Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Not being one to disbelieve an article, but isn't this the same bloke who claimed Colo had walked out on Newcastle never to return last May time?

Not saying Colo isn't out until Crimbo mind...he may well be, just choosing to wait from a few sources first instead of this proven (iirc) shit stirrer.

Not being one to disbelieve an article, but isn't this the same bloke who claimed Colo had walked out on Newcastle never to return last May time?

Not saying Colo isn't out until Crimbo mind...he may well be, just choosing to wait from a few sources first instead of this proven (iirc) shit stirrer.

No idea if it's the same guy, but The Independent certainly has previous for shit stirring around Coloccini. We'll see if this turns out true or not.

One thing's for sure, if this is true, we just can't rely on his fitness anymore.

Colo needs to be phased out, MYM needs to come in. I'll probably be in the complete minority here but, for me, Mapou is the best candidate in this squad to take the captaincy, perhaps not right now but in the very near future. He's young but has achieved a lot in his career, leading his side to a Championship, he's a winner. I think if Pardew showed more confidence in MYM, we'd see a more consistent player and generally terrific defender.

Oddly enough, I'd partner him with Williamson until January, then buy someone else. Willo can do the basics and is seemingly a good organiser, letting MYM settle in and develop his own style, rather than having to adapt to Colo. Taylor's too stupid to have a defender bedding in alongside him, he's the type that needs his hand holding. It's not ideal but it'd do and would pay huge dividends in the long run, in my opinion.

I'd stick with Taylor and Williamson, then gradually bring Mapou in with Colo fucked.

The only thing Williamson has on Taylor is his leadership, and if Mapou is, as you say, the best candidate for captaincy, he won't need to be partnered with a far inferior player for the sake of better organisational skills.

I'd stick with Taylor and Williamson, then gradually bring Mapou in with Colo f***ed.

The only thing Williamson has on Taylor is his leadership, and if Mapou is, as you say, the best candidate for captaincy, he won't need to be partnered with a far inferior player for the sake of better organisational skills.

I don't think MYM is ready to be the defence's organiser, yet. I wouldn't say that's a reflection of his leadership skills either, I just think he needs to get a run for us where he can play his own game and feel confident and comfortable in this league. Basically, just focus on himself. I think if he gets a couple of months doing that, he'll be ready to lead our back line.

Even if Colo is genuinely injured, the club has had plenty of warning that he is unsettled at SJP - this will be his second long spell back in Argentina in a year and a new CB should have been signed in the summer. This is yet another example of Ashley's financial chancing combined with Kinnear's ignorance about modern players which is why he pulled the plug on Douglas...not because he wasn't good enough(in his view)but because he didn't know anything about the player.

Doesn't say much for his confidence in Carr's judgement....

Colo's biggest asset now is his reading of the game - none of the other CBs at the club have this quality in the same way and we could end up paying heavily for not investing last summer.

Yeah, all those will come with time as he adapts properly.

Only thing is that defence is kinda our weak spot atm and he won't be given the luxury of bedding in easily without a regular CB partner and his FB(s) finding his feet in the team too.

Great stuff. :thup:

Two months to make do with one injury prone CB and two that aren't up to PL football (yet, in Mbiwa's case). Thank f*** we didn't sign Douglas for nowt.

:snod:

I'd go with a Taylor Mbiwa partnership for the foreseeable future. In theory they should compliment each other quite well, and they could both be our first choice centre back partnership for the next few years if they hit it off.