Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/02/26/pards-keeps-his-cool-79310-30407634/

Fabricio Coloccini’s South American agent is holding out for more too, despite a deal on the table that would see him tied to the club until he’s 35 with a pay bump built in.

There seems to be an issue over an optional fifth year, which might require the defender to take a cut on his current terms. It is likely to be the skipper’s final big contract in professional football and a senior United source told the Sunday Sun the club are moving “heaven and earth” to try and get Coloccini signed up.

And Pardew is quick to point out that despite negotiations running far from smoothly, there is NO antagonism in the ongoing talks.

“We’ve had conversations with them all (in the last two weeks),” he said. “I can see a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel now. I can understand why fans are concerned but we’re making progress.

“It’s not easy, contracts, and we’re trying to do what’s best for the football club and what’s best for the player. Sometimes they are worlds apart.

“There has been a bit of antagonism with contracts in the past.

“There’s a lot more communication here and I think we’re trying to work through the process in a sensible manner.”

Is that right? He's 30 and he's looking for a 5 year contract?

I know the standard line is that the player is a mixture of Beckenbauer and Baresi and the owner is an evil miser, but if that article is true, it's no wonder it's taking a while to sort out.

When it's Kevin Nolan, i can understand reservations about handing out 5-year-contracts to 30-year-olds. Coloccini is just too important though, and it's not like he's radically going to tail off, he's too intelligent a player - the sort that can adapt to the drawbacks that come with age.

Four years with the option of a fifth would be ideal and i desperately hope there's a compromise to be found. I'm confident he'll stay tbh.

Not sure about that like. If the rumours are true that he's getting a pay rise from a possible 70k. Can any club afford cover at those rates.

Hope he signs but I hope we cover the eventualities somehow.

He's certainly not going to be cover the next three seasons though is he, and might be first choice for all five? He's also our captain and arguably the most consistent player at the club in terms of form and fitness. Colo's the sort of player that others want to come and play alongside,  he's worth it.

He needs look at Barton and Nolan for why the grass isn't always greener. I see an amicable solution in the near future.

or teams with european aspirations will come in for him, and he will look at Jose rather than barton and nolan

Not sure about that like. If the rumours are true that he's getting a pay rise from a possible 70k. Can any club afford cover at those rates.

He's certainly not going to be cover the next three seasons though is he, and might be first choice for all five? He's also our captain and arguably the most consistent player at the club in terms of form and fitness. Colo's the sort of player that others want to come and play alongside,  he's worth it.

http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/8919/loreal.png

http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/8919/loreal.png

Ever thought of a job in media? :)

Guest Heneage

He needs look at Barton and Nolan for why the grass isn't always greener. I see an amicable solution in the near future.

or teams with european aspirations will come in for him, and he will look at Jose rather than barton and nolan

Enrique's done himself no favours in my opinion. He'd have been far better off staying for a year and then leaving on a free. Liverpool won't part easily with him, and I can't see a club matching the asking price. He might win the Carling Cup but I can't see him being a Spain regular or even playing in the Champions League regularly.

We do seem to be very generous with some of our contracts. If you remember, we gave Williamson and Ranger five year deals.

It's hard to justify a 5 year contract for Colo. He can't afford to lose any more pace, and that's always liable to happen once a defender passes 30. He wouldn't get that long a deal anywhere else. And lastly, as the advert said, he's good but not that good.

We do seem to be very generous with some of our contracts. If you remember, we gave Williamson and Ranger five year deals.

It's hard to justify a 5 year contract for Colo. He can't afford to lose any more pace, and that's always liable to happen once a defender passes 30. He wouldn't get that long a deal anywhere else. And lastly, as the advert said, he's good but not that good.

It's not hard to justify a 5 year contract for Coloccini, his game doesn't revolve around pace, he's not going to forget how to read the game and that's by far his biggest asset.

It's not hard to justify a 5 year contract for Coloccini, his game doesn't revolve around pace, he's not going to forget how to read the game and that's by far his biggest asset.

:thup:

but if he gets slower ? not saying he will but it's a possibility, no amount of reading the game can make up for that. 3 yrs definitly, 4 yrs possibly, 5 and a pay rise seems pushing it.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

It's hard to justify not giving him his new contract. He's not really slow, he's been exposed by awful tactics and lack of midfield protection. He has an excellent body and fitness record, no issues keeping him for five years. Doubt the club see it that way however.

but if he gets slower ? not saying he will but it's a possibility, no amount of reading the game can make up for that. 3 yrs definitly, 4 yrs possibly, 5 and a pay rise seems pushing it.

Yeah, I'd have said a 3 year deal was about the norm for a player that age.

It's true that he relies on reading the game rather than pace, but at the top level, there really is such a thing as too slow. One injury - not necessarily a bad one - may be all it takes to expose him that bit too much.

Well, time him in the 100m dash right now, drop his pay 5k/wk for every .2s slower he gets.  Boom, problem solved.

edit: ReTime/ReTest at one random day per month so if he porks up but drops it he's not permanently hosed.