Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Completely agree, and i actually thought so at the time tbh. I could see another Fulham type thing coming had we gone in 1-0 at half-time. They deserved to be level and had they equalised after half-time, Pardew we wouldn't have been able to address it properly.

They deserved to be level whether they scored or not, Pardew knew this and would have addressed it at ht.

Aye, just need to look at the Blackburn game to see this.

Still think Colo should have stayed on Keane, but I can see why he would try and take the ball off N'Zogbia.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=1585158.html?cid=twitter_voiceofthesite

For Fabricio Coloccini, the move to English football in 2008 was anything but seamless. The accent in the north-eastern region initially proved a veritable challenge to his English comprehension, while on the pitch his first season saw Newcastle United relegated to the country’s second tier. Undeterred, the defender committed himself to the Magpies despite knowing that a season without top-flight football would jeopardise his chances of making the Argentina squad for the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™.

It was a decision the 30-year-old has never regretted, and today he is again going toe-to-toe with the cream of English football in an impressive and much-strengthened Newcastle side that seems firmly on course for a return to European football next season. Now in an exclusive interview with FIFA.com, the Argentinian speaks openly about his nomadic career, playing for Newcastle and the current state of football in his homeland.

“My first season here was a bit difficult as I knew very little about their football. However, bit by bit I picked up how things were done and started to become part of it,” said Coloccini of the move that took him from Spain’s Deportivo La Coruna. “On top of that I knew very little English, and then I had to understand the northern accent!  But I’m used to it at this stage, so much so that when I go to London I find it easy to understand people. That said, I think I can now call myself a northerner!”

The central defender undoubtedly feels at home in Newcastle, where the fans - "truly impressive," according to Coloccini - have taken him to their heart, and he already wears the captain’s armband. “That’s a real honour and something I’m proud of," he said. "Having this privilege is a little complicated though, first because I’m a foreigner, and secondly because my English still isn’t perfect. That’s why I view it as a gift to be enjoyed to the full. I try to fulfil my captain’s duties as best I can to drive the team on.”

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/02/26/pards-keeps-his-cool-79310-30407634/

Fabricio Coloccini’s South American agent is holding out for more too, despite a deal on the table that would see him tied to the club until he’s 35 with a pay bump built in.

There seems to be an issue over an optional fifth year, which might require the defender to take a cut on his current terms. It is likely to be the skipper’s final big contract in professional football and a senior United source told the Sunday Sun the club are moving “heaven and earth” to try and get Coloccini signed up.

And Pardew is quick to point out that despite negotiations running far from smoothly, there is NO antagonism in the ongoing talks.

“We’ve had conversations with them all (in the last two weeks),” he said. “I can see a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel now. I can understand why fans are concerned but we’re making progress.

“It’s not easy, contracts, and we’re trying to do what’s best for the football club and what’s best for the player. Sometimes they are worlds apart.

“There has been a bit of antagonism with contracts in the past.

“There’s a lot more communication here and I think we’re trying to work through the process in a sensible manner.”

Oh God, please get this sorted asap! Can't stress how important Colo is to our team, could still see him being our main centre back and captain in 3 years time.

Good to actually just hear something about this though, Pardew seems confident.

Oh God, please get this sorted asap! Can't stress how important Colo is to our team, could still see him being our main centre back and captain in 3 years time.

Good to actually just hear something about this though, Pardew seems confident.

:lol:

And? What does that really matter, he's a gobshite.  :lol:

Graeme Bailey ‏ @SkyGraemeBailey  Reply  Retweet  Favorite · Open

Newcastle insist that progress is being made with new contracts for defenders Fabricio Coloccini and Danny Simpson. www1.skysports.com/football/news/…

Fabricio Coloccini won't take his eye off the ball

by Lee Ryder, Evening ChronicleFeb 27 2012Comment (1) Recommend (3)

FABRICIO COLOCCINI wants to put talk about his future with Newcastle United on hold as he focuses on leading the Magpies to Tyne-Wear derby glory – and European qualification.

The Chronicle reported back on November 15 that Coloccini could put contract negotiations back to the end of the season as he enters the final year of his lucrative five-year stay on Tyneside.

Now Captain Colo has revealed he is keen to stay at Newcastle, but would prefer to concentrate on footballing matters between now and the end of the current campaign.

Coloccini told the Chronicle: “We have to think about each game – not the Champions League or Europa League.

“We just have to give 100% in every game.

“And then when there are four or five games left in the league we can weigh up which competition we are going for.”

Toon owner Mike Ashley and manager Alan Pardew have been outlining plans to improve the squad for next season in the last few weeks in high-level talks.

But when asked if he wanted to be part of that future, with fans keen on the South American to stay, Coloccini offered some assurance to supporters.

Ending the silence on his future, he said: “Of course I want to stay.

“We’re speaking. It’s a normal process. Everything’s OK.”

Cult hero Coloccini cut a disappointed figure on Saturday night after watching his troops throw away a two-goal cushion.

It meant that United stayed in sixth place in the table and lost ground on Chelsea, who trounced Bolton 3-0.

Reflecting on the Wolves result, Coloccini said: “I think it’s an expensive two points we lost. But we have to look forward to the next game against Sunderland.

“We did really well in the first half, and I don’t know why, but maybe we looked tired in the second half.

“We couldn’t press like we did in the first half.

“They started to move the ball, and we couldn’t get the ball.

“When you don’t have the ball, it’s difficult to create (scoring) situations.”

Coloccini was only interested in what he could influence today, starting with the derby against the Black Cats next Sunday when the high-noon Sabbath battle will see Tyne-Wear streets cleared for 90 minutes, as the biggest game of the season at St James’ Park gets under way.

Coloccini said: “Now we have to think about the next game. It’s a big game for us, and for the fans.

“We have to try to give our best. We knew before the Wolves game if we got the three points, it would be very good for us. But It’s finished.

“We took a point, and we have to take three points from the next game – it’s that simple.

“I think four points from six is important for us for the rest of the season ahead.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/02/27/fabricio-coloccini-won-t-take-his-eye-off-the-ball-72703-30412599/2/#ixzz1na8mG6KT