Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Cisse is far better on the ball than Ba, Ba's holdup play is atrocious at times, clinical finisher but we have served our purpose for him we were always going to be a stepping stone otherwise why would the clause even exist?

As for Pardew talking about the clause, does it even matter as his agents/representatives are whoring him around telling every club that will listen.

Replace him with somebody half decent and we will be better off for it, the kids been calling the shots for too long.

Ba has the intelligence to form a partnership with Cisse just not the desire.

I don't get this form of thinking? Why?

I think he is to selfish, yes strikers have to be but I feel Ba has no interest in sharing the limelight with Cisse, Cisse is learning his trade Ba could easily help him out especially in a 4-4-2 where they tend to try and occupy the same space.

I just think he had decided he was off and had more interest in showing what he could do rather be a 100% team player, shop window for him more than anything else.

I like Cisse and he's a quality player but he is so limited its unreal. He's basically a hard working Owen type who plays on the last shoulder, and needs regular service. Ask anything else of him and he struggles. Ba is the complete centre-forward in terms of being able to do numerous jobs and roles.

I don't know about that man, in his time here last season it looked as though he could do pretty much everything. He's a finisher first and foremost, but he has more to his game than that.

Agree Rev

Ba attributes

Good strike

Good in the air

Holds it up well

Cisse attributes

2 footed

Great finisher

Instinctive

Quick

Cisse is the better player

Don't agree with that.

Ba's strength has always been off the ball, making great intelligent runs, timing his runs to a tee thus getting on the end of things , i.e scoring , finishing, and he's good in the air.

On the ball however is another story, bad decision making, taking far too long to decide what to do with the ball in procession, can't hold the ball up, and basically doing his usually trying to spinoff his marker run towards goal but 95 percent of the time losing the ball or gets fouled or he falls over.

I disagree, he was immense at Arsenal holding the ball up, winning it, shielding it, using quick feet and close control. He was the same away to Liverpool too. He can look clumsy and play in that style but overall his general on the ball game is decent as is his all-round game. I think his biggest weakness is his vision and passing, he can be very sloppy when trying to play the ball and when it comes to spotting others' runs or a pass, he struggles at times.

Exactly you inadvertently agreed with me, there's no point in him holding up the ball he hasn't got a clue what to do with it afterwards, poor vision and passing like you said.  Usual foot over the ball thing that Jonas also does all the time, waste of time.  If that counts as holding up the ball well I'd rather not have that.

Some people need to accept that others have differing opinions. While I don't COMPLETELY agree, I think there is some logic to the theory that the team has been built around Ba which has benefited his stats but been to the detriment of the balance and fluidity of the team as a whole.

We played 2 out and out #9s together in a flat 4-4-2 for most of the season. No team in Europe does that, and certainly not teams that don't have a decent natural winger to call upon. Ba was scoring yes, 'knicking goals' in spite but we were generally looking like a rigid pile of shit that was outnumbered in midfield, couldn't create a decent chance and losing.

Now we're playing 4-3-3 with Ba through the middle and Cisse on Barrack Road. Our right flank is Cisse/Simpson for fuck's sake. The team is all over the fucking place, even when we do attempt to play with a more fluid system.

I'm not happy that Ba is going, because he's a good striker and has been largely excellent for us. That said, the results and performances have been shit this season. Apathy has well and truly set in and I'm open to the optimistic approach of 'he's gone, let's build without and try something new'.

Oh and its not Ba limiting our play, its the f***ing idiot in the dugout and his tactics.

Ba and his clause have been systematically undermining AP since the summer

"Play me centrally, keep me happy and I might not leave"

"Play me left with Papiss getting all of the glory and I'm off"

anybody whinger over him need to get a fucking grip- look at the league table- hes been contributing to shit results- fuck him- may as well try and change- I think cisse will be better, and results will improve.

He's been one of the only pulling his weight. Do we sell the whole team because none of them can have been contributing given where we are in the table.

He was the joint top scorer until today (I think).

I think with ba in the middle- we havent scored enough goals to get more then 20 points from half a season.

Not sure how Ba can be blamed for that given he has scored most of our goals but fair enough.

