Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

I would love to see him leading us out on a European night. I don't care if it's a Tuesday at the San Siro or a Thursday in Belgrade. He deserves it. What a man.

I think he'd be even better playing European football than he is in the Premiership.

"It's good to win in this way, and we know now that we can have dreams because we're one point, maybe two points, away from the total you need to be safe.

"That's good, because we can look forward. Why not dream about playing in a European cup?

"I think it is okay to dream - but only if we keep winning."

*swoon*

Coloccini Daring To Dream

By Dan King - Newcastle United Club Reporter

Magpies captain Fabricio Coloccini believes Newcastle can start to adjust their targets after climbing up to fifth in the Barclays Premier League following Wednesday night's 2-0 win at Blackburn Rovers.

United went above Arsenal with their latest success, coupled with the Gunners drawing against Bolton, and the three points gained at Ewood Park took them up to 39 for the season.

That is one short of the magic 40 point mark which is said to guarantee top flight survival - and Argentina international Coloccini admitted that the players and fans could begin to aim higher now that their first aim has been all but met.

He spoke exclusively to nufc.co.uk after the victory, which came thanks to Scott Dann's own goal and Gabriel Obertan's injury time strike - plus a Tim Krul penalty save.

"We knew Blackburn would make it hard for us," said the classy defender, who turned 30 last month. "The game was probably not that good to watch, and sometimes we couldn't play our best football, but we showed the character of the team.

"It's good to win in this way, and we know now that we can have dreams because we're one point, maybe two points, away from the total you need to be safe.

"That's good, because we can look forward. Why not dream about playing in a European cup?

"I think it is okay to dream - but only if we keep winning."

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20120202/coloccini-daring-to-dream_2281670_2597417

Positive words. Us being 5th at this point will do no harm in accelerating his contract situation.

I honestly think he'd be daft to turn down a 5-year contract renewal. He can become a bit of a God here.

The sticking point is his international aspirations, which i have no grievances with. The best thing that could happen to us is him getting a call up. If he thinks there's more chance of him getting in the Argentina side by going to Spain or Italy, then that's going to be our biggest problem i think. But Jonas still gets in the squad so it's an odd one.

Guest icemanblue

Fifth, 21 points clear of the relegation zone, why is he even talking about being safe? :lol:

Because that was obviously our original target, which we're just about to pass?

Fifth, 21 points clear of the relegation zone, why is he even talking about being safe? :lol:

Because that was obviously our original target, which we're just about to pass?

Aye, but that target must have been eliminated ages ago. Has anyone even considered relegation since about the fifth game?

Yeah, i think it's okay to have been watching our backs, even though there was never a chance in hell that we'd be in any sort of relegation battle. Might even start to see the lads play with a bit more freedom, which could work in our favour.

Hopefully we stay in this race for 4th (a race we are definitely in) - what an incentive for the players/manager (and the owner). Could be a really exciting end to the season on the cards.

Buzzing at the moment.