Sylvain Marveaux - arrested

Guest neesy111

I think we genuinely have to consider those two new signings. I know it's a cliche etc etc, but we did without them all last season and now we don't have to.

As far as I'm concerned we're six players up on the squad that finished last season, and only Nolan gone out.

I think we genuinely have to consider those two new signings. I know it's a cliche etc etc, but we did without them all last season and now we don't have to.

As far as I'm concerned we're six players up on the squad that finished last season, and only Nolan gone out.

We will incur long term injuries this season. Every team does. Someone is breaking a leg, I hope it's not someone important, but it very well could be. Counting players back from injury as new signings makes as much sense as counting 2011's long term injuries as outgoing.

Not really, they can be considered new signings because we've seen fuck all of them. :lol:

When a player who's been here a while, is out with a long-term injury, and THEN we see the "like a new signing" remarks, that's when I cringe. (was it Hughton who said Barton was like a new signing this time last year?) :lol:

We will incur long term injuries this season. Every team does. Someone is breaking a leg, I hope it's not someone important, but it very well could be. Counting players back from injury as new signings makes as much sense as counting 2011's long term injuries as outgoing.

I sort of agree, they cannot be classed s new signings as such, but we cannot ignore the fact that we never had them last season.

Does this new 'surplus' of players take into account the loss of Campbell and Carroll / Kuqi (as well as some fringe players), not to mention savings in the wages that they no longer incur.

Carroll has been replaced by Ba. Campbell and Kuqi have been replaced by a bore hole.

Pretty much like for like.

http://www.teamtalk.com/newcastle-united/7067784/Marveaux-to-embrace-the-unknown

Marveaux to embrace the unknown

Friday 29th July 2011 21:52

Sylvain Marveaux will launch his Premier League adventure with Newcastle insisting he does not fear what lies ahead.

The 25-year-old Frenchman arrived at St James' Park this summer after the Magpies managed to resurrect a deal on which they had been working for some time following the collapse of a proposed move to Liverpool.

Manager Alan Pardew, who admitted he thought he had lost his man, was delighted to have snapped him up at the 11th hour as he sought to add pace and creativity to a side which retained its top-flight status with some comfort last term but on a diet of hard graft and commitment.

Pardew is desperate to restore the flair which had the Toon Army off their seats during both the first Kevin Keegan era and Sir Bobby Robson's reign on Tyneside, and he hopes the ball-carrying and serving ability of £4.8million signing Yohan Cabaye and Marveaux's invention will help to do just that.

The former Rennes winger knows the Premier League will represent a very different challenge to the one to which he is used, but he is not at all fazed by the prospect.

Marveaux said: "I wanted this change, so I am not scared of it.

"I just want to enjoy it. I just want to play, I want to work - I know I have to work.

"I know there are a lot of good players in the team already, so I have everything to prove.

"I am sure that not a lot of people know me very well here in England. I am looking forward to it. I hope the fans will be happy with my work, and I will do everything to please them."

Newcastle and Liverpool were among a host of clubs who attempted to lure Marveaux, and it appeared that the Reds had won the race when the Frenchman headed for Anfield to push through a move.

However, the deal foundered amid claims that the player had failed a medical on a groin problem which had sidelined him since November.

Marveaux has repeatedly insisted that was not the case, and that he did not sign for Liverpool because the two parties could not agree on personal terms.

But whatever the reason, he is adamant he is back to full fitness and is keen to get to work with the opening-day clash with Arsenal on August 13 looming large.

He said: "I have nothing to say about it. That's the past now, I just want to focus on Newcastle, that's the best thing.

"I have already said that it wasn't about the medical. I am glad it is clear now. I am fit."

Newcastle's 12th-place finish in their first season back in the top flight was a more than creditable return, and an assault on the top 10 is among the more modest of their targets for the new campaign.

Pardew is confident that the likes of Marveaux, compatriot Cabaye and Senegal international striker Demba Ba will strengthen the team significantly.

Asked about his ambitions for the campaign, Marveaux said: "I don't know - to do better than last season and maybe be one of the best teams in England.

"But I know it is very hard. The season is very long, there are a lot of matches, a lot of big teams, so we will see."

On a personal level, the midfielder is hoping the exposure English football will give him will help to promote his cause on the senior international front, although he is conscious that will only come if his club form merits it.

Marveaux said: "First of all, I have to do great work here to be called.

"The most important thing now is my new club and my new life. I will do my best to make it."

Guest Haris Vuckic

He's a player I would love to do well. His attitude is great and he's saying all the right things that the malleable minded fans like myself lap up :) 

He's got real potential to be a great player and earn a move to a Club with real ambition. Getting him free should see Ashley trouser a handsome profit.

You stopped short mate.

Don't worry, he is too much of a crock to win a move. We will just be stuck with his huge wages for 5 years while he does fuck all #negativitywarshavestarted