Im not blaming him- the point I am making is playing to his demands has hardly worked out well. We shouldnt be too upset at changing to playing cisse in the middle- i have a good feeling about it. plus theres the whole distraction of the Ba clause pantomime on top- that ended can only be a good thing- theres no way its helping.

Some people need to accept that others have differing opinions. While I don't COMPLETELY agree, I think there is some logic to the theory that the team has been built around Ba which has benefited his stats but been to the detriment of the balance and fluidity of the team as a whole.

We played 2 out and out #9s together in a flat 4-4-2 for most of the season. No team in Europe does that, and certainly not teams that don't have a decent natural winger to call upon. Ba was scoring yes, 'knicking goals' in spite but we were generally looking like a rigid pile of shit that was outnumbered in midfield, couldn't create a decent chance and losing.

Now we're playing 4-3-3 with Ba through the middle and Cisse on Barrack Road. Our right midfield is Cisse/Simpson for fuck's sake. The team is all over the fucking place, even when we do attempt to play with a more fluid system.

I'm not happy that Ba is going, because he's a good striker and has been largely excellent for us. That said, the results and performances have been shit this season. Apathy has well and truly set in and I'm open to the optimistic approach of 'he's gone, let's build without and try something new'.

:thup:

Guest Howaythetoon

I find it strange how critical people have been of Ba/his game despite him scoring 13 goals and generally doing the business yet our big money number 9 signing gets off scott-free despite generally playing poorly and scoring few goals. I think its mad to think that switching Ba left and keeping Cisse central means automatic goals for Cisse and automatic better performances for the team. All this seemingly based on a handful of games last season where we clicked in that formation and with those players in those roles. If anything, Cisse is the odd-man out here and should be the one getting stick or at least being questioned. Ba seems to be a scapegoat of sorts and even responsible for our style of football in the eyes of some. The simple cold hard fact of the matter is this: he delivers. Cisse delieverd in a cameo type role when he signed but has struggled massively this season, regardless. We cannot simply blame Ba for his struggles nor our side's which are far deeper lying.

I ask myself how good would Ba be in a free flowing attacking footballing side? Well for 75 minutes we were that side at the Emirates and he got two and played extremely well.

If Cisse can only operate in one system, in one role, then perhaps its he that needs looked at and replaced and not Ba.

His wonder goals and his amazing start after signing have clouded many's view of him. In some ways he seems untouchable.

Again I like him and rate him but he has been nothing short of shite this season in general and that is simpky not good enough.

Poor old Ba though... how many goals again?!

We played 2 out and out #9s together in a flat 4-4-2 for most of the season. No team in Europe does that, and certainly not teams that don't have a decent natural winger to call upon. Ba was scoring yes, 'knicking goals' in spite but we were generally looking like a rigid pile of s*** that was outnumbered in midfield, couldn't create a decent chance and losing.

Now we're playing 4-3-3 with Ba through the middle and Cisse on Barrack Road. Our right flank is Cisse/Simpson for f***'s sake. The team is all over the f***ing place, even when we do attempt to play with a more fluid system.

I'm not happy that Ba is going, because he's a good striker and has been largely excellent for us. That said, the results and performances have been s*** this season. Apathy has well and truly set in and I'm open to the optimistic approach of 'he's gone, let's build without and try something new'.

Guest sicko2ndbest

We played 2 out and out #9s together in a flat 4-4-2 for most of the season. No team in Europe does that, and certainly not teams that don't have a decent natural winger to call upon. Ba was scoring yes, 'knicking goals' in spite but we were generally looking like a rigid pile of s*** that was outnumbered in midfield, couldn't create a decent chance and losing.

Now we're playing 4-3-3 with Ba through the middle and Cisse on Barrack Road. Our right flank is Cisse/Simpson for f***'s sake. The team is all over the f***ing place, even when we do attempt to play with a more fluid system.

I'm not happy that Ba is going, because he's a good striker and has been largely excellent for us. That said, the results and performances have been s*** this season. Apathy has well and truly set in and I'm open to the optimistic approach of 'he's gone, let's build without and try something new'.

One of your best

I find it strange how critical people have been of Ba/his game despite him scoring 13 goals and generally doing the business yet our big money number 9 signing gets off scott-free despite generally playing poorly and scoring few goals. I think its mad to think that switching Ba left and keeping Cisse central means automatic goals for Cisse and automatic better performances for the team. All this seemingly based on a handful of games last season where we clicked in that formation and with those players in those roles. If anything, Cisse is the odd-man out here and should be the one getting stick or at least being questioned. Ba seems to be a scapegoat of sorts and even responsible for our style of football in the eyes of some. The simple cold hard fact of the matter is this: he delivers. Cisse delieverd in a cameo type role when he signed but has struggled massively this season, regardless. We cannot simply blame Ba for his struggles nor our side's which are far deeper lying.

I ask myself how good would Ba be in a free flowing attacking footballing side? Well for 75 minutes we were that side at the Emirates and he got two and played extremely well.

If Cisse can only operate in one system, in one role, then perhaps its he that needs looked at and replaced and not Ba.

His wonder goals and his amazing start after signing have clouded many's view of him. In some ways he seems untouchable.

Again I like him and rate him but he has been nothing short of s**** this season in general and that is simpky not good enough.

Poor old Ba though... how many goals again?!

Nowt to do with where he is playing then?

Maybe a bit like Ba's goalscoring tally playing on the left when he couldn't score for Toffee?

Guest Howaythetoon

I like Cisse and he's a quality player but he is so limited its unreal. He's basically a hard working Owen type who plays on the last shoulder, and needs regular service. Ask anything else of him and he struggles. Ba is the complete centre-forward in terms of being able to do numerous jobs and roles.

I don't know about that man, in his time here last season it looked as though he could do pretty much everything. He's a finisher first and foremost, but he has more to his game than that.

Agree Rev

Ba attributes

Good strike

Good in the air

Holds it up well

Cisse attributes

2 footed

Great finisher

Instinctive

Quick

Cisse is the better player

Don't agree with that.

Ba's strength has always been off the ball, making great intelligent runs, timing his runs to a tee thus getting on the end of things , i.e scoring , finishing, and he's good in the air.

On the ball however is another story, bad decision making, taking far too long to decide what to do with the ball in procession, can't hold the ball up, and basically doing his usually trying to spinoff his marker run towards goal but 95 percent of the time losing the ball or gets fouled or he falls over.

I disagree, he was immense at Arsenal holding the ball up, winning it, shielding it, using quick feet and close control. He was the same away to Liverpool too. He can look clumsy and play in that style but overall his general on the ball game is decent as is his all-round game. I think his biggest weakness is his vision and passing, he can be very sloppy when trying to play the ball and when it comes to spotting others' runs or a pass, he struggles at times.

Exactly you inadvertently agreed with me, there's no point in him holding up the ball he hasn't got a clue what to do with it afterwards, poor vision and passing like you said.  Usual foot over the ball thing that Jonas also does all the time, waste of time.  If that counts as holding up the ball well I'd rather not have that.

I do agree in parts but its like you are making out he has zero on the ball ability. I've seen him chest the ball down under heavy pressure, guard it, use quick feet and trickery to get out of a tight space, look up and play a good ball, many many many a time. He can do it, its just not his strength, its his weakest area. But even then he is not exactly piss poor at it in the same way Simpson is piss poor at crossing or Smith was at scoring.

If it was up to me I'd keep both the fuckers, sign Remy too and have multiple options with 1 of them doing bench time. That's what we'd all want in an ideal world. That isn't going to happen though, because we've got unambitious tossers as owners.

Guest malandro

To summarise. BA is a clumsy greedy prick who has forced Pardew into playing a direct 442 and is responsible for us being three points off a relegation spot. Without him Pardew will be able to play 433 with the vastly superior Cisse in the middle and we will stop shipping goals and rocket up the league playing like a northern version of Barca.

Sounds optimistic.

To summarise. BA is a clumsy greedy prick who has forced Pardew into playing a direct 442 and is responsible for us being three points off a relegation spot. Without him Pardew will be able to play 433 with the vastly superior Cisse in the middle and we will stop shipping goals and rocket up the league playing like a northern version of Barca.

Sounds optimistic.