Tranquillo Barnetta signs for Schalke

oldtype

If Joey goes, he'll come in, just the same situation as if Jose goes someone else will come in. I still think we'll get Erding in, in spite of their situations.

If you are to believe certain journos (which I know, probably waffle), Erdinc deal is off due to inability to agree personal terms.  Personal terms?  With the wage bill down, and all that Andy Carroll used up on tarmac, lightbulbs and whatever-bloody else...  How anyone can seriously believe Barton will be replaced properly, when we haven't replaced Carroll properly despite having funds and time, and we haven't replaced Enrique even though we've known for a month or so that he wouldn't sign a new contract.

Utter madness.

Can't disagree too much on any of that. Despite what I think of Barton and Enrique's convenient excuses, I am sceptical of our intent to spend seriously this window. The only good thing about Barton's outbursts is that it will put more pressure on the board to prove him wrong...or right as the situation may be.

you're sceptical? how many more windows until you just accept it?

If Joey goes, he'll come in, just the same situation as if Jose goes someone else will come in. I still think we'll get Erding in, in spite of their situations.

If you are to believe certain journos (which I know, probably waffle), Erdinc deal is off due to inability to agree personal terms.  Personal terms?  With the wage bill down, and all that Andy Carroll used up on tarmac, lightbulbs and whatever-bloody else...  How anyone can seriously believe Barton will be replaced properly, when we haven't replaced Carroll properly despite having funds and time, and we haven't replaced Enrique even though we've known for a month or so that he wouldn't sign a new contract.

Utter madness.

Can't disagree too much on any of that. Despite what I think of Barton and Enrique's convenient excuses, I am sceptical of our intent to spend seriously this window. The only good thing about Barton's outbursts is that it will put more pressure on the board to prove him wrong...or right as the situation may be.

I'm sceptical about that too, in fact I actually believe they don't intend to spend much. Enrique leaving doesn't have much to do with that though, I just think circumstances have evolved to the point where he is bound to leave.

As for signings, praying we get a LB and another striker, and that they undervalued like the players we've signed already.

I don't blame Enrique for wanting to move up a notch, I just didn't think he needed to kick up a stink about the new deal not being good enough. If you can do better fine, get your new club to make a proper offer and get the deal done.

Utter madness.

Whilst I agree with you, I'm jealous...I remember what it was like having at least an ounce of hope that we'd spend

Utter madness.

This window is a good barometer as we've had a season back in the premier and we've sold players for big money.

The club has a replacement policy, I think that's fairly obvious but not an investment one. Isn't that how 'self-sustainable' works? Until said players' wages are officially gone, they won't be replaced because they won't want to add to the wage bill unnecessarily (in their own minds, not mine I might add). So when Enrique goes, M'Bengue pays for himself and the same will happen with Barton and Barnetta and whoever else leaves later on.

As I said beofre though, in terms of investment aka improving the squad after the basics, that's a completely different story.

P.S - I'm not saying we'll get M'Bengue, just hypothetical considering past links. I'd be delighted with him though.

The club has a replacement policy, I think that's fairly obvious but not an investment one. Isn't that how 'self-sustainable' works? Until said players' wages are officially gone, they won't be replaced because they won't want to add to the wage bill unnecessarily (in their own minds, not mine I might add). So when Enrique goes, M'Bengue pays for himself and the same will happen with Barton and Barnetta and whoever else leaves later on.

As I said beofre though, in terms of investment aka improving the squad after the basics, that's a completely different story.

P.S - I'm not saying we'll get M'Bengue, just hypothetical considering past links. I'd be delighted with him though.

That would be assuming that level of investment is fixed, and not with an owner who is paying his own loan back to himself every season

That would be assuming that level of investment is fixed, and not with an owner who is paying his own loan back to himself every season

He's obviously hit levels he's happy to contend with, setting a 'supposed' wage cap proves this. He's not completely thick, he wants to sell and will see the importance of being mildly competitive in the league to boost the chances of getting rid.

Utter madness.

This window is a good barometer as we've had a season back in the premier and we've sold players for big money.

fair enough

There is absolutely no chance we are going to sign a player of this calibre - either going to be a free youngster or an ageing crock who will play for peanuts. Same for Jose's replacement.

Aye, because we've never, ever signed a player with quality under Ashley. This transfer window has been a huge disappointment to say the least but some of the hyperbole following the Barton fallout has been absolutely laughable.

Wheres the link for this? Last I'd heard more money had been paid into the club, not taken out but a couple of posts have indicated the money is being taken out so I'd like to see where this has come from

Wheres the link for this? Last I'd heard more money had been paid into the club, not taken out but a couple of posts have indicated the money is being taken out so I'd like to see where this has come from

http://www.nufcblog.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Accounts.jpg

http://www.nufcblog.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Accounts.jpg

Means nowt that.  Being repayable does not mean it was or will be.

If Barton is off-ski and with Routledge now at Swansea, it would be criminal to go in to the season without someone like Barnetta not brought in to give us a regular starter for the right flank.

There is absolutely no chance we are going to sign a player of this calibre - either going to be a free youngster or an ageing crock who will play for peanuts. Same for Jose's replacement.

Aye, because we've never, ever signed a player with quality under Ashley. This transfer window has been a huge disappointment to say the least but some of the hyperbole following the Barton fallout has been absolutely laughable.

It is hyperbole of course, but I think we do have to consider the possibility that the recent turmoil may have made us less attractive to a lot of players.

All speculation of course but it might even be what broke down the Erdinc deal.

Guest BooBoo

That tit Luke Edwards in the Telegraph writes that this lad will be signing.

I was under the impression Barnetta favoured the left side of midfield? I dont pretend to seeing him too many times but just something I read somewhere.

I was under the impression Barnetta favoured the left side of midfield? I dont pretend to seeing him too many times but just something I read somewhere.

And because it's this man writing, I'm inclined not to believe a single word.

Guest VegasToon

I thought we were playing:

Ba

Jonas                  Ben Afra

Marvieux

Ferguson

Tiote            Cabaye

Taylor            Collocini            Simpson

Krul

Attack, Attack on the left, Back up, Back up on the right.

Apologies for my spelling mistakes.

http://t.co/gxZQrXK

Alan Pardew is close to signing Bayer Leverkusen winger Tranquillo Barnetta as his replacement.

Just because ur told to jump, it does not necessarily mean u have to. I may choose to stand perfectly still. It's my right...just a thoughtless than a minute ago via Twitter for iPad Favorite Retweet ReplyJoseph Barton

Joey7Barton

Although Barton’s agent, Willie McKay, claims there is a lot of interest in the midfielder following the news he had been given a free transfer by Newcastle, the 28 year-old has suggested he may yet decide to dig his heels in on Tyneside.

Once again communicating via Twitter, Barton said: “Just because ur told to jump, it does not necessarily mean u have to. I may choose to stand perfectly still. It’s my right... just a thought.”

As with much of the week, Barton was not done there, once again searching for famous quotes to paint himself as a 'crusader for truth’ in his public relations battle on Twitter.

Quote of the day: If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washingtonless than a minute ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® Favorite Retweet ReplyJoseph Barton

Joey7Barton

He added: “Quote of the day: If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington.”

Whether Barton’s wish to stay is genuine, or whether he is interested only in making things uncomfortable for the Newcastle hierarchy is unclear, but there is a suggestion from those close to the player he has not been impressed with the quality of clubs interested in signing him.

Tottenham Hotspur are not thought to be seriously considering a move for the former Manchester City player, while Wolverhampton Wanderers have also backed away from a move.

Stoke City are still thought to be keeping an eye on the situation and McKay maintains six top-flight managers have expressed an interest in signing Barton, even though the player has also been offered to big clubs in the Championship.

If Barton does hope he can repair the damage his criticism of the board has done, along with his dressing- room bust up with team-mates and Pardew at Leeds last weekend, it would appear to be misguided, particularly as there has been no sign of an apology.

Newcastle have swiftly turned their attention to signing a replacement for Barton, whose inability to keep his mouth shut has been a source of tension for some time, with Barnetta in line to become Pardew’s fifth summer signing.

The Switzerland international scored twice against England at Wembley at the start of June and the 26 year-old has been on Newcastle’s radar for months.

The Barton situation has merely focused Newcastle’s minds on the need to add another wide player to the squad as Pardew has also allowed Wayne Routledge to move to Swansea this week.

Barnetta, who would cost around £4 million, is keen on a new challenge after seven seasons with Leverkusen and has always wanted to play in the Premier League.

Guest taps01

Be interested to know how many times  he played last season?  Im guessing that Bayer Leverkusen are quite good as i see they finished 2nd last season.