Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Another great game yesterday, as highlighted above, the way he worked the ball out of defence in the corner was class. I also loved the absolute beast of a sliding tackle he did on Hoilett (I believe it was him).

Aye' it was.

Will be gutted if he doesn't get a new contract like.

Absolute class act, reads the game to perfection.

His game has never really been based around speed and strength either, so he should have plenty of good years left in him. Can understand the board wanting a wage cap of some sort, especially when it comes to signing new players. But surely Colo should be worth paying over the usual max wage for, he's just fucking immense.

That's still another good 3-4 years for a center back, hope Mike sees it the same way too. It's all good scouting for gems for peanuts, nice to be pleasantly surprised with the like of Tiote, Cabaye, but we also need to keep a core of players as our backbone to have some stability and Colo is the center part of our backbone!

That's still another good 3-4 years for a center back, hope Mike sees it the same way too. It's all good scouting for gems for peanuts, nice to be pleasantly surprised with the like of Tiote, Cabaye, but we also need to keep a core of players as our backbone to have some stability and Colo is the center part of our backbone!

Despite all the optimism we (rightly) have here at the moment - I can't see Ashley changing his transfer policy. Colo will be sold as will Jonas and Krul as soon as a decent offer comes in. Back to reality.

The only thing that could change that is a change of owner or us getting back to European football.

Especially as it would cost around £10-15M to even "try" to replace him, and that would still be a gamble of the highest order as the new player probably wont be as good for our team/club, that's how good he is for us imo, in many ways.

Despite all the optimism we (rightly) have here at the moment - I can't see Ashley changing his transfer policy. Colo will be sold as will Jonas and Krul as soon as a decent offer comes in. Back to reality.

The only thing that could change that is a change of owner or us getting back to European football.

Whilst I've terribly disappointed with the sale of Enrique and not reinvesting the money we got from Carroll, I'd like to wait and see how he deals with Colo (not so much Jonas). His circumstance is quite different from any of the players we've sold so far.

He's a top 4 defender in probably the form of his life, we can't make a profit on him and it would cost far more to replace him, so I think there's a reasonable chance that he can sign a new deal.

I think/hope so as well, easily our most important player with Tiote, maybe even more important than The Machine if i had to choose one.

Two moments of pure class from him on Saturday:

i) First half when 1 v 1 against Hoilett. Was in the corner where I was sat, and Hoilett took a touch that put the ball slightly too far in front of his stride. Colo saw his opportunity and put in a perfectly timed slide tackle, taking ball and man. Then, he was the first to react and get up, take control of the ball and just casually play it off Hoilett for a goal kick. Just completely took control of a dangerous situation and took possession back for us.

ii) Second half in the opposite corner of the pitch. I think he chased down a through ball under pressure from a Blackburn player. Most players would have put it out for a throw-in to them right in our corner, but he controlled it, held their player off, got his head up and played a pass out to Ryan Taylor. Was only a simple pass but the presence of mind and calmness to do that in our own corner with a player pressurising him was brilliant. I think that move then ended up with us either having an effort on their goal or a throw-in deep in their half.

Just 2 little things that I think really set him apart from a lot of centre halves in the league. He can play it safe when he has to, but the ability he has on the ball and his reading of the game in tight situations just brings a calmness to our defending that we have lacked for so many years. Absolutely love the guy.

Needs a new contract. Get it sorted.

This. And it needs to be done now, before his inevitable star man performances for the rest of the season alert the various shark agents turning his head. Put a 6 year deal on the table, give him his current wage which is outside the structure but he is captain FFS (but remember the relegation clause this time Decka). Put down a marker now to agents and other clubs that we are prepared to fight to keep our top players, and if Colo commits signs, less chance of the likes of Tiote, Cabaye and Ben Arfa looking for moves if they also have a storming season.

In Garth Crooks team of the week on the BBC - and apparently completed 41 of his 43 attempted passes on Saturday.