Sylvain Marveaux - arrested

Guest neesy111

Everyone is esentially a stepping stone, but I think we still have more pulling power than teams in our 'group'. (Everton, Sunderland, Villa, Fulham, Blackburn etc). Ben Arfa an example of this, we had just been promoted but he was obviously sold on the club, hence his determination to come here. Obviously there have been knock backs this summer in the shape of Gameiro and Gervinho, but I'm confident we can keep attracting quality players, it's just keeping them that is the hard thing in today's football sadly.

Sylvain Marveaux has started 64 league games in his last five seasons (33 of which came the season before last - he also scored 10 goals during that season).

In total, he has made 102 career league appearances - which is an average 20.4 a season, scoring 16 goals in the process.

We have handed him a five-year contract, and used a significant amount of our resources paying his signing-on fee, agent fees and put money aside for his salary.

Thoughts?

Sylvain Marveaux has started 64 league games in his last five seasons (33 of which came the season before last - he also scored 10 goals during that season).

In total, he has made 102 career league appearances - which is an average 20.4 a season, scoring 16 goals in the process.

We have handed him a five-year contract, and used a significant amount of our resources paying his signing-on fee, agent fees and put money aside for his salary.

Thoughts?

I like turtles.

Thoughts?

20 million out of our 35 well spent...

Thoughts?

Lets not sign anyone then.

And we are expected to pay for his mistakes...

If people behave like fans/supporters then of course.

If people start to behave like customers instead then he's in a big pile of his own poo.

It's true that any business has to offer good value to the customers or risk turning them away. If you are going to go down that route then you also have to acknowledge that businesses are usually run to make a profit not make losses so that needs to be factored in by the anti-Ashley fans. The only point of debate for me is whether Ashley is over-doing the cost cutting and we are capable of investing a lot more in the squad. Something we'll only know when the window shuts.

I think Marveaux has come here because he's getting a good contract, playing with some countrymen he knows and feels he's wanted (since we've been after him for quite some time).  I don't think he's someone to be felt sorry for or that the club have done anything wrong by telling him anything that'll help us sign him.  That's what they should do!  You obviously have a very negative view of the club and what's going on, and I can understand some of it (though IMO some is overblown IMO like assuming Tiote will be sold ect).  But the fact is having a go because they're being as optimistic as possible with a new signing is f***ing stupid.

Not really bothered what you think its my opinion and ive been watching the Toon since 1969 and know a thing or two about being ran poorly so dont call me stupid when you know as well as me that the powers that be see him as a potential money spinner if he does well  ,i feel sorry for him as he may believe his ambitions can come true here and im being cynical for that reason .

So why should any player want to join us ever, if we can't guarantee trophies for them.  Any player coming to this club should be told that if they are part of the team that wins our 1st trophy in 40 years they'll be heralded as gods in Newcastle, that has got to be an incentive to some players (though not to Carroll the c***).

;D

Guest Spark

Three signings before the end of June? Am I dreaming?

You still dreaming or have you awakened to a harsh reality?  :doh:

:kinnear:

Thoughts?

Lets not sign anyone then.

Eh?

Didn't realise Marveaux's fitness record was that bad TBH, although does one serious injury account for a big chunk of those missed games?

Edit: actually reading his wikipedia history it doesn't worry me that much. One major hamstring injury that was misdiagnosed and meant he missed 6 months, then a groin problem a couple of seasons later. Not that worried. [/famouslastwords]

Didn't realise Marveaux's fitness record was that bad TBH, although does one serious injury account for a big chunk of those missed games?

You be the judge. In terms of league games started...

2006–07 - 8

2007–08 - 11

2008–09 - 3

2009–10 - 33

2010–11 - 9

He was fit for that whole 06/07 season though apparently, he was just a sub (which is normal/fine). In the following season he was still struggling to break through and made 24 appearances in total (which again isn't that bad), he also had his hamstring nightmare.

Last season is a bit more worrying but reading the details of his injury it seems completely different to the hamstring one.

Overall, not that worried about his fitness record.

He was fit for that whole 06/07 season though apparently, he was just a sub (which is normal/fine). In the following season he was still struggling to break through and made 24 appearances in total (which again isn't that bad), he also had his hamstring nightmare.

Last season is a bit more worrying but reading the details of his injury it seems completely different to the hamstring one.

And the fact he struggled to get into Rennes' first-team?

Well I don't really know anything about that. Lots of players have times when they aren't in the team, especially when they're young. I don't think it means he isn't a good player now.

Do you know more?

Guest neesy111

Considering he was a lot younger then and probably still developing as a player.  Carroll was 6th choice just 2 and bit years ago.

You're not serious?

Well I don't really know anything about that. Lots of players have times when they aren't in the team, especially when they're young. I don't think it means he isn't a good player now.

Do you know more?

I don't follow Rennes avidly, but as far as I'm aware he's been a fringe player for some time due to his ability, as well as his injury record.

From what I have seen of him, he is a better version of Routledge (who can cut inside). Although, I think in the Prem, he will be restricted to the wings - due to his size and strength. I've been contradicted on here whenever I've described him as a 'classic-winger' by people who things he's going to be cutting inside, ripping defences to shreds but I suppose only time will tell.

As concerning as his injury record is - my doubts his size and ability are greater... Cabaye however, is a superb signing.

I know literally nothing about him as a player.

Neither does Colocho.

But I do... Play a different tune.

Interesting, I know literally nothing about him as a player. Hopefully he can add something, even as a sub for Jonas.

This is how he should be played. His pace, agility and crossing ability will cause problems.