Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Assuming he gets back to full health, is Colo a first-choice CB for Argentina?

Nay. He'll be in the squad again though, fair chance he'll force himself in pre-WC. They've a settled (and winning) team at the mo.

Nay. He'll be in the squad again though, fair chance he'll force himself in pre-WC. They've a settled (and winning) team at the mo.

Who's starting for them atm? Mascherano and Garay?

Speaking of Toon defenders, I thought Venison was a very good defender for us overall and so too was Peacock despite his critics. Howey was the one though who could have become something special if not for his injuries.

I don't agree about Howey, Bobby getting £3 million from Man City for him was robbery.

Who's starting for them atm? Mascherano and Garay?

Garay and Fernandez, both youngish n all so I think they're trying to bed them in long term, Mascherano plays DM for Argentina with Gago.

Did Peacock really have one leg longer than the other or was someone winding me up at some point?

He did...

Funny that. Peacock's wife used to go to the same gym in Newburn. She had terrible problems with bad skin on her legs.

Howey was by far the more naturally talented defender.

I'm not sure that's true, he would often be out of position and like Williamson spent far too much time pulling at the opposition because of his limitations.

Some googling found this article from years ago as first result for some reason

Fabricio Coloccini's agent, Marcelo Lombilla, has accused Newcastle of hampering their chances of cashing in on the defender.

The Argentine moved for around £10million from Deportivo La Coruna last summer but failed to live up to his billing as the Magpies dropped down to the Championship.

Despite a season of irregular form, the 27-year-old is still highly regarded in Spain and is thought to be attracting strong interest from Real Zaragoza.

However, any potential move to suit all parties involved is being disrupted by Newcastle's reluctance to talk business as club owner Mike Ashley awaits a buyer, much to Lombilla's dismay.

"For weeks now, I only hear silence from Newcastle," Lombilla told The Chronicle.

"After the relegation, the directors seemed to decide to sell Fabricio. But I have heard no more details.

"Now, without more information, the chances to sell him look negative."

The Argentine international is also being tracked by Sevilla and Italian duo Lazio and Fiorentina, but Lombilla insists only Zaragoza have approached him.

"I have spoken with them, but without knowing Newcastle's position, it's nearly impossible to do a deal," warned Lombilla.

The lack of communication threatens to devalue Coloccini's worth with clubs now reportedly only willing to pay around £4million for his services, while others would prefer a loan deal.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_5402270,00.html

How far we've come, bloody hell thank f*** we didn't sell him.

Some googling found this article from years ago as first result for some reason

Fabricio Coloccini's agent, Marcelo Lombilla, has accused Newcastle of hampering their chances of cashing in on the defender.

The Argentine moved for around £10million from Deportivo La Coruna last summer but failed to live up to his billing as the Magpies dropped down to the Championship.

Despite a season of irregular form, the 27-year-old is still highly regarded in Spain and is thought to be attracting strong interest from Real Zaragoza.

However, any potential move to suit all parties involved is being disrupted by Newcastle's reluctance to talk business as club owner Mike Ashley awaits a buyer, much to Lombilla's dismay.

"For weeks now, I only hear silence from Newcastle," Lombilla told The Chronicle.

"After the relegation, the directors seemed to decide to sell Fabricio. But I have heard no more details.

"Now, without more information, the chances to sell him look negative."

The Argentine international is also being tracked by Sevilla and Italian duo Lazio and Fiorentina, but Lombilla insists only Zaragoza have approached him.

"I have spoken with them, but without knowing Newcastle's position, it's nearly impossible to do a deal," warned Lombilla.

The lack of communication threatens to devalue Coloccini's worth with clubs now reportedly only willing to pay around £4million for his services, while others would prefer a loan deal.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_5402270,00.html

How far we've come, bloody hell thank f*** we didn't sell him.

Reminds me of this match report:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/5380230/Aston-Villa-1-Newcastle-United-0-Match-report.html

Mostly lies and journo bias, like. Wanker.