Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

but if he gets slower ? not saying he will but it's a possibility, no amount of reading the game can make up for that. 3 yrs definitly, 4 yrs possibly, 5 and a pay rise seems pushing it.

He'll not wake up one mornig to find he's lost the use of his legs.  He seems to have lived a good clean life and hasn't been hampered by injuries, I can't see why he's going to have a problem.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

He's got a hell of a lot more to his game, he's not slow and in three years' time when he is starting to slow he'll be able to adapt.

Not sure about that like. If the rumours are true that he's getting a pay rise from a possible 70k. Can any club afford cover at those rates.

Hope he signs but I hope we cover the eventualities somehow.

He's certainly not going to be cover the next three seasons though is he, and might be first choice for all five? He's also our captain and arguably the most consistent player at the club in terms of form and fitness. Colo's the sort of player that others want to come and play alongside,  he's worth it.

http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/8919/loreal.png

I knew someone would  :lol:

but if he gets slower ? not saying he will but it's a possibility, no amount of reading the game can make up for that. 3 yrs definitly, 4 yrs possibly, 5 and a pay rise seems pushing it.

He'll not wake up one mornig to find he's lost the use of his legs.  He seems to have lived a good clean life and hasn't been hampered by injuries, I can't see why he's going to have a problem.

hey i'm not saying it will happen but it does very often and at a reputed 80kpw it's a bit of a risk. rather it didn't come to it but it would be interesting to see which clubs would offer him more than he's on already.

He's got a hell of a lot more to his game, he's not slow and in three years' time when he is starting to slow he'll be able to adapt.

he already does that to make up for his lack of pace, he will reach a point when he knows exactly what do but the legs won't get him there, may be in 3 yrs, maybe 5 or 8 but it's a damn sight closer than it was when he first came. it's a fact of life and the reason why ryan giggs wasn't given a 5yr contract when he was 30.

he already does that to make up for his lack of pace, he will reach a point when he knows exactly what do but the legs won't get him there, may be in 3 yrs, maybe 5 or 8 but it's a damn sight closer than it was when he first came. it's a fact of life and the reason why ryan giggs wasn't given a 5yr contract when he was 30.

Ryan Giggs is playing on the wing at 38, he's in a position which is much more reliant on pace than playing centre half.

According to the article that kicked this all off, we're happy to offer four years, with an optional fifth year at presumably lower wages. That's fine IMO.

aye i'd go for that.

Thirded.

Right, Colo. Sign on the dotted line.

Ryan Giggs is playing on the wing at 38, he's in a position which is much more reliant on pace than playing centre half.

no it isn't. many wide players have little pace even at their peak but even them,in the main start to slow down in their 30's and it shows and they can't get away with it, giggs is an exception,nicky butt was more the rule.

According to the article that kicked this all off, we're happy to offer four years, with an optional fifth year at presumably lower wages. That's fine IMO.

That's more than fine like. Would certainly suit both parties imo.

Just have to endure the waiting game, I imagine we won't hear anything until the end of the season.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Agree, I wouldn't go further than that. His pace is an issue now, in 4 years it's going to be a game changer

See Rio

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Absolutely superb news. Must admit I was worried about the negotiations and the way they seemed to drag out in a Jose esque fashion, I did suspect he may go in the summer.

Fantastic work by all parties getting this sorted. Best centre half in the league.