Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Even my brother still thinks he's shit, which is embarrassing for him IMO. Can't believe that someone who watches us on a somewhat regular basis (he doesn't watch us anywhere near as much as I do) can have  that opinion on him.

Argies want to usher in a new generation of defenders allegedly. dunno why they're picking the likes of demichelis ahead of him though.

was just thinking, is there a team in britain where colo wouldn't walk straight into the first XI? Would be a clear starter for man utd, city, arsenal, liverpool, spurs imo.

At Chelsea I think he's now individually better than Terry (who is past his peak) and Luiz (erratic and not yet at his peak) but then Terry is the captain and i'm not sure the universe is ready for Luiz and Colo together...

Let's hope that most clubs share Alan Brazil's opinion when he said on his show the other day that he doesn't rate him.

That bloke is an utter tosser though, prehistoric views and constantly talks over people and repeats himself to somehow drive his point home.  Also said Mike Ashley is one of a few owners in the league who could write a cheque for £50 odd million and barely bat an eyelid :facepalm:

Unlike Durham and Gough, he seems pretty serious with what he says, as the show isn't based on getting callers to phone in and waste loads of money arguing the toss.

Steve Wraith on toon talk last night was saying Colocinni is better than Woodgate, not just based on ability but based on ability to stay fit and turn out for us etc.

His consistency is amazing now, playing Carling Cup games as well FFS. Just as well like, as we'd be fooked if he got injured.

Colo getting a call-up would be great news for us tbh. He's still got plenty left in the tank, and i fear he's gonna start wondering whether or not he can make the Argie team again whilst at our club. If he seeks a move for that reason (ie, having overcome the obstacles of being dicked around by owners), it'd be tragic.

Jonas plays for us and is a regualr squad member though.

Don't see what that has to do with anything, other than add confusion to the fact that Colo doesn't seem anywhere near the team. I'm saying that a call-up for him would be good for us, as it extinguishes one reason for Colo to get itchy feet at some point.

It's really annoying how people still think he's shit tbh. I feel like a right divvy when I try and tell people I think he's a CL level player.  :lol:

Yep, same here. My friends think I'm insane when I tell them I think he's world class.

Seriously though, if we let him walk because we're not willing to pay him more than the other players in the squad then it'll be criminal. He's worth more to us than any other two of them (barring any combination of Cabaye, Ben Arfa and Tiote maybe) put together, so I don't see why his pay can't reflect that.

If any of the rest of them have a problem with it tell them to play absolutely flawlessly for two years and then they'll get a similar deal.

Argies want to usher in a new generation of defenders allegedly. dunno why they're picking the likes of demichelis ahead of him though.

was just thinking, is there a team in britain where colo wouldn't walk straight into the first XI? Would be a clear starter for man utd, city, arsenal, liverpool, spurs imo.

At Chelsea I think he's now individually better than Terry (who is past his peak) and Luiz (erratic and not yet at his peak) but then Terry is the captain and i'm not sure the universe is ready for Luiz and Colo together...

Let's hope that most clubs share Alan Brazil's opinion when he said on his show the other day that he doesn't rate him.

That bloke is an utter tosser though, prehistoric views and constantly talks over people and repeats himself to somehow drive his point home.  Also said Mike Ashley is one of a few owners in the league who could write a cheque for £50 odd million and barely bat an eyelid :facepalm:

Unlike Durham and Gough, he seems pretty serious with what he says, as the show isn't based on getting callers to phone in and waste loads of money arguing the toss.

Exactly. Brazil is old school, he probably still believes a central defender should be the big stopper no nonsense hard man who should kick centre forwards up in the air first and ask questions later. Qualities like anticipation and reading the game probably don't even register in the old fool's mind. It's this type of thinking which would have seen us keeping Nolan and Barton, buying Peter Crouch for £10m then getting the lads together after training for a pie and a few pints down the pub after training.

Lack of formatting alert:

FABRICIO COLOCCINI wants to join his fellow countryman Jonas Gutierrez and commit his peak years to Newcastle United.Argentine winger Jonas has signed a new four-year deal with the Magpies, and the Chronicle understands Coloccini is ready to sit round the table and discuss a new contract at St James' Park.United officials are thought to be receptive to the idea, although the negotiations will be largely about the former La Liga star's weekly wage rather than the length of any potential new deal.Captain Colo has two years left of his existing deal and is understood to be the club's top earner on around £90,000 per week.Former Deportivo La Coruna and AC Milan defender Coloccini will be 30 in January, and knows the days of Newcastle paying out inflated wages are over.But the South American has always made his affection for the area and the club crystal clear.Speaking about the pair's love for the club, Gutierrez told the Chronicle: 'Colo and I love life at Newcastle and want to spend our best years here.'Since Newcastle returned to the Premier League, Colo has been in great form.'This wasn't a surprise for me because I played against him many times in La Liga when he was at Depor and I was at Real Mallorca.'He is a very important player for us. He is doing really well as captain and he has a big experience of playing in first-class matches.'Jonas also feels Coloccini has been a real hit since taking over as captain from Kevin Nolan.He said: 'Colo is a really good guy, and I think all of the players like him.'They speak highly of him and he can tell them about all of the experience he has.'Many expected both Coloccini and Gutierrez to head for the exit door at the club's Benton base when their close pal Jose Enrique began to get itchy feet last January.But Newcastle's two Argentina international stars have proven to be refreshingly committed to the black-and-white cause through good times and bad.However, Jonas knows he has Sylvain Marveaux breathing down his neck in the battle for first-team places.Responding to the competition, Jonas said: 'It's OK, I never care about competition for place, it is good for football.'Everywhere I have played I have done so with competition.'I always do my best, and competition is also good for other players.'I have the opportunity to do my best from the start of the season.'I hope that I am prepared for that but we must find good results as well.'

"The Chronicle understands Coloccini is ready to sit round the table and discuss a new contract at St James’ Park. United officials are thought to be receptive to the idea, although the negotiations will be largely about the former La Liga star’s weekly wage rather than the length of any potential new deal."

You'd bloody well hope they are 'receptive' to the idea of our captain signing an extension!  :lol:

No quote from Colo himself or suggestion from Jonas about a new contract, obviously.

http://bit.ly/puOYdR

If that's all reflective of what he thinks great, sign him up, he's worth the wages even though he'll probably be the last for a while on them.

Also sign him up while we're still playing really well lol, if things go south he may change his mind, very glad club want to keep him though, much easier to keep him with 4 year contract should someone try and swoop in next year.

Stories like this are dangerous. It's the club moving via the Chronicle.

People will read that headline, won't realise there aren't any quotes whatsoever from the player and a few months down the line say "But he said he'll sign a new contract?"

It's stories like this that turn heroes into traitors...

Guest WashyGeordie

There's quotes from Jonas by SSN:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11678_7208560,00.html

Jonas Gutierrez claims fellow Argentine Fabricio Coloccini would be happy to follow his lead and sign a contract extension at Newcastle.

Gutierrez has penned a new four-year deal with the Magpies, committing his long-term future to the club.

It is claimed that Coloccini could be next to sign on, with fresh terms set to be discussed.

The Newcastle skipper still has two years left to run on his current deal, but talks are planned.

The South American has made his affection for the club clear in the past and Gutierrez believes he would not need much convincing to prolong his stay.

He told the Evening Chronicle: "Colo and I love life at Newcastle and want to spend our best years here.

"Since Newcastle returned to the Premier League, Colo has been in great form. This wasn't a surprise for me because I played against him many times in La Liga when he was at Depor and I was at Real Mallorca.

"He is a very important player for us. He is doing really well as captain and he has a big experience of playing in first-class matches."

People will read that headline, won't realise there aren't any quotes whatsoever from the player and a few months down the line say "But he said he'll sign a new contract?"

Think that's taking it a bit far, isn't it just the normal rumour and speculation that surrounds these things?

Think that's taking it a bit far, isn't it just the normal rumour and speculation that surrounds these things?

Only time will tell, I suppose. The best we can hope for is the club to offer him a deal at the summit of the wage cap.

How's that United 4 Newcastle pressure group coming along ColochotheClown?

United For Newcastle is GallowgateKev, so a shambles, obviously.