Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Better than Woodgate for me now. Since he's made of pure Titanium

Thought he's been better than Woodgate for a while now. Woodgate was brilliant, but the way people talk about him it's as if he's completely faultless.

Im guessing he will know we will be offering him less wages, so assuming he is willing to talk, he may well be willing to accept a pay cut. If he is on 80k a week for two more years, surely 60k a week over 4/5 years will be acceptable.

Maybe we could give him a 2 year extension where he's paid his current wage for the next two years and then a new reduced wage for a further 2 years.

I know we're a club with what seems like a very strict wage cap in place, but in pure employment terms, a pay cut as a reward for consistently performing better than your peers is a really shitty incentive to carry on giving your all.

He should be rewarded for how outstanding he's been and at least stay on his wages. Not likely I know but still...

Thought he's been better than Woodgate for a while now. Woodgate was brilliant, but the way people talk about him it's as if he's completely faultless.

Yep, Woodgate certainly made mistakes, like all defenders - including probably the costliest mistake I've ever seen at SJP.

Colo contributes more to our overall play than Woodgate did.

Im guessing he will know we will be offering him less wages, so assuming he is willing to talk, he may well be willing to accept a pay cut. If he is on 80k a week for two more years, surely 60k a week over 4/5 years will be acceptable.

Maybe we could give him a 2 year extension where he's paid his current wage for the next two years and then a new reduced wage for a further 2 years.

I know we're a club with what seems like a very strict wage cap in place, but in pure employment terms, a pay cut as a reward for consistently performing better than your peers is a really shitty incentive to carry on giving your all.

He should be rewarded for how outstanding he's been and at least stay on his wages. Not likely I know but still...

If he's as good as he is now in 4 years time, you'd have a very good case. I'd agree that he should still be top class at that point, but at some point he inevitably wont be, and you don't pay players ludicrous sums well into their dotage.

/unless your name is Alan Smith. O0

Yeah that's true. You could get round that by offering a lower basic wage then an appearance fee that bumps it up. That way it's still a reward for the players performance, and a bit of security for the club if his legs fall off.

Sorry like, but until Colo came along Woodgate was the best CB we'd had in the Premier League IMO. The talk was justified.

Sorry like, but until Colo came along Woodgate was the best CB we'd had in the Premier League IMO. The talk was justified.

Saw some unbelievable performances from the lad. Colo is fantastic, but I still think Woodgate is the best natural defender I have seen for us, just pissed it all up the wall.

Yep, Woodgate certainly made mistakes, like all defenders - including probably the costliest mistake I've ever seen at SJP.

Colo contributes more to our overall play than Woodgate did.

What mistake was that?  The costliest one ever seen?

If he was 25-26 or so I'd agree, but he's 29 and is contracted until he's 31.  If the club offered to give him a new contract where he stays at £80k until he's 31 and then moves to 65k until he's 33 then I think that would show that the club certainly appreciate him and are pretty desperate for him to stay.  Because its a far better deal than any other player at the club would get given the same situation (age and current contract).  It also seems pretty unlikely that any other club would beat that offer (it would average out to over £72k a week for the next 4 years).

I don't know, its a difficult one, I just don't think any player at this club should be getting £80k at 33 years old, but like you say maybe we'll do something with bonuses to make it look like less of a pay cut.  Either way we have to do everything possible to keep him.

:nods:

Partizan.

Yep... Still think about it today... If ever a club's destiny/downfall could be pinpointed with one moment... Then that is still the one for me... Should of just let the ball go out for a throw beside their corner flag... Meanwhile... Several years later...

He was, without doubt the best we'd had. But I still think people, especially on here, are guilty of bigging him up just a little too much.

He was, without doubt the best we'd had. But I still think people, especially on here, are guilty of bigging him up just a little too much.

Nah - there was a period when he was absolutely immense. As much as I love Colo I've seen nowt like Woodgate in our defence since he left.

Maybe. But what was special with Woody was his age, only 23 years old and already one of the best stoppers in the league. What a career this man could have had if it wasn't for all those injuries.

If I should point at one or two weaknesses in Colo's play it's his capabilities in the air, and his marking in the box. He sometimes forgets his man. That's where Woody surpassed him