavily on bringing in players with issues, in this instance Ba's agents, his dodgy knee and contractual demands. We might get away with it this time but if you gamble long enough you lose.

Players who will be liberated by the end of the system built around Ba : Krul - Colo - Cabaye - Ben Arfa and of course Cissé.

Wat?

instead of playing to ba's strengths we can play to the teams strengths which will benefit colo, cabaye, ben arfa, cisse. not sure about the krul bit mind.

Guest Howaythetoon

Ok let's look at it like this...

This is a man who kicked up a fuss last season because Cisse was getting all of the plaudits. If he'd have stayed on the left (which would have been best for the TEAM) he would never have got a move to Chelsea based on his goal return at the end of last season from that position. As an individual player he is undoubtably talented but as a team player and human being he is all that's wrong with modern football. f*** him, f*** his agents and I hope he fails miserably

What fuss? He has never publicly complained. Our stupid rent a gob manager is the one that told the whole world Ba was unhappy not playing centrally and even if he was unhappy, who can blame him, he scores goals there.

I'll tell you what is wrong with modern football... people like Mike Ashley and numpties like you who fucking hang out of his arse.

All I know is my club is losing its top goalscorer, its number one striker, the best centre-forward I've seen here since Shearer, at January, while we are only 2 fucking points off bottom.

And all because we don't think he's worth circa 80K a week. If he isn't, who the fuck is? Is Del Boy gonna score the goals to keep us up? How about Pardew? Or the man himself Mike Ashley?

Demba Ba is worth what it is believed he wants, circa 80K a week. Anyway, his gain and whoever gets him, wor loss.

Guest Howaythetoon

And all worth it.

Are you Freddie Shepherd?

Are you Mike Ashley?

:lol:

Guest hatem garrincha

Players who will be liberated by the end of the system built around Ba : Krul - Colo - Cabaye - Ben Arfa and of course Cissé.

Wat?

instead of playing to ba's strengths we can play to the teams strengths which will benefit colo, cabaye, ben arfa, cisse. not sure about the krul bit mind.

Krul will be less tempted to play long ball.

Wat?

Can't wait till this is debunked.

Wat?

why ?

This is sliding into the mouth of madness.

The facts are Ba has been hawked around pretty much from the day he arrived.

He practically lost his head and Africa threatened war on Newcastle via twitter when he sensed Cisse was had taken the spotlight.

Ba played left forward at Hoffenheim and at West Ham...But not scoring means not in shop window hence the following farrago.

If comitted to the cause means not playing in a position that benefits a team I'd like to see him when he really plays up (as he did at Hoffenheim).

His comments to the French media (which I broadly support in content) isn't the way a player should go about his business.

He might be a goalscorer but it's got to the point that he is being put above what is essentially in the interest of the club in the long term.

I wish him good luck and am happy the Ba circus, agents and all is moving on.

People talking about giving him 80k on a long deal are on crack imo. There is one player at Spurs on that or more and that's Bale (who is pretty much world class and a future Barcelona left back).

Wat?

Not sure what Ba's strengths are in this context that are keeping all those players back? Sticking the ball in the net? If anything he has proven to be much more versatile than other strikers we have recently seen, not less.

Wat?

Not sure what Ba's strengths are in this context that are keeping all those players back? Sticking the ball in the net? If anything he has proven to be much more versatile than other strikers we have recently seen, not less.

to me it means playing him centrally to the detriment of the team as a whole.

This is sliding into the mouth of madness.

The facts are Ba has been hawked around pretty much from the day he arrived.

He practically lost his head and Africa threatened war on Newcastle via twitter when he sensed Cisse was had taken the spotlight.

Ba played left forward at Hoffenheim and at West Ham...But not scoring means not in shop window hence the following farrago.

If comitted to the cause means not playing in a position that benefits a team I'd like to see him when he really plays up (as he did at Hoffenheim).

His comments to the French media (which I broadly support in content) isn't the way a player should go about his business.

He might be a goalscorer but it's got to the point that he is being put above what is essentially in the interest of the club in the long term.

I wish him good luck and am happy the Ba circus, agents and all is moving on.

I'd say that's exactly what he's been doing.

Wat?

why ?

Because I'm sick of reading about how Ba is the/a cause of our horrible season.

Guest Howaythetoon

This we play long ball because of Ba shit is fucking idiotic. He grabbed a brace against Arsenal and we didn't hoof it once. We actually played good football. The man will only do better if we play better. The fact he has done this well despite us playing shite should suggest he's a bit better than this long ball target man type people are making him out to be. He is far more versatile than Cisse and will score goals whatever the system, formation or tactics and as a result I'd far rather we actually kept him.

I don't get this whole we will play better football with Cisse down the middle either. We actually played our best football all season away to Arsenal with Cisse wide right and Ba central who also happened to score 2 goals.

Wat?

why ?

Because I'm sick of reading about how Ba is the/a cause of our horrible season.

For it to be debunked, we'd have to have a worse 2nd half of the season than we've just had. Which will mean we're relegated.

So you'd rather you were right than us stay up?