Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Thought he was poor for the goal. Should have tracked Keane's run rather than chase after the ball, particularly when he ended up being pretty much on top of Simpson.

I disagree. Simpson was (as usual) way out of position, so Coloccini went to deal with the initial threat of N'Zogbia carrying the ball. Simpson chose to jog a few yards behind Coloccini in the same position instead of heading centrally to cover Coloccini's usual position, which would have been marking Keane.

Obviously, Jonas should have never surrendered possession as cheaply as he did in the first place too.

Indeed. Earlier on in the half Colo had to go and cover for Simpson by getting across to N'Zogbia and closing down his cross (think it went out for a corner). He was simply doing the same thing again, whilst Simpson was ambling around aimlessly.

Is Coloccini the type to give Simpson an earful in such situations? Maybe those who sit behind the goals can help answer that?

seriously starting to worry about his contract now tbh :(

we've had a better season than any of us can imagine, we've invested in a new striker to help us push on. unless we offer him a contract that includes a massive pay cut (not wholly unlikely i admit) then the club's doing everything it can to make him want to stay. if he chooses to leave after the season we're having he was never gonna stay anyway.

Indeed. Earlier on in the half Colo had to go and cover for Simpson by getting across to N'Zogbia and closing down his cross (think it went out for a corner). He was simply doing the same thing again, whilst Simpson was ambling around aimlessly.

Is Coloccini the type to give Simpson an earful in such situations? Maybe those who sit behind the goals can help answer that?

He got stuck into him, aye.

Well the Spurs game at St. James' last season comes to mind. I remember Colo (and Harper) giving Simpson a right earful after we conceded that late Lennon goal (Simpson kept backing off which allowed Lennon too much space).

Thought he was poor for the goal. Should have tracked Keane's run rather than chase after the ball, particularly when he ended up being pretty much on top of Simpson.

Totally agree.

I haven't seen it again other than live so may be wrong (will be watching the highlights later) but from memory wasn't Colo closer to N'Zogbia than Simpson? If that is right then surely it was him who was covering for Simpson by doing the RB's job and so Simpson should have been filling in for Colo in the middle rather than making his way toward N'Zogbia?

As I said could be completely wrong, might have got it confused with the situation where Colo got across and headed N'Zogbia's cross out for a corner.

Totally agree.

I haven't seen it again other than live so may be wrong (will be watching the highlights later) but from memory wasn't Colo closer to N'Zogbia than Simpson? If that is right then surely it was him who was covering for Simpson by doing the RB's job and so Simpson should have been filling in for Colo in the middle rather than making his way toward N'Zogbia?

As I said could be completely wrong, might have got it confused with the situation where Colo got across and headed N'Zogbia's cross out for a corner.

Zog was running towards the box, no midfielders were anywhere near him, he had a free run, Colo went out to close him down, force him wide which he duly did. Simpson sort of doubled up on Zog but he allowed the Zog to be on top of him before he started running, then Zog just cruised past him. Given that Colo was pushing Zog wide i think Simpson could have started actually RUNNING earlier to match Zog, as it was, it looked like a really poorly timed sprint relay where the receiver is dead still until the other guy actually hands him the baton!

Cos instead of McLeish going in at half time and saying "keep doing what you're doing" and them possibly getting an equalizer in the second half and the players naturally pushing on from there, we had him blatantly telling them "that'll do, stop playing now, preserve the point"

Completely agree, and i actually thought so at the time tbh. I could see another Fulham type thing coming had we gone in 1-0 at half-time. They deserved to be level and had they equalised after half-time, Pardew we wouldn't have been able to address it properly.

Completely agree, and i actually thought so at the time tbh. I could see another Fulham type thing coming had we gone in 1-0 at half-time. They deserved to be level and had they equalised after half-time, Pardew we wouldn't have been able to address it properly.

They deserved to be level whether they scored or not, Pardew knew this and would have addressed it at ht.

Aye, I could see us getting even more complacent in the second.. As soon as they equalized, I just knew we would be more determined and focused after half time..