Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Problem is we haven't got a single player in the squad worthy of being club captain.

If its not a disinterested mercenary arsehole it's a very average player or someone whose never fit, so it really doesn't matter who wears the band, if possible I wouldn't give to any of them, none of them have stepped up to claim it when Colo's future was looking uncertain. I doubt any of them have the intelligence, charisma and certainly the bollocks to be a real club captain.

Call me old fashioned, but I don't like the idea of the club captain being on the other side of the globe for weeks on end.

Whether personal circumstances have dictated it, or whether he just doesn't fancy it any more, I genuinely don't see him as committed to the club any more. That's a grave shame because I've never seen a defender so consistently excellent like he was for the first two seasons back up. He was a credit to the club at that point and his performances, coupled with stories from other players off-the-pitch, left him worthy of the captaincy. I don't know the inner-workings of the dressing room, but I don't think the captaincy is a token gesture - it certainly shouldn't be, anyway. Theoretically, you should have leaders all over the pitch, but I believe the official captain should be tasked with going above and beyond the call of duty; an authority on the pitch, present when unfit (especially at an event that holds the gravitas of the derby), and be a general ambassador for the club. Colo's none of those things.

:dontknow:

:clap: The same thing I've been saying.

It's strange because Luke Edwards was at Uni for a talk yesterday and he was talking about the story that got him banned by the club (fractured dressing room etc). He said that Colo was the only thing holding the dressing room together because he sets high professional standards and the players respect the hell out of him. Yet this is the same Colo that runs off home when we're in relegation trouble, about to face Sunderland etc. He's become a lousy captain, full of double standards.

Guest icemanblue

It's strange because Luke Edwards was at Uni for a talk yesterday and he was talking about the story that got him banned by the club (fractured dressing room etc). He said that Colo was the only thing holding the dressing room together because he sets high professional standards and the players respect the hell out of him. Yet this is the same Colo that runs off home when we're in relegation trouble, about to face Sunderland etc. He's become a lousy captain, full of double standards.

Oh aye? What are these then?

Call me old fashioned, but I don't like the idea of the club captain being on the other side of the globe for weeks on end.

Whether personal circumstances have dictated it, or whether he just doesn't fancy it any more, I genuinely don't see him as committed to the club any more. That's a grave shame because I've never seen a defender so consistently excellent like he was for the first two seasons back up. He was a credit to the club at that point and his performances, coupled with stories from other players off-the-pitch, left him worthy of the captaincy. I don't know the inner-workings of the dressing room, but I don't think the captaincy is a token gesture - it certainly shouldn't be, anyway. Theoretically, you should have leaders all over the pitch, but I believe the official captain should be tasked with going above and beyond the call of duty; an authority on the pitch, present when unfit (especially at an event that holds the gravitas of the derby), and be a general ambassador for the club. Colo's none of those things.

He is no use to use when he is injured, it makes no difference if he is at the training ground, in Argentina or on the moon.

:lol:

He is no use to use when he is injured, it makes no difference if he is at the training ground, in Argentina or on the moon.

:thup: Considering we know he has had family issues too it would make more sense to let the man go home and see his own fucking family....

:thup: Considering we know he has had family issues too it would make more sense to let the man go home and see his own f***ing family....

Agreed.  We've got to keep him on side until we decide we can pick up another CB of equal quality.  God knows where we will get that from.

May as well let him go see his family and help him out a bit, whilst he is injured.

That or chain the fucking falklands wanting cunt to a radiator.  :lol:

Would've made sense to tear up his existing contract on the basis that he'd play for us this season for nominal wages on a one-year deal. As it stands he's earning massive wages and will walk away in the summer for next to nowt.

Amazing that the captain of Newcastle United is going to quit us in the middle of his contract to play for a Mickey Mouse side in a corrupt banana republic and people are lining up to defend him. That's before you even consider how crap and gutless his performances have been.

I think people are getting too caught up on this captain thing like.

Same. There's obviously been a lot going on in Colo's life for the past year. If it means he wants to go home while injured then I don't really care, it'll be better for him and us in the long run. I don't think it makes him a shit captain to put his personal life above his professional one, nor does it mean he doesn't care about the club.

I think people are getting too caught up on this captain thing like.

A captain is important at the best of times. The lack of leadership in the dugout and the rest of the side gives further rise to the position.

Would've made sense to tear up his existing contract on the basis that he'd play for us this season for nominal wages on a one-year deal. As it stands he's earning massive wages and will walk away in the summer for next to nowt.

Amazing that the captain of Newcastle United is going to quit us in the middle of his contract to play for a Mickey Mouse side in a corrupt banana republic and people are lining up to defend him. That's before you even consider how crap and gutless his performances have been.

Im not exaclty happy with whats gone on but he is a player we need at the moment.

There are not many countries you like. :lol:

Spot on

He didn't offer himself the captaincy. He accepted that and signed a 5 year deal before his family fucked off to Argentina, I'm guessing his mindset changed a little bit after that like.

I don't like it but I'm not going to go too overboard about it. No matter who has the armband in our side it'll mean very little imo, we haven't got a proper captain.

Until we buy someone else, he's our best centre half and we need him. So keeping him content is fine by me.

Why do we need to keep him content though?

Personally speaking I think he should be receiving treatment here and reporting to training daily. He's not on holiday and we are still paying his wages after all

Which countries do you think I dislike, out of interest?

I'm sure there's nothing sinister going on but this is news I didn't want to read/hear especially on the back of the shitstorm that happened last season. Meh, I won't comment on this any further - there's no point really, we can speculate all we want but at the end of the day the speculation will do us no good, we just have to concentrate on more pressing issues, namely the Derby this Sunday.

When Colo comes back, that's great but until then we'll have to work with what we've got.

Which countries do you think I dislike, out of interest?

I don't know, just saw your comments about Hungary last week. Nothing major.