Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

He's going to say lots of lovely stuff about his new club but I still thought 'fuck off' a few times reading that.

:thup: totally, never liked him that much, obviously a great player but never truly felt much love towards him.

Honestly think we've seen the best of him.

physically you'd think so, and i wonder how much motivation he has now that he has "made it". On the other hand he's steadily progressed over the past few years and seems to have an almost pathological level of ambition, to the point of outright selfishness, so he may yet have another level to step up.

Imagine he'll be first choice within a few games as he's better than Torres these days, but in the summer they'll sign another striker for big money, someone like Falcao, and he'll see it as a potential threat (similar to how he probably saw Cisse looking back).

anyway good luck to him, was an inevitable departure and glad to get it out the way at the very start of the window. now down to the club to replace him with a similar calibre player that is a better fit for the team. can't blame him in the way some did Carroll if the club fails to do this.

Honestly think we've seen the best of him.

Anything said about an outgoing transfer will be seen as bitter. However, you are correct on this. I've never rated him as a technical footballer, which a champions league team needs. He's a goalscorer but I feel his selfishness will be his downfall.

Good luck to him, he came here and never let us down when picked.  I've got nothing against him unless it's when we're playing Chelsea.

Sort of this, feel a bit bitter about his whole demanding to be moving to the centre and not then repaying Pardew's faith in staying, and the ridiculous agents constantly shopping him around. He didn't however let us down on the pitch, always a proffessional always doing well.

All those retweets certainly do make for uneasy reading. Especially those including his entourage. Congratulations read as if they've successfully manoeuvred this situation.

Good luck to him, he came here and never let us down when picked.  I've got nothing against him unless it's when we're playing Chelsea.

Sort of this, feel a bit bitter about his whole demanding to be moving to the centre and not then repaying Pardew's faith in staying, and the ridiculous agents constantly shopping him around. He didn't however let us down on the pitch, always a proffessional always doing well.

Unless the over and over again shooting from distance and taking free kicks despite other options would have been better and the reluctance passing to Cisse, yes, he's been a professional (team) player.

I dont see the point in being bitter about this.  imo this is better for the club in the long run.  The player had lost confidence in the management, and would have been a bad apple in the team.  Better for both sides to make a break.

We just have to accept hes a mercenary, and plays football for the money.  Better he goes to a team of mercenaries.....

Ba seems to treat success in football as who you play for and how much you're being paid rather than any sense of wanting to win anything. His quotes about "I've done it" and "rewards always come" are bizarre really, not what you expect to hear after a transfer between two Premier League clubs.

He's a great player, no doubt about that, and in the summer I'd have been devastated to lose him (as I was when Carroll went), but despite his goals this season, there's been an air of selfishness about him and I find I'm really not that bothered because I think a player who plays for himself more than the team is ultimately not going to have enough of a positive effect. I really went off him after the Everton game and have never felt the same since.

I'd have been far more gutted if Cisse had been the one to go because I think he cares more and is more prepared to put himself out for the team.

I dont see the point in being bitter about this.  imo this is better for the club in the long run.  The player had lost confidence in the management, and would have been a bad apple in the team.  Better for both sides to make a break.

We just have to accept hes a mercenary, and plays football for the money.  Better he goes to a team of mercenaries.....

A woblemaster post I actually agree with.  I never thought I'd see the day.