Sylvain Marveaux - arrested

Guest neesy111

Wasn't deemed good enough by many on here, now we have moussa and gouffran threading intricate passes :lol:

He wasn't good enough really, but he provided something that no one else in this team really did. De Jong is probably better than him, imo, but we all know how that has gone thus far.

Not good enough but the likes of Colback and Gouffran are.

:anguish:

He has shown some flashes for this club, and has obvious attributes, but his performances were very inconsistent especially domestically, even when he was given ample time on the pitch (the near relegation season), imo. Pardew treated him poorly, that is unquestionable, but there is little evidence that he would be transformative this season. Ben Arfa and Yanga-Mbiwa are different cases in my opinion at least.

Yeah, I'm with you there. Marveaux was frustrating. We should have replaced him in the squad, definitely, but Marv was hardly great.

Wasn't deemed good enough by many on here, now we have moussa and gouffran threading intricate passes :lol:

He wasn't good enough really, but he provided something that no one else in this team really did. De Jong is probably better than him, imo, but we all know how that has gone thus far.

Not really the correct conclusion to draw from Baba's post.

He has shown some flashes for this club, and has obvious attributes, but his performances were very inconsistent especially domestically, even when he was given ample time on the pitch (the near relegation season), imo. Pardew treated him poorly, that is unquestionable, but there is little evidence that he would be transformative this season. Ben Arfa and Yanga-Mbiwa are different cases in my opinion at least.

It's a fair point to an extent - Marveaux probably is inherently inconsistent and I imagine he's the type who'll drift in and out of games. But at the same time, it feels like you're ignoring some of the key factors as to why Marveaux wasn't consistent when given the "opportunity". Way I see it, he had a surprisingly cracking Christmas period in 12/13 with promising performances against ManU and Arsenal in the AM role which we hadn't seen him in before - showed good control, carried the ball forward, exploited the spaces, looked to be a very neat and tidy link between midfield and attack. He then got injured in Jan 13, came back around Feb, had a class 10 minute cameo against Chelsea which iirc Pardew praised in the media (proclaiming it was great to have someone with a bit of magic like Marveaux on the bench to bring on for these types of cameos), was then thrown on at left wing here and there (and did nothing because he's simply not a winger), and then was barely seen again.

It's obvious he was never given anything resembling the run in the team in the one position that seemed to suit him and the team that he had definitely earned, so this alone should be enough to discredit any notions that Marveaux was inconsistent or not good enough. On top of this, let's not forget just how much hoofball we played in 12/13, especially when the shit hit the fan and it looked like relegation could be a possibility - Pardew hit the panic button, turned his back (i.e. alienated) the "flair" players, and had the team launch it high even more - absolutely no decent footballer could have performed well in that team in 12/13. Prime example - Cabaye.

If we had any ambition in the board of this club we'd have had the chance to have Ba in that group as well. Fucking hell. Talk about an attacking group that could make an assault on the top 7. Mix in the likes of Cabella and such as players who ALL could have been signed as well.

He'd walk into this team right now. He should be playing the #10 role and the ball needed to be at his feet nearly every attack. Would've been nice to see him and Cabella (HBA always was gone) play attacking roles around Cisse and De Jong.

He'd walk into this team right now. He should be playing the #10 role and the ball needed to be at his feet nearly every attack. Would've been nice to see him and Cabella (HBA always was gone) play attacking roles around Cisse and De Jong.

Currently watching Guingamp's game from yesterday. He's playing in the #10 role and playing superbly well. Lovely touch and footwork whenever he picks up the ball, always looking to be positive and carry it forward and has also created a couple of decent chances through his link-up play.

So utterly depressing. :(

Currently watching Guingamp's game from yesterday. He's playing in the #10 role and playing superbly well. Lovely touch and footwork whenever he picks up the ball, always looking to be positive and carry it forward and has also created a couple of decent chances through his link-up play.

Yeah, but he doesn't track back like Colback.

That kind of play would leave us so exposed. Can't you see, it's all about the graft? What's wrong with you?

So utterly depressing. :(

Yup.

Walk into the team :lol: Pardew would rather saw his right peg off than play Marveaux.

Walk into the team :lol: Pardew would rather saw his right peg off than play Marveaux.

I sincerely wish that those were the two choices Pardew had.  Win win

Let's not get carried away here. Fair enough he didn't get much time on the pitch but the way some people are going on here he was in the Messi/Ronaldo bracket. I thought he didn't look cut out for football in England and his "performance" at Goodison has to go down as one of the most gutless and cowardly efforts I've ever seen from a Newcastle player and he's got some competition for that title!

Let's not get carried away here. Fair enough he didn't get much time on the pitch but the way some people are going on here he was in the Messi/Ronaldo bracket. I thought he didn't look cut out for football in England and his "performance" at Goodison has to go down as one of the most gutless and cowardly efforts I've ever seen from a Newcastle player and he's got some competition for that title!

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/nsh.gif

I thought he had something, something we need now but was never ever allowed to show it under Pardews strict formation of defend first, maybe attack later tactics.

Awful management.

Anyway, he wont be comeing back unless we get a new manager, which looks very unlikely.

5 minute flashes? Gouffran hasn't managed 5 minutes in 10 months.

If we want to be challenging for the top 6-8 positions, which is where a club of our size should be, not scrapping with the likes of QPR and Burnley down at the bottom, neither Marveaux or Gouffran should be anywhere near our first XI